Nautkia, and the South

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Nautkia, and the South

Post by Graybeard »

Dirienzal stared at the oversized, talking rodent's face in his crystal ball. "This is a private network. Leave at once or ... your access will be revoked."

Somehow, the threat didn't sound all that convincing.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Harker smiled broadly. His teeth seemed very sharp somehow. "Aw, c'mon now, Beebee! That's no way to talk to an old friend! We go way back, you and me! And there's so, so much ta catch up on!" Harker paused for effect. "Like your fondness for cantaloupe-flavored-"

Harker was cut off by Dirienzal's choke of indignation and horror. To Argus' astonishment, the man was turning bright purple. A combination of utter hate and purest fear was etched upon his features. His eyes looked suddenly hunted.

Argus was enjoying every moment of this.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Dirienzal's complexion changed a shade or two closer to normal -- maybe plum-colored -- as he struggled for self-control, eventually finding enough to speak again. "Ah, yes. I remember you, and of course, your ... friend ... whose name I shall not dignify by mentioning it. I'm surprised you haven't been turned into a nice hat by now -- but let it pass. I'm a busy man, rodent. What causes you to intrude on my privacy?"

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"For starters, to see if someone's changed your physical structure into something not hideous. I hear lipo works wonders." Harker quipped all this as if discussing the weather. Dirienzal's reaction was to become very purple again.

"Now, you listen, you little abomination of familiarhood!" Is that a real word? Argus wondered. "I am engaged in very important research and don't have time to throw you scraps! So why don't you-"

"What research, Beebee?" asked Harker in a deadpan voice. Dirienzal stilled in response, then his eyes narrowed.

"Oh. I see. Want some information, yes? Going to force it out of me, yes? Well, I think not! Revyl Dirienzal bows to no-"

"How many people would like to know about your pastime, Beebee?" Harker asked this with a decidedly unsettling grin. "How many people would be... interested? Should I consult my little address book?" Dirienzal reacted to this in a rather interesting way. Specifically, he became very still, his face became chalk-white, and his eyes seemed ready to pop out of their sockets. Argus suddenly realized that behind the bluster, Harker had pretty much had the man from the word go.

"There's no need to be rude," said Dirienzal, sounding nervous at last. "Look, what do you want?!"

"Information on that Veracian desk, Revvy," Harker said with a more familiar grin. "An' that's all. Seriously."

Argus couldn't help but note that Harker's speech patterns had changed when talking to... well, THREATENING Dirienzal. He wondered where Harker had learned that icy tone of voice, that ruthlessness.

With a sudden chill, wondered how some of his former colleagues had looked at him.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Dirienzal's face changed from outrage tinged with fear to simple puzzlement. "What's to say about it? It was a simple, uninteresting desk. I was able to work out where it was made, somewhere in the forests of that backward and fanatically religious land. Its whole history en route to the nest of spies in Kiyoka is an open book to me. But it is utterly unexceptional. Why the fuss about it?"

By now Sister Rose and Brother Miguel were listening, and Rose mouthed conspicuously at Harker, ask him about the aura of death. Harker complied.

"Aura of death?" Dirienzal said, his puzzlement growing. "I had a specific test up for that, at the specific request of our Dean of Thaumaturgy. There wasn't one. Period. End of story. Now what business is it of yours, pest?"

Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: And with that, I'm out of here for about ten days, and may be unable to post for much of that time. Drannin and I have worked out a few things off line regarding the interaction with Dirienzal to keep a bit of movement while I'm gone. Go wild, D. ;) I'll be back around the 25th.

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Harker blinked. This was not what he had been expecting. Argus blinked. Wait a minute... Dirienzal seems calm enough... but...

Argus caught Harker's eye. He's hesitating, he mouthed to Harker. Harker nodded and turned back to Dirienzal. "And?"

"And nothing! Now are you done wasting my time?! I Have important matters to attend to, and little patience for-"

"Beebee, you're not fooling anyone." Dirienzal bliked at this. "You're hesitating. Just slightly, but it's there. Now what is it? What are you not telling us?"

Dirienzal became very still. "Well..." he said hesitantly. "It's nothing, really... Just that my initial probe, ah, backfired. Just an error, I'm sure, on the part of my useless assistants..." Dirienzal shifted uncomfortably. "Ah, there was something of an explosion... some machinery got ruined... a crystal ball exploded..." The man was clearly uncomfortable now. "And, uh... well..." Dirienzal was clearly squirming now.

"Spit it out, Beebee."

"Stop calling me... oh, never mind. Look, I stumbled, fell, and knocked myself out, all right?! It was absolutely humiliating, and I do not wish to discuss it!" Harker suppressed a malicious chuckle at this as did Argus. Their mirth faded at one look at Dirienzal's face. That look... it was...

"Tell the truth, Dirienzal." Harker carefully used the real name and made his voice as authoritative as possible. Which meant: not very, but it got the job done.

Revyl Dirienzal sighed. "I touched the desk mentally, and I got knocked unconscious. I don't know how, and I don't know why, and it really bothers me." Argus nodded at this. He had had the same thing happen to him. But Argus was pretty sure that he hadn't had that look he saw right now right in Dirienzal's eyes.

As much as the man wanted to deny it, Revyl Dirienzal was very, very afraid.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

A crystal ball exploded, Sister Rose thought. Coincidence? She doubted it.

"Ask him about Damyo," she mouthed to Harker, hoping that he wouldn't misinterpret the suggestion.

[OOC: Briefly in, but probably out of touch for a while now...]

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Harker looked at Dirienzal speculatively. "So... heard that Professor Damyo bit it. Must be glad to have a competitor outta the way, huh?" Harker's grin faded at the look on Revyl Dirienzal's face. The man looked stricken, horrified, and stunned all at the same time.

"W...What do you take me for, you little beast?" Dirienzal asked in a shocked whisper. "I won't profess to being the kindest being in the world; I am devoted to my art, and have no time for pleasantries! And I don't claim to have ever liked Damyo; the man was an aggravation, and stole others' research. But I didn't hate the man! I never wanted him dead! At the very least, I could respect his work, if not the man himself! Good lord, do you really think I'm that cold-blooded!?" Dirienzal was clearly very upset.

"Um... no?" Harker was totally taken aback by this response.

"Look, I didn't like him. I didn't hate him. I wanted him exposed for a thief, not killed. There's a difference." Dirienzal spoke slowly and carefully, as though to a child. "It's... a shame, really. For all his faults, the man did good work." The professor sighed. "Look, all I know is that when the crystal ball exploded, he was caught in the blast. He was relatively unharmed, and the lifemages healed him. The next morning, he was found dead, from no discernible cause." Dirienzal soke evenly now, clearly not seeing any more point in withholding information.

"And... that's it? Nothin' else?" Harker was clearly startled by the turn things had taken. He wasn't alone, there.

"Well... it's silly but...some of the assistants swore that Damyo's eyes were glowing red in the aftermath of the blast, but it faded. Personally, I think they were seeing things. Nothing else, really." The area became very, very quiet in the wake of this pronouncement.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Red eyes? Lillith fidgeted. That didn't sound good. Not at all.

In her faith, they believed many things. They believed in the spirits, certainly. Beings that had some enlightenment they could impart if they were so disposed, and properly approached and well treated. People could gain a great deal of power that way, though it was hoped they would always use that power for the good of those around them rather than for any personal gain. But not all spirits were so pleasant. Some could be very dangerous if they were offended. And some, well... Some were always offended no matter what.

Could that have explained the red eyes? If so, would that be something Tsuirakuans and their lack of religious faith be equipped to handle?