2012-09-07: The One Where They Almost Show Some Mild Concern

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2012-09-07: The One Where They Almost Show Some Mild Concern

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

RGE
Errant Scholar

Re: 2012-09-07: The One Where They Almost Show Some Mild Con

Post by RGE »

It took me a while to figure out that they had draped Naga over the broom. And I've also figured out that Fran's hat must be levitating above her head rather than being perched upon it. Unless it's got a head-sized ring strapped to the insides, like military helmets do. But a levitating hat wouldn't mess with her hair, so that seems like a better option.
hkmaly
Forum Regular

Post by hkmaly »

It's true that Hippocrates condemned the practice of tracheotomy as incurring an unacceptable risk of damage to the carotid artery, but that was two thousand years ago. When done by professional with proper tools - meaning scalpel, the pen might still be usable instead of tracheostomy tube - the mortality is zero. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracheotomy ... no bullshit in it.

On the other hand, vampire might be bad person to do that ...
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

I don't think she has a scalpel, but I think we have seen that when she plans to feed, she has a razor or pocket knife on her.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Yeah, wikipedia is definitely better than first-hand experience for this one. When I was in the coma, they put off doing a tracheotomy because they were afraid it would indeed kill me. However, that was not a typical case (I was on bloodthinners, and they were doing additional surgery at the same time because they couldn't risk opening me up again later). In typical cases, the risk of death may be negligible, but the risk of damage to the trachea, lungs, or voice as a result of prolonged time with a tube stuck through them is still pretty bad. Even in a hospital with the correct tubes and everything, the procedure may possibly have ruined my voice forever, or worse caused scarring that will keep me from ever being able to breathe properly (they're still trying to figure all that out). So, yeah... a pen tube might be a good choice and work pretty well if there's no other option, but short of that it's still inviting trouble and should not be encouraged.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Anthony
Errant Scholar

Post by Anthony »

In an emergency, running the risk of damage to the trachea, lungs, or voice is generally preferable to the victim actually dying. Of course, that depends on how certain you are of the risk of death. Naga's kind of indestructible, so most likely neither the risk of bad side effects nor the risk of death are as high as you'd think.
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

I don't understand how being a doctor spits in the face of jesus...

I am surprised she (the most balanced and mentally healthy character the strip has... although that is not saying much) would try to become a doctor just to spite her mother (and god)
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

There are some people who believe that the Healing Power of Prayer™ is all that sick people need and that the Time Has Come™ for anyone it can't save. To these people, many medical procedures are Abominations before the LORD™-- the more complex, the more abominable. If Nikki's mother is one of these people, and someone else she cares about (like her father or a sibling) died because of that attitude, then Nikki's speech here makes perfect sense.

Speaking of which, that's two main characters so far who have significant religious disagreements with their mothers. I wonder if Naga has something similar going on.
LinuxTheKid
New Poster

Post by LinuxTheKid »

As a medic who has done both tracheotomies and cricothyroidotomies, I can tell you that it is nowhere near as dangerous as it would seem, and sterility is a minor concern due to the throat being a fairly dirty place. (theres even a video of one being done with car keys and a pocket knife)
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

BloodHenge wrote:There are some people who believe that the Healing Power of Prayer™ is all that sick people need and that the Time Has Come™ for anyone it can't save.
Another proof evolution works :)