2011-09-13: The One Where I Make An Orwell Reference

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2011-09-13: The One Where I Make An Orwell Reference

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2011-09-13: The One Where I Make An Orwell Reference

Post by BloodHenge »

I never did understand what part of the horse became what part of the glue, or why horses were so much better suited for it than other livestock.
RGE
Errant Scholar

Post by RGE »

In most western countries there's a social taboo against eating horse meat, so I guess they end up in the glue factory because that's the only thing they're good for.
Dena
New Poster

Post by Dena »

BloodHenge wrote:I never did understand what part of the horse became what part of the glue
Bones, hooves, and other things made of protein. They break them down with an acid (loosening of the atomic bonds), then do some processing to turn it into adhesive.

or why horses were so much better suited for it than other livestock.
They're not. You can use pretty much any animal bone to make glue. It's just that we tend to reserve bones from other livestock for making soup bases and giving to family pets... the hides to make a good leather ...
RGE wrote:so I guess they end up in the glue factory because that's the only thing they're good for.
But there are other countries where it is acceptable, and the processors will ship overseas...
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

Dena wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:
RGE wrote:so I guess they end up in the glue factory because that's the only thing they're good for.
But there are other countries where it is acceptable, and the processors will ship overseas...
Horses are also bigger than a lot of other livestock, so you get more bang for your buck. And yeah, if you ship the horses overseas they'll strip the bones, make them into glue, and sell the meat to butchers shops nearby and the hides to tanners.
DatDude
Errant Scholar

Post by DatDude »

HaHAHa take that stupid pony's ! Your goddess is horrid and vengful so face her horned wrath!

I hated this show so much and if not for my 4 year old niece id have found something better to watch poe thank you for pony vengeance!
The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death however mutable man may be able to make them our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light. Stanley Kubrick
Dena
New Poster

Post by Dena »

Tiamat wrote:And yeah, if you ship the horses overseas they'll strip the bones, make them into glue, and sell the meat to butchers shops nearby and the hides to tanners.
Not counting the stuff that is ground down to turn into filler and binder.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

RGE wrote:In most western countries there's a social taboo against eating horse meat
That's because they're draft animals, a form of production capital. Pretty much anywhere you go, there's a taboo against eating animals traditionally used to pull a plow, cart, or sled, because it implies you have no choice because you've failed at whatever you ought to be doing for a living (usually farming, more than a couple hundred years ago). Also, any horse you eat this year can't pull a plow/cart/sleigh next year, so you're also setting yourself up to fail in the future. (If you have enough horses to eat some without impacting your work, you could sell them instead and buy more socially acceptable food animals.)
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

BloodHenge wrote:That's because they're draft animals, a form of production capital. Pretty much anywhere you go, there's a taboo against eating animals traditionally used to pull a plow, cart, or sled, because it implies you have no choice because you've failed at whatever you ought to be doing for a living (usually farming, more than a couple hundred years ago). Also, any horse you eat this year can't pull a plow/cart/sleigh next year, so you're also setting yourself up to fail in the future. (If you have enough horses to eat some without impacting your work, you could sell them instead and buy more socially acceptable food animals.)
While this is generally true, it doesn't apply to the Jewish tradition of not eating pork. I've always wondered about that... maybe an unintended side effect of an over-broad proscription? (Since camels, horses, and oxen are clovenfooted as well)
Anthony
Errant Scholar

Post by Anthony »

Tiamat wrote:While this is generally true, it doesn't apply to the Jewish tradition of not eating pork. I've always wondered about that... maybe an unintended side effect of an over-broad proscription? (Since camels, horses, and oxen are clovenfooted as well)
Or it might just be for protection from trichinosis, if someone actually noticed the link somehow.