Rinkaiel, Part 2

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Rinkaiel, Part 2

Post by Graybeard »

"Ummm ... whatever," Joe said, not entirely bothered that Maya had sort of missed the point. That shop hadn't been quite the place he thought it was. Furthermore, he could all but see the stars and planets revolving around Jamie's head. Explaining this to Layla (not to mention Jasmine) was going to be ... interesting. To buy some time, he guided the hack deeper into Tsuiraku-town; there might be an actual apothecary there. Maybe.

------------

"That was quite a diaper," Faye observed to Jasmine as she changed one of Nera's seemingly endless supply of foul-smelling excretions. Her eyes had clouded from the stench, and it was just one diaper. "Maybe a diet change would help her out. Is she on solids yet?"

Now why was the other grandmother looking at Kalin that way? Faye decided she didn't want to know.

-----------

"I think I can get started already, if you're ready and available," Layla explained to her magic instructor. "We had a change of plans, and I'll be in town a while longer, maybe to stay. Can I get a head start on the lessons you've planned?"

Dasuke Kinabalu gave her a look that reminded Layla half of a fence inspecting some piece of heisted jewelry he'd been brought to turn into cash (she'd done that a time or two), half of a visitor to a zoo checking out an exotic and dangerous new animal. There was just something about the man that made her uncomfortable. Anyway, after gathering his thoughts, he answered. "We can probably do something to start. I have no more students today." (In fact, Layla observed, it didn't look like he'd had any earlier in the day either, or maybe at all, since the last time she'd been here.) "We will begin with some meditation."

"Say what?" Layla asked, puzzled. The Tsuirakuans weren't supposed to be very religious, and this sounded like some of the mumbo-jumbo coming from that cult in eastern Veracia, or one of the ones up north. "I thought it was magical instruction that I was here for, not meditation. I don't understand." She broke off, seeing that the man's expression had changed, to put it mildly.

"May I remind you, Miss Sorensen, that I am the instructor and you are the student," Kinabalu said, his voice dripping with condescension. "I know the reasons why meditation is the next step in your curriculum. It is not necessary that you know those reasons. Nevertheless, since you have not been through the ... preparations ... that students in my home country receive --" Layla thought she detected something peculiar in that home country phrase, but couldn't tell what it was -- "I shall explain. It is imperative, when performing magic, that you reach a state of inner equilibrium that allows you to focus your attention on the magical forces around you. Otherwise they will eat you alive. Practice in establishing that equilibrium is, shall I say, a safety measure. Now, let us begin."

"As you say." Layla was remembering the way she lost consciousness following the nastiness with that bitch Barb; the man had a point. She sank into a lotus position.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: This thread is getting kinda long by our standards. Any objections to opening a new "Tsuiraku-town" thread and simply picking up where we leave off? That's a purely administrative matter (as well as an opportunity to introduce a new character or two) and shouldn't affect the flow of events at all.

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[OOC]Fine with me[/OOC]
kagome_kino
Forum Regular

Post by kagome_kino »

OOC: sure
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: OK, so new thread will go up tonight. Feel free to post any parting shots here (surely there should be some by-play regarding Kalin as potential son-in-law for Jasmine...), as this thread will remain open until the other one is alive.