Salticiel and beyond

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Re: Salticiel and beyond

Post by Drusia »

"You monster!" Rose hissed at Drusia, and followed with mind-talk: <"We don't have much time. Better get going before my idiot cousin completely blows the charade. We'll catch up with you at the inn -- but there's some more acting to be done first.">

I grin impishly. "Ta ta," I say, holding up one hand to wave with just a flutter of my fingers. I call up a simple invisibility spell as I do so, with just a bit of flash added to make the whole affair look more impressive. I'm not entirely sure what Rose and Argus's skills include, but somehow I think I can assume that they aren't fooled. Which is fine - that was mostly for the onlookers, and maybe for Brad, to give the kid something to work with.

I head to the kitchen and exit by the back door. It's a short stroll back to the inn.

I find Maudin and, still invisible, I lean in next to his ear and whisper "Hey. Need a little help with some makeup."

-- Drusia

OOC: I couldn't remember where Maudin was, so I left that intentionally vague. ^^;

Edit: Literary adjustment for clarity.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose noted the blurring of reality that accompanied the invisibility spell. The spell worked just fine; I can't see her at all, and if I can't, then I'm pretty sure nobody in the room can except maybe for Argus. Now if she's true to her word ... and she has to be ... I have some work to do. "Miss?" she called to the barmaid, who was still in a state of hysterics. "Please join us for a prayer circle. This is important."

As the young woman emerged from the kitchen, only slightly less hysterical for the invitation, Rose cast the damping spell -- the Veracians would expect it -- and turned to Argus and Brad. "You two had better get Lillith back to the inn. This may take me a few minutes. And look as grim as you can on the way out." The men complied.

The damping field still in place, Rose beckoned the barmaid over to where the farm couple were starting to emerge from the shock. "Come, let us join hands," Rose said, in as calming a voice as she could manage. "A terrible thing has happened here. That elf killed a man, and if my friends can't rouse her, probably a woman as well. I think she was poisoned. We must pray for their souls, and then there is something very, very important that I want you to do."

The farmer's wife put up a tentative hand. "Uh, ma'am? Are you sure them mongrels be havin' souls? I mean, Dano lived here for a long time, an' we never saw him go to Lunosty's temple or nothin'." She indicated the body on the floor.

Uh, oh. This guy was a local... "Dano?"

"Yes'm," the farmer nodded. "He's the Mekky priest's nephew, or that's what they all be sayin', but he never oncet went to the Mekky temple or ours anyway. But why'd she do that? Old Dano never did nobody no harm, he was a little tetched in the head for sure, but he wouldn't be hurtin' a fly. Somehow he always thought that dagger o' his had healin' powers, and when somebody be gettin' sick, he'd be comin' around and touchin' it to 'em like the Mekkies are supposed to be doin'. Never did nobody no good that I be seein', but harmless enough ... so why'd she have to be killin' him?" His face started to cloud up again ...

... And Rose suddenly thought, damn good question, as she made calming noises and started the prayers.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

[OOC: Sorry for being MIA guys, the holidays are always unnecessarily (ludicrously) hectic. Anyway, now that I'm finally back home, with no running around to do, no relatives to pick up or ship out, no parties . . . back to life as usual thank God. /OOC]

Maduin blinked and glanced up from where he'd been laying out Lillith's funeral apparel in his room. It would have to be the blue-and-white rose dress of course. It was the prettiest thing out of the wardrobe he'd bought her at Lorenzel. He'd sorted through his cosmetics, looking for his palest winter foundations and suitable accompaniments, so that wasn't a problem, but Lillith's shoes were just so plain and well . . . serviceable. The bespelled faux rose lay to one side, inconspicuous beneath a handkerchief.

He smiled. "Certainly Druisa. I think a slightly duskier complexion and maybe a bit of a red tint in your hair and you'll be practically unrecognizable." He opened up a suitcase and started rummaging for the coloring and makeup in question. "By the way, could I prevail on you afterward to go out and get some shoes or maybe some sandals for Lillith? See if maybe you can find something at least a little more ladylike? I doubt you'll be able to find much, but anything's better than the clunkers she's wearing now."

He turned, a small jar of cream foundation in one hand. "By the way, how'd the performance go?"
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"Brad," Argus said quietly, "please help me." Argus kept his head down, his voice hushed. It looked like he was struggling to keep his emotions in check. He was, but it wasn't grief. It was shock, plain and simple. This was Argus' first time seeing an elf in action, and it was scary. I had no idea Drusia was that deadly. Dammit, and I got her pissed off at me...

Not a cheery thought. But her point was made quite clear. If Drusia had wanted Lillith dead, Lillith would be very, very dead right now. And Argus wouldn't have been able to do anything about it except gape. Like he genuinely had just now.

In any case, Brad was coming over, looking to be an emotional wreck. This was going to be hard to explain later... "Brad, I'll take Lillith's torso. You take her legs. Let's get her somewhere she can...rest." Argus forced his voice to choke. It had all the signs of a father who had just seen his daughter drop dead in front of him, and was frantically trying to hold it together. Hey, drama lessons paid off.

It was then that Argus finally noticed Harker out of the corner of his eye. The familiar was peering around the corner at the proceedings...

And was trembling in terror.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[OOC]So, it was suggested I dink around with Brad while Lillith is down. So, here we go...[/OOC]

Struggling to look properly upset, Brad nodded to Argus. It wasn't easy to cast his expression properly, as inside his thoughts were looping from Oh thank Luminosita she's alright! to This is going to work and she's going to be safe and we can be so happy then. to She's very pretty while sleeping like that. and back. Still, he did his best to look grim.

Bending down, he slipped his hands beneath Lillith's legs, careful to pin the cloth in place so her skirt wouldn't slide up around her waist. There was no way he would allow her radiant and native beauty be sullied by the unwholesome gaze of the crude men this village would cast on her thighs. Her soft, unsullied, maidenly... He could feel himself starting to color up, and began praying to Luminosita for release from his baser instincts.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Certainly Druisa. I think a slightly duskier complexion and maybe a bit of a red tint in your hair and you'll be practically unrecognizable. By the way, could I prevail on you afterward to go out and get some shoes or maybe some sandals for Lillith? See if maybe you can find something at least a little more ladylike? I doubt you'll be able to find much, but anything's better than the clunkers she's wearing now. By the way, how'd the performance go?"

"Certainly," I agree, "I can pick something up for her. Although I don't know what quality I'll find here."

I close the door to his room and release the invisibility spell. "Well enough," I tell him, reffering to the performance, "She walked a little too slowly, didn't quite make it to the square. Still, between that and the homicidal maniac who tried to kill us, I think we were pretty memorable." I shrug. "I had to kill him. In front of random towns folk. Hence the need for a make-over."

I glance at a whisp of my green hair. "Yes, I think red would look lovely," I tell him. Also, we may want to do something non-magical about my ears, at least until we're out of town. A hat perhaps?

-- Drusia
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: LOL! That is most definitely not the set of thoughts that Rose would have imagined chasing themselves around in Brad's head ... :twisted: Anyway:]

The prayers finished (and the townsfolk slightly pacified), Sister Rose kept the damping up while she spoke again. "Thank you. I do believe that half elves have souls --" Kenny certainly had one, and I pray for it every night -- "and may they rest easier for your praying for them. And now, there is something very important that I must ask you to do."

She looked around to be sure the room was otherwise empty, with her three companions on the way back to the inn, then dropped the damping, continued. "I must leave at once to try to see to my niece's revival -- or, more likely, I am sad to say, her burial. I fear that she may be another victim of that villainous elf. But there must be no more victims of the elves in this town." Which of the three looked most likely to follow through on what she was about to say? She guessed the man, and held him in her gaze. "You must go to Father Thaddeus, tell him everything you saw just now. We can do nothing more to save the half elves who have perished here. But if the Father knows, and can tell his flock that a murdering elf is nearby, then perhaps we can prevent any more deaths. This is Luminosita's work, now, to help the helpless, to keep them safe from the godless perversions of nature." Am I piling it on too thick?

Apparently not. The man gulped, nodded. "Yes, ma'am. We'll be doin' what we can. But I be wonderin' about one thing --"

Oh, damn. Has he seen through something here? "And what is that, my son?"

"Father Moro." Rose's blank look was enough to get him to continue. "He be the Mekky priest, and poor Dano's uncle. Somebody's gotta be tellin' him what be happenin' to his kin. Should we be doin' that too?"

Rose stifled a sigh of relief, and not just because the act seemed to be holding up. Of course someone should notify the poor man -- and she cringed (with distinct feelings of guilt, but cringed nonetheless) at the thought of doing it herself. She revised her opinion of this farmer's capabilities a notch upward. "That would be most compassionate of you. Now go, and may Luminosita's Peace and His Wisdom be with you." She watched the three leave, then hurried back toward the inn.

But what had become of the Millenarians? One problem at a time, Rose told herself ... but she quickened her pace.

Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Maduin blinked, momentarily taken aback by Druisa's nonchalant description of what he expected was probably a fairly grisly scene.

"Well I'm glad no one was hurt," he said truthfully after a moment, unscrewing the cap on the jar in his hand and applying the foundation sparingly with a deft, gentle touch. "This isn't oil-based, so it won't block your pores or get greasy, but you'll still want to use a good cleanser before you go to bed at night," he explained as he worked. "And try to avoid massive quantities of water, because it will wash off."

Maduin gave her a generous dollop to use on her hands as well and then put the jar away and began rummaging once more in his luggage. He didn't want a red that was too brassy. Actually, he thought with a backward glance, she might do better with a warm, slightly brownish shade. "I do have that hat from Lorenzel I picked out for Lillith. The low brim should cover your ears perfectly."

He came up with what he was looking for after a moment, some eyeliner, lip liner, and a little eyeshadow. "Hold still." He didn't do much with the liners, just gave the curve of her eyes a little more depth, made the ends appear to curve up slightly higher to change the shape, and just a faint dusting of eyeshadow helped to blend it in. The lips got a little bit more curve as well to give them a fuller look, and he stood back and admired his work. The changes were subtle, but it was the little things that people tended to notice if they were around someone more than just a few minutes. "You know, I'm thinking maybe a nice, dark russet for the hair."
Last edited by Porcelain Fish on January 6th, 2010, 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Carefully, Argus and Brad negotiated Lillith into her bedroom and laid her down to rest. Argus had to admit, the act was convincing. Lillith, looked well and truly dead. Actually, to be honest, Argus was going to be a little antsy until he saw her up and about again. Coming in behind behind them, Harker closed the door quietly. The familiar didn't turn to face him, and simply stared at the door.

A silent Harker was always an ominous thing. Argus was worried, and this time not about what Harker was planning. With a quick glance at Brad (why is he blushing?), Argus walked over to his familiar. "Harker, what's wrong?"

Harker shivered. Actually, shuddered would be the better term. "N-nothin' Boss," Harker obviously lied before scampering off, fishing desperately in his pockets for something. Argus looked after the retreating familiar in bafflement, and looked over at Brad... who was looking down at Lillith with a bright red blush on his face.

What the...? The thought went in more than one direction.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose hurried back to the inn, keeping an eye out for the Millenarians (or so she thought them to be), who seemed to have disappeared. On balance, that was probably good; at least it meant she could concentrate on one problem at a time. Before she reached the inn, she took the precaution of making a minor adjustment to her own appearance -- nothing very elaborate, since she didn't have the strength left for significant shape-shifting after the other spellcasting she'd been doing, but enough to resemble an employee of the inn (albeit one with green eyes) more than a nun. That just seemed prudent; anyone who happened to see her in her usual form, going into both Lillith's (or Argus') and Maduin's (or Drusia's) rooms, might get some ... inconvenient ... ideas.

She was tired from the spellcasting by the time she arrived, but not too tired to pause in the hallway and listen carefully to what was going on. Maduin sounded like he was busy giving Drusia a makeover. That was good; another thing to be avoided, at least here in this town, was anything hinting that Drusia was still welcome in the party. Wonder what she's going to look like? And who are we going to pass her off as? Rose thought, then shelved the questions for the moment; both could await the completion of Maduin's art work.

The noises from Lillith's room were indistinct, but she could tell that both Brad and Argus were in there -- but what was wrong with Harker? She'd never heard the familiar sound quite like that before. She checked to make sure the hallway was empty, knocked gently on the door. "Brad? Argus? It's me. Just concentrate on my eyes."