2017-09-20: Plan B

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2017-09-20: Plan B

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Discussion thread for Plan B
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Re: 2017-09-20: Plan B

Post by Forrest »

FWIW, knowing the background about the stuff going on in mainstream comics now (which I didn't before my comment on the previous page), I find the joke here (including the previous page) a lot funnier. It was just that missing context that made me worry some, I guess.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Alice Machaer
Forum Regular

Post by Alice Machaer »

Seconding what Forrest said. Thank you, Poe and Imp-Chan, for clarifying matters and for being open to feedback and engagement with your readers.

As for this update, Craig's reactions in panels four and six are hilarious.

Making well-known comic characters into legacies is a touchy subject for sure. Even if the legacy character, and the story in which they replace the original, are well-written, there's always going to be a portion of the fandom who considers it sacrilege. Which is probably why DC, unlike Marvel, has tended to do so only temporarily (e.g. Jean-Paul Valley, Dick Grayson and Jim Gordon at different points assuming the Batman role when Bruce Wayne was respectively paraplegic, presumed dead, and suffering from amnesia).

Also, while I support and indeed have come to expect diversity in comic books, I do recognize that tokenism is a potential pitfall, as is creating a Mary Sue (or Gary Stu) character in a wish not to offend an underrepresented group. Ironically, doing the latter tends to be more offensive to fans of said group than creating a character with a combination of strengths and flaws.
Baeraad
Forum Regular

Post by Baeraad »

For what it's worth, I did think that Power and Prejudice were pretty funny, and a spot-on caricature of how certain people behave. It only got uncomfortable when Craig began being portrayed as a victim for getting into trouble for beating them up. I mean, if they'd either broken any laws or had any powers or combat skills, I think it would still have worked, but the comic went out of its way to state that they hadn't and didn't.

Ah well. Onwards to new things. :)
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

Baeraad wrote:For what it's worth, I did think that Power and Prejudice were pretty funny, and a spot-on caricature of how certain people behave. It only got uncomfortable when Craig began being portrayed as a victim for getting into trouble for beating them up. I mean, if they'd either broken any laws or had any powers or combat skills, I think it would still have worked, but the comic went out of its way to state that they hadn't and didn't.
Indeed. And in all fairness to Poe, if he had drawn something like Craig beating up harmless protesters way back in the days of Exploitation Now I doubt if anyone would have even blinked, even if Craig is supposed to be one of the good guys and even if the protesters were guilty of nothing more than being annoying. The line between parody and endorsement is practically invisible now that real life is more absurd than most fiction.

This was a good way to end the story arc though. The PR agents are smarter than I gave them credit for. :D