2011-11-11: Strange Aeons

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2011-11-11: Strange Aeons

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Discussion thread for Strange Aeons
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2011-11-11: Strange Aeons

Post by BloodHenge »

Something tells me this is going to turn out to be some kind of unholy fusion of "The Yellow Kid" and "The King in Yellow". Yes, "unholy" compared to "The King in Yellow".
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

BloodHenge wrote:Something tells me this is going to turn out to be some kind of unholy fusion of "The Yellow Kid" and "The King in Yellow". Yes, "unholy" compared to "The King in Yellow".
Ah, I was wondering. Remember the concept of the King in Yellow, but something seemed missing. The poster art reminded me of the children's book in the anime _Monster_.
Lukkai
Errant Scholar

Post by Lukkai »

Doesn't really ring a bell, but from what you're saying...

That bad?

As to Skyrim: Made me dig out Oblivion again to finally finish those last few quests. And then it's time to go North!
I'm with SD. We're putting the anal into analysis.
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by davester65 »

I have got to get that ring tone. :D
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
Bytemite
Resident Wormhole Lawyer

Post by Bytemite »

Lukkai: The King In Yellow was H.P. Lovecraft's inspiration, and in the book, anyone who read the script for the eponymous play went insane. An actual performance of the play, which, considering the insanity, would be near impossible, was supposedly a ritual to summon an eldritch abomination.

The Yellow Kid was a newspaper comic commenting on poverty and the plight of the inner city, with a creepily cheerful child lampooning the whole thing.
wingshad0w
Forum Trainee

Post by wingshad0w »

It sounds like early anti-asian racsim.
Was this film made between the 1920's-50's?
Because those films were filled with hilariously racist Asian caricatures
(and by hilarious I mean It was hilarious because people at least half believed it)
Michael Poe
The Almighty Poe

Post by Michael Poe »

You know, I was honestly never quite sure if the yellow kid was suppose to be Asian or not. Hell, given the age of the comic, it's even possible that while the character wasn't Asian, his character design did go on to become the basis of those old racist Asian caricatures
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

I once asked an American born Japanese friend of mine about what he thought regarding the old caricatures and cartoons, particularly the ones during WWII. He said that as long as one remembered they were products of their time he found them quite funny. He did state, however, that the first time he saw one he checked himself in the mirror for bucked teeth. He already had the glasses!