2012-05-04: The One Where I Actually Use the Term Neurotypic

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2012-05-04: The One Where I Actually Use the Term Neurot

Post by taltamir »

BloodHenge wrote:I feel like I should go ahead and say that I did know what "neurotypical" means (and no, it does not just mean "not autistic"; it also means not a lot of other things). I just hadn't ever heard the phrase before.
You haven't heard the phrase before because the phrases has a nonsense meaning.
This is why he was called on not knowing the definition of the words in the comic itself.
TheLastOutlaw
Forum Regular

Post by TheLastOutlaw »

I'll admit the first place I tried to look up the phrase was on tvtropes. (It seemed like a natural following the manic pixie dream girl reference). When that didn't work I was amused that the only "article" google could really find was a checklist that seemed to be about par with the the "you might be a redneck" jokes. I am interested in reading the MLP article for the lulz but can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Still didn't find the original MLP reference but while looking I did stumble across some awesomely insane conversations on not just neurotypical privilege but other "abelisms" and "privilege." The following is either solid gold snark meant to start a flame war or scary insane world view but either way I laughed and figured I'd share.

"USING THE TERM “FUCK OFF” OR “FUCKER” OR “FUCK” IS ABLEIST.

SOME PEOPLE ARE INCAPABLE OF HAVING INTERCOURSE.

CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE."

EDIT AGAIN: Which I just realized essentially boils down to "Check your fucking privilege." 8-)
Stupidity got us into this, why can't it get us out?
David J Prokopetz
Forum Regular

Post by David J Prokopetz »

TheLastOutlaw wrote:The following is either solid gold snark meant to start a flame war or scary insane world view but either way I laughed and figured I'd share.

[snip]
The correct response, of course, is to observe that whoever posted that is being ableist by blithely assuming that they folks they're addressing can read. ;)
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Welcome to my all too contradictory and yet all encompassing world. Thank goodness I'm a post modern critical theorist. I'd implode otherwise.
wellactually
New Poster

Post by wellactually »

I'm Autistic and many neurotypicals are misusing it as an insult. Autism is a spectrum disorder, so how high or low functioning someone is varies wildly.
The people using it as an insult are mainly those who agree with this author's regressive social views. A line is crossed when the author goes from making legitimate criticisms of overreactions to treating smear campaigns and lies (and in cases even admitting to furthering an urban legend) about feminists and "social justice warriors" as if they were true. He used Naga as a strawman Anita Sarkeesian and now it seems like he's just trying to be offensive to anyone who suggests that social issues are still important.

He's created a fictional world with mythical beings, and other than the painfully out of touch with reality depictions of people it's pretty good. The problem is he's including social myths too. After he said insults should be offensive to a group on account of something they either can't change or can't be blamed for ("TUMBLR swearjar") I sarcastically wondered if he'd claim "fake rape". Then he did.

So yeah, the author's should do actual research instead of just parroting the same debunked claims. Or to be politically correct: "alternative facts."