2012-05-04: The One Where I Actually Use the Term Neurotypic

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2012-05-04: The One Where I Actually Use the Term Neurotypic

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2012-05-04: The One Where I Actually Use the Term Neurot

Post by BloodHenge »

Okay, so what is a "neurotypical privilege"? I can find plenty of "checklists", but not a definition.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Neurotypicality is best defined in relation to its antonym, neurodiversity, which is the notion that many neurological or psychological conditions broadly considered "disorders" are actually within the range of normal human diversity, and not properly disorders at all, any more than having non-white skin is a "disorder", or being non-male is a "disorder".

Neurotypical privilege (which I've never heard anyone actually say) would then be analogous to something like "white privilege" or "male privilege": the experience that comes with being in a dominant group (in this case the "neurotypical" group, i.e. the group of people without notable psychological "disorders") and thus having the world shaped to accomodate you, the privilege of not facing the struggles that non-dominant groups have to face.

So he's basically telling Seth "she's not retarded, she's from an oppressed neurological demographic, and you're being insensitive to her struggles due to your privileged life in the dominant (i.e. non-retarded) neurological demographic."
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Michael Poe
The Almighty Poe

Post by Michael Poe »

Forrest wrote: Neurotypical privilege (which I've never heard anyone actually say)
I think it should be noted that the only times I've ever actually seen it used seriously was in arguments about a god damn My Little Pony background character. Which should tell you about how pointlessly silly the whole concept really is.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

It's not as pointless as it may seem. Being introverted, I actually get a lot of people thinking that I need help being properly socialized. This would be a case of "If you aren't X you're sick".

Thanks, no, I'm fine.

But yeah, in context? It's utter bullshit. *chuckles*
SubversiveCynic
The Goddamn Batman

Post by SubversiveCynic »

The bronies totally have a point about the otherwise largely bullshit PC concept, much as I hate to both acknowledge it and open myself up to more damned My Little Pony marathons with Viking-Sensei.

It's kind of... horrific... that the only legit use I've seen of that concept is for dudes to defend a functionally retarded cartoon character.
RGE
Errant Scholar

Post by RGE »

Michael Poe wrote:I think it should be noted that the only times I've ever actually seen it used seriously was in arguments about a god damn My Little Pony background character.
That explains that thing with the "cartoon horse". But it doesn't explain why anyone would ever yell anything to Falchion about it. Unless he for some reason got involved in an argument about MLP. Which never even entered my mind. Maybe someone was using an analogy? That's always a good way to bring in stuff from nowhere. :mrgreen:
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

BloodHenge wrote:Okay, so what is a "neurotypical privilege"? I can find plenty of "checklists", but not a definition.
neurotypical means "not autistic"
Neurotypical privilage is wrong in context, that is why he asked him "do you even know what that word means"
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

I feel like I should go ahead and say that I did know what "neurotypical" means (and no, it does not just mean "not autistic"; it also means not a lot of other things). I just hadn't ever heard the phrase before.

As for why someone shouted something about ponies at Falchion, it may have had something to do with his "fanfiction".

And after looking at the comic again, I begin to wonder what tasted or smelled like almonds.
TheLastOutlaw
Forum Regular

Post by TheLastOutlaw »

BloodHenge wrote:And after looking at the comic again, I begin to wonder what tasted or smelled like almonds.
I assumed it was the other orfice. But I have a dirty mind like that.
Stupidity got us into this, why can't it get us out?