Lorenzel, Part 2

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: Lorenzel, Part 2

Post by Porcelain Fish »

[OOC:Sorry for being MIA folks. Life has been . . . interesting. Lol. Oh, this is a long one. Edit: Also, content may make some folks uncomfortable due to theme. And moving on to morning is good[:/ooc]
Spoiler: show
“So what brings a Tsuirakuan to our little corner of the world?” Mr. Wolf (John, Maduin reminded himself) asked as he set down his wine glass.

“I’m here on personal business.” Maduin smiled back at him, just drinking in the other’s physical perfection. Keeping watch on my best friend’s dad didn’t seem quite like an appropriate admission to make with a gentleman one had just met. “I wanted to get out of the city, see a little something of the world.” Find my true love.

John’s own smile widened. “Lorenzel does have its charms. I could show you around.”

Maduin’s smile turned wistful. “I’d love to, but I’m afraid I’m actually leaving tomorrow.”

John’s eyebrows rose briefly. “That’s a shame.”

They were interrupted briefly by the waiter taking their orders, and for some reason, Maduin felt the faintest hint of . . . strangeness as those green eyes turned once more to his. He brushed it away, dismissing it as nerves.

“I’ve traveled fairly extensively myself around Veracia and Farrel, even to Tsuiraku and the Northern Confederacy. There’s a lot to see.” John took another sip of his wine. “Where are you headed next? I might be able to recommend a few sights.”

Maduin felt unspeakably awkward. He couldn’t exactly say he didn’t know. “Oh, I was thinking Centoriel next. I’ve heard the churches there have some lovely murals.”

John’s brow furrowed briefly, but his expression cleared almost immediately. “There’s a nice little chapel dedicated to Saint Ajora. It’d definitely be worth your time.” He stood abruptly, gesturing towards the open space in front on the musicians. “I was planning to wait, but since we only have tonight . . . may I have this dance?”

Maduin sat where he was for a moment, surprised, but John made a beckoning gesture, almost impatient. Maduin stood, crossing to him, glancing surreptitiously around. No one was looking at them.

John murmured something to the musicians, and Maduin felt a delicious smile curve his lips even as heat rose to his cheeks. They started a samba, the beat brisk. He lost all track of time. He knew they ate at some point, drank more than was probably wise.

And they danced.

No one so much as glanced at them, never looking up from their meals. Maduin didn’t question it, barely spared them a glance, caught up in the feel of John’s body moving in tandem with his own, the tall, handsome brunette confidently taking the lead, every step sure and graceful.

They danced until the room emptied and the staff began putting up the chairs, and Maduin felt desire curl hot through him, complimenting the heat woken by their exertions.

“Stay with me tonight.” John stopped, green eyes intent, tone low, so close to commanding as to make no difference. He lowered his head, bending to meet Maduin’s lips with his own, holding the kiss for a long moment before he finally broke it. “Stay with me tomorrow. Don’t go. I’ll take you to Centoriel myself.”

Maduin almost did it. He was so close to the edge, wavering on it, drawn in completely. Fayna’s stormy gray eyes flashed in his mind. And to his surprise, Argus’s joined them. It was just barely enough.

He tried to step back, but John’s embrace was unrelenting. He shook his head. “I’m sorry. I can’t.”

John’s expression darkened. “That’s not the answer I want to hear.”

Maduin felt fear spike through him. The magic was there, almost as though it had been waiting for this very moment, shaping itself not into a shock bolt, but a coy, delicate enchantment, smooth and sweet and compelling.

“Please let me go,” he whispered.

John’s eyes widened, and then he breathed deeply, eyelids lowering slightly, grip relaxing, for all the world as though he were drinking the magic in.

Maduin stepped backward, and then turned and ran for the door.

He was calm by the time he got back to the inn only a pair of hours from dawn, in an almost dream-like daze. He ghosted inside, slipped up the stairs, and laid awake in his bed, clutching his pillow.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, it's now morning...]

Neither Sister Rose, Brad, nor Brother Miguel slept well that night, although all had different reasons for their restlessness. Nevertheless, the three were up with the sun, as usual, to say morning prayers outside the inn. However, they hadn't even started yet when Rose noticed a parrot waiting for them on the wagon. Very unusually, it had flown through the night; it still had its parrot-sized headlamp on. And it gave the highly sensitive MARIGOLD code word.

Rose frowned. "Hmmm. Not sure I can share this with you, Brad. It ... may be related to what I used to do." Brad nodded; he'd never really understood what Rose did in her old special-ops role, but it was sufficiently hush-hush that he wasn't going to pry. "Not to worry, I think Luminosita will forgive me if I sleep in this morning," he said, and wandered back to his room as Rose and the parrot exchanged the code words.

(LUMINOSITA'S SECRET) We have now succeeded in confirming the order (and yes, it really is an order) mentioned in our earlier message. It's extremely odd, but apparently legitimate, and the man in the Patriarch's office who issued it definitely has the authority, so:

(LUMINOSITA'S SECRET) You are to proceed to the small town of Gervasiel, a day's journey southwest of Lorenzel, and there meet a Professor Indianel, a scholar from Emerylon University who has been conducting certain excavations of a highly sensitive nature. He will transfer to you a certain object, known to us here only as the "Artifact of Absonial," that was discovered during the excavations. Once you are in possession of this artifact, you are to return post haste to the north, taking an overland route that avoids all known cities and centers of bandit activity, and deliver it to the Heretic Knowledge Vault in Emerylon. (Yes, I know, but it's not my idea.)

(LUMINOSITA'S SECRET) Given the sensitivity of this transfer, I was expecting to tell the two of you to break contact with the Tsuirakuans and half elf you are traveling with, and make this trip yourselves, just the two of you. However -- and this is one of the things that we went to some lengths to confirm, because of how odd it sounds -- your instructions are not to do so, but rather to take as many of them with you as would be the case if you were simply conducting them on a fact-finding mission associated with your primary purpose for being in the Lorenzel area. Furthermore, although you are to proceed immediately back to Emerylon once you have the Artifact of Absonial, you shouldn't bust your respective asses to get to Gervasiel; on the contrary, proceed at a normal traveler's pace. Evidently this professor is prepared to wait for you for as long as that takes.

(UNCLASSIFIED/FOUO) A possible point of confusion arising from this peculiar (IMO) instruction has to do with Brother Miguel's directive to return to Kiyoka. It looks like there is a clash between the two orders. (When has that ever happened before? Really.) We are attempting to resolve this, and will be back in touch later today, before the special transport arrives.

(LUMINOSITA'S SECRET) As noted, you are authorized, indeed encouraged, to take your traveling companions with you on this side trip. However, you are not under any circumstances to reveal these orders to them, or to engage in any speculation with them on the nature of the object you are going to retrieve. Some dumbass in the Patriarch's office says that that's the way to avoid arousing suspicions. Those people should get out into the field more.

(UNCLASSIFIED) More on this later today, via another MARIGOLD parrot. Good luck.

Bernie

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus stared in the mirror. All right. No more dawdling. I can't hide from Lillith forever. I can't just ecpect her to throw her arms around me and call me 'Dad,' but at least we can try to be civil to each other. Take things from there. See how it goes. He nodded to himself. It was a good plan. With a deep breath, Argus went to his door and opened it wide, greeting the day.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Maduin could hear the sounds of people beginning to rouse and move around in the other rooms. Sunlight was beginning to pour through the window, making a dappled pool on the floorboards. He climbed out of bed, the sheets still tucked in, only the pillow disturbed. A glance in the mirror showed him a pale reflection of himself, hair in disarray, eyes wide and faintly red from lack of sleep. His skin was paler than usual as well, clothes wrinkled.

He still felt a mixture of fear mixed with insidious desire, roiling together in a confusing tangle that left him torn halfway between regret and relief. He bathed, dressed in a simple gray robe and slacks with a white shirt, and gave his hair only a cursory brushing.

He paused again at the mirror before he walked out, composing himself, sealing away the conflict behind a pleasant smile, making sure that no hint of his distress was bleeding through his mask of calm, and walked out.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Her meditations had been difficult. Even with over thirty years of practice, she couldn't just pretend that her mind was calm when it had suffered the blows it had of late. The spirits had been hard to touch, hard to take peace and calm from. She had managed, but it hadn't been the communion she'd hoped for.

Sighing, Lillith had dressed, packed, and readied herself to travel. Leaving the room however, had been... She'd had to steel herself to do it. It had taken several minutes to convince herself that there were no fresh horrors waiting her,that there wasn't going to be some giant, ancient artifact declaring itself to be her long lost father before exploding and killing everyone, that today at least would be kind to her.

She reached up and took hold of the pendant dangling around her neck, closed her eyes, and whispered a quick prayer, then opened the door.

The moment she did, Lillith realized the hall wasn't empty. "Ah! Arg... ah..." She lowered her eyes, uncertain what to say.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

Argus' thoughts were readily apparent to any who saw his face.

"Uh," he started.

"Um..." he continued, diplomatically.

"Er..." he went on, Tsuirakuan upbringing clearly audible in his articulate speech patterns.

Argus considered, very briefly, that silent self-deprecation was not the way to go here.

"...'Morning," he said quickly, looking in the opposite direction.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"What was that all about?" Brother Miguel wondered, as the parrot expired. "It just makes no sense."

"I'm completely at sea here," Sister Rose agreed. "That was so weird that I wonder if the message got garbled somehow. Think we should ask for a confirmation?"

"That wouldn't be a bad idea. Let me get a bird launched back north. Hold some breakfast for me." Miguel bent to retrieve and prepare a parrot as Rose went back into the inn.

She spotted Argus in the hall, the look on his face suggesting that he'd just swallowed a watermelon. "Argus, we may have to make an unexpected detour on -- what's wrong?" And then she saw Lillith at the opposite end of the hall, with a similar look on her face, at least in profile.

"Oh."

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"Um." Argus was really on a roll today, given the quality of his dialogue since waking up.

Harker padded over. "Translated, that means 'good morning, and can you please help me defuse this awkward situation,' Miss Rose. Sister Rose, I mean." His part done, Harker padded off again.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose said a silent prayer, said, "Thank you, Harker. I'll try." She stepped around Argus so that she was between him and Lillith, yet visible to both.

"We have a busy day in front of us," she said. "Let's go to breakfast. I'm buying ... and we're all talking."

Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

"Sounds positively delightful," Maduin gushed as he emerged from his room, snagging Lillith's left arm and Argus's right and more or less towing them along. "A good breakfast is always the best way to start off the morning."

His eyebrows rose slightly. He hadn't missed the awkward moment between the older Tsuirakuan and the half-elf. "We have a great deal to discuss I'm sure, not the least important being where we're off to next I'd imagine." He winked at Sister Rose. "I could really go for a good omelet myself, you know . . ." Older gentleman and young lady firmly entrapped on either side of him, he filled the silence with sprightly small talk as they made their way to breakfast.