Missing: Previous Next

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
KZK
Forum Trainee

Missing: Previous Next

Post by KZK »

The new webcomic site lack good navigation controls, namely the first,back,next,last buttons(or links). Makes it more time consuming to navigate archives.

Also, when you do navigate to older comics, you get to a smaller version of the original comic. This is probably a bandwith waster, as the comic is harder to read in general and most people (particularly those with broadband) will just click on the larger version anyway. If you must have the smaller version, for whatever reason, you should make it so people who are navigating the archives can with either the large versions or small versions, which will save you bandwidth, and readers annoyance (annoying readers = bad).

The font used in the May 05 2008/Jan 10 2011 comic doesn't work so well. The individual letters, because of some antialiasing effects, are too close together, and blend together inapropriately. This makes it hard to read, particularly the small version.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Re: Missing: Previous Next

Post by Imp-Chan »

Wait, what do you mean it's missing previous and next buttons? They're right under the comic, clearly labeled... are you not able to see them in your browser? If not, we need to figure out why. Also, you're getting smaller versions when you click the back button? Could you screenshot that for me? Or, wait... were the smaller versions because you were trying to use the calendar function to navigate?

I know the calendar archive takes you to a list of posts for a given date... however, if you click on them, it should take you to the actual post at a proper size. The archive works that way in ComicPress, because on some dates there will be more than one post. You get the same thing on ES.

There is only one font used in most of those comics, but in the next week you'll see a variety of settings variations for it. The font is an ongoing battle with Poe. He wants smaller text so he can cram everything into the panels, but of the font options we looked at that font was the one he liked best. I finally settled on a larger size and increasing the distance between the letters, but I'll keep looking for better options, too.

I'm still very worried about why you don't seem to be able to see the navigation buttons... those are important, they do more than just navigate!

^-^?
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
KZK
Forum Trainee

Post by KZK »

Yeah, no Prev / Next buttons/links at all.

Yeah navigating by the calendar.

The HTML for the prev/next buttons looks like this:

<a href="http://www.doesnotplaywellwithothers.co ... s/pwc-000a" class="navi navi-first" title=""></a>

<a href="http://www.doesnotplaywellwithothers.co ... s/pwc-000f" class="navi navi-prev" title=""></a>

Which should probably look something like this:
<a href="http://www.doesnotplaywellwithothers.co ... s/pwc-000a" class="navi navi-first" title="First">& l t ; & l t ;First</a>

Compare with how the HTML for Errant story looks:
<a href="http://www.errantstory.com/2002-11-04/15" title="Go to the First Comic">& l t ; & l t ;First</a>

Edit: the messageboard software originally converted the (spaced:) & l t ; tags in the above to "<" characters. (The & l t ; tag is neccesary to draw "<" characters in HTML).

I'd have to install software to get a screencap, and it would have to be software that doesn't require a restart (win XP). It's been years since I've needed something like that, so I don't know all the current freeware that does things like that.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I'm sorry, I can't reproduce the problem in either of my browsers, so I just have no idea what you're looking at. I see what you mean about the code, but since I'm not also getting the same problem navigating I don't know what that actually means.

Are the big orange arrow buttons to the right under the comic not visible at all, or are they just inactive for you? What browser are you using, and do you have ad block turned on?

Also, have you tried clicking on one of the calendar archive pages to have it take you to the real page? If so, do you see navigation buttons there?

I'm letting Kaitou know about this, maybe he'll have a better idea what's going on. I'm kinda stumped.

-_-'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
KZK
Forum Trainee

Post by KZK »

No I don't see the "big orange arrow buttons". It's because the HTML is borked. For a normal HTML link to work, their must be text. The HTML on the dnpwwo page has no text, and thus no link:

This is a correct anchor tag (HTML 4.0):
<a href="url">Text link</a>

This is what is coming up on dnpwwo:
<a href="url"></a>

Without the "text link" text, as in the example above, their is nothing for the browser to print on the screen, for the link to work.

It's Internet explorer 6. I don't use adblock, I use something more complicated, but without filtering, the page looks the same (no first/prev/next/last).
KZK
Forum Trainee

Post by KZK »

I have screenshots. Tell me where to send Em (1.55MB zipped).
kaitou
Almighty Systems Admin
Twitter @: kaitou_

Post by kaitou »

Thanks, but we won't be needing screenshots. I already know basically what the problem is. The only problem I have with solving it is that oldest version of IE I have is 8. I will be working on a fix, though.

Not so much for viewing our site, but I would suggest upgrading to something newer. Several sites are abandoning support for IE 6. Personally, I'd like to make sure it works, though.
kaitou
Almighty Systems Admin
Twitter @: kaitou_

Post by kaitou »

OK, it should be fixed now. I can reproduce it in IE 8 using "compatibility mode". Menu still looks like hell, but the nav titles show up (below and right of the comic).

Let me know if you have further issues.
KZK
Forum Trainee

Post by KZK »

The "First" Image link is fine (an image of a white box with the word "First"). The Prev/Next/Last images are solid Black. This is probably a transparency issue (it has black text and a transparent background, which means, in my case solid black as the default background color on my computer is black; This is actually a common mistake many programmers make: Always set both foreground and background colors or you will get problems). The other black boxes in between appear to be links to other things or javascript, are also solid black. Also a solid black link at the bottom of the blog posting.

But the links work, so, fixed.
KZK
Forum Trainee

Post by KZK »

kaitou wrote:Not so much for viewing our site, but I would suggest upgrading to something newer. Several sites are abandoning support for IE 6. Personally, I'd like to make sure it works, though.
Lemme address this. There are a massive number of businesses very heavily invested in Internet Explorer 6. They are not moving off IE6/XP anytime soon.

In my own circumstances, I dual Boot Windows 2000 and XP on all my computers. Windows 2K can not run a later version of IE than 6. The last time I reinstalled XP, at least 1/2 of the reason, was to downgrade from IE8 back to IE6. The reason?: IE8 is badly threaded. When one open IE window crashes (and they do, inexplicably), all other IE processes are affected, that is they all crash. Even launching a new iexplore.exe process, still crashes (actually you can launch four iexplore.exe processes, and the first three will still not function, but the fourth might). This is a real problem. I like to open many windows. I have at least thirty IE6 windows open right now. (Yes I open most new windows in separate processes).

But beyond that, in most practical terms, the functionality of websites, to me is really unchanged. I do not run Javascript of any kind for any reason and I do not run ActiveX controls for any reason. The Filters I use so alter web pages, that they would seem quite strange to most people (I literally slice and dice web pages). And you know what? 90+% of the the things I want to do/try to do, work currently. Since 99% of browser crashes are caused by Javascript/ActiveX controls, I get the kind of stability that lets me keep my computer running continuously for six months or more. (6 Month "Up Time"). Since Javascript/ActiveX controls are the biggest propagators of malware/virus's/etc., In a very real way, I've never had a virus or other malware get into my internet computer. You get the idea. (Seriously, Javascript can bork your history/back/forward buttons, fsck with cookies, read your history (including webmail addresses==>SPAM), Open windows, Close windows, and all kinds of nasty things, and ActiveX controls can, in theory, format your harddrives).