2012-07-16: The One Where We Talk About D&D Next

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2012-07-16: The One Where We Talk About D&D Next

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

darlid01
New Poster

Re: 2012-07-16: The One Where We Talk About D&D Next

Post by darlid01 »

I need an adult?
Lukkai
Errant Scholar

Post by Lukkai »

Am I right in assuming that the question in third panel is by Nikki, the giggling from Seth and the shouting by Fran? Or both the question and giggling courtesy of Nikki?

A bit confused here.
I'm with SD. We're putting the anal into analysis.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

My guess was that the question was from one of the aliens, who probably would have accepted theoretical knowledge.
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

By saying "not a word seth" she kinda answered it herself.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Not necessarily. She could have been warning him against lamenting her apparent lack of familiarity with the concept.
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

BloodHenge wrote:Not necessarily. She could have been warning him against lamenting her apparent lack of familiarity with the concept.
Wow, she must really like him if she actually gives him a WARNING about such an obvious relationship trap. :)
Lukkai
Errant Scholar

Post by Lukkai »

BloodHenge wrote:My guess was that the question was from one of the aliens, who probably would have accepted theoretical knowledge.
"Shut up, Nikki!" Wouldn't make any sense then though.
taltamir wrote:By saying "not a word seth" she kinda answered it herself.
I agree with BloodHenge here. He might be the one giggling, sure. But it kind of contradicts how he behaved in the past. Still, I'm not sure.
BloodHenge wrote:Not necessarily. She could have been warning him against lamenting her apparent lack of familiarity with the concept.
Or utter lack of a lack, if you know what I mean.

On another note: I've never tried 4th edition D&D. After listening to the experience of several of my friends and reading some reviews, I just lost any interest in ever giving it a try. It's version 3.5 or pathfinder for me.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Lukkai wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:My guess was that the question was from one of the aliens, who probably would have accepted theoretical knowledge.
"Shut up, Nikki!" Wouldn't make any sense then though.
It would if she's laughing and the admonition against Seth was preemptive (the way I read it at first), but in retrospect your interpretation makes at least as much since, probably more.
Lukkai wrote:
Or utter lack of a lack, if you know what I mean.
Right. Totally inconclusive.
Lukkai wrote:On another note: I've never tried 4th edition D&D. After listening to the experience of several of my friends and reading some reviews, I just lost any interest in ever giving it a try. It's version 3.5 or pathfinder for me.
I haven't played it, but I have looked through sections of the core rulebook. Everything looked too generic, similar, and repetitive. Also, it seemed like WotC was padding things out by reprinting them repeatedly-- I saw Fighter, Rogue, and (if I recall correctly) Wizard powers that did pretty much the same thing and just had different names (specifically, deal weapon damage and move the target to an adjacent square). In any earlier edition, that would just be one power that's available to all three classes, but in 4e, each class apparently needs a different way to do the same thing. It also looked seriously lacking in customization, and the way everything seemed to revolve around combat struck me as a step back from 3e. It's a fine beer-and-peanuts system if the DM can generate characters without falling asleep, but I'd rather hold a campaign using a different one.

They're talking about 5e, though (which isn't out yet).
Lukkai
Errant Scholar

Post by Lukkai »

Yeah, the general consensus about 4th edition was, that they had tried to emulate an MMORPG. This to bring all those computer players to the table instead (and consequently sell the books to them big time).

Not only did they fail at bringing new players to the game in a substantial number, they also lost most of the long time P&P-players, who simply hated the new system. Personal experience of my friends was, they basically reduced the classes to "fighter", "mage", "thief", "healer". With practically no real possibilities for customisation. Which of course meant the same problem for adventures. It practically had as much depth as a cheap smartphone rpg. At best.
In short: No real long-time motivation, nothing that would catch the interest of an established rpg'ler. It's only real use being as an introductionary game for absolute newbies.

Will 5th edition change for the better? We will see. So far I'm doubting it, wouldn't mind to be proven wrong though.