2012-10-24: Scroll of Falling Off the Wagon

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2012-10-24: Scroll of Falling Off the Wagon

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Discussion thread for Scroll of Falling Off the Wagon
TheLastOutlaw
Forum Regular

Re: 2012-10-24: Scroll of Falling Off the Wagon

Post by TheLastOutlaw »

Man, nice analogy with the kegs for getting people to ditch AA.

And I don't know what it is about panel 4 but it's the most amazing picture of Fran ever. The calculating eyes, the "don't fuck with me smirk." Have I mentioned how awesome I think Fran's character design is? And I find that sleep deprivation, similar to drunkeness almost totally removes my "filter." I have to get off this midnight shift BS.

EDIT: Is Naga's nipple spurting blood at Fran in the last panel? Milk? Poison? Or are the hallucinations starting again?
Stupidity got us into this, why can't it get us out?
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

TheLastOutlaw wrote:EDIT: Is Naga's nipple spurting blood at Fran in the last panel? Milk? Poison? Or are the hallucinations starting again?
I'm pretty sure that's Naga's tail curving back behind her, with fire behind it. It does kind of look like something squirting, though.
TheLastOutlaw
Forum Regular

Post by TheLastOutlaw »

Now that I'm looking at it without sleep deprivation interfering with my perception I believe you are correct. Though now I can't help but think of Naga squirting poisonous venom from her nipples which cracks me up. I'm sure this says something horrible about me as a person.
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

The resurrector gets a free mount but the resurrectee gets a free instant boost of one character to level 80.
yea, activision is fucking evil
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

TheLastOutlaw wrote:poisonous venom
As opposed to all that wholesome, nutritious venom you keep hearing about?
taltamir wrote:The resurrector gets a free mount but the resurrectee gets a free instant boost of one character to level 80.
yea, activision is fucking evil
Turbine did something similar with DDO when their Underdark expansion came out. You could use a Stone of Experience (once per character) to raise one other player's character (once per account on each server) from as low as level 8 directly to level 16 (out of 20 prior to the expansion, 25 after), giving them a preset selection of high level gear and getting (I think) a cosmetic pet for yourself.
TheLastOutlaw
Forum Regular

Post by TheLastOutlaw »

BloodHenge wrote:
TheLastOutlaw wrote:poisonous venom
As opposed to all that wholesome, nutritious venom you keep hearing about?
Since you can drink cobra venom (it's only deadly if introduced into the blood stream, say intravenously) and it's considered a delicacy in some parts of the world there is no way to know whether or not Naga's venom from *delicate cough* "on tap" would be deadly without sampling. Hell, it could have potent hallucinogenic properties for all we know. Maybe it's the pathway to the ultimate high, the penultimate mind expanding experience. But yes, perhaps poisonous/non poisonous was the wrong phraseology, perhaps I should have went with lethal/non lethal to avoid confusion.

But now that I think more about it, if there isn't a strip in the near future where someone trips balls on Naga nectar I will be dissapointed.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Good point. But now you've reminded me of an episode of CSI: Las Vegas where a guy was murdered by spiking his coffee with snake venom. Normally it would've been harmless, but he (like all his coworkers, including the murderer) had terrible ulcers due to stress. (Not sure how realistic it was though.)
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

BloodHenge wrote:Good point. But now you've reminded me of an episode of CSI: Las Vegas where a guy was murdered by spiking his coffee with snake venom. Normally it would've been harmless, but he (like all his coworkers, including the murderer) had terrible ulcers due to stress. (Not sure how realistic it was though.)
Ulcers are actually not caused by stress. It was a long term belief but was recently proven (IIRC in 2006 or 2008) to be caused by bacterial infection.
It was believed no bacteria could survive in the stomach, however that belief was proven wrong.
The team of 3 doctors who identified it were at first scoffed at (with the stomach acid argument), until they infected themselves with ulcer causing bacteria and then cured themselves using antibiotics.

Stress does cause your immune system to weaken though which should exacerbates the ulcers caused by bacteria.
TheLastOutlaw
Forum Regular

Post by TheLastOutlaw »

BloodHenge wrote:Good point. But now you've reminded me of an episode of CSI: Las Vegas where a guy was murdered by spiking his coffee with snake venom. Normally it would've been harmless, but he (like all his coworkers, including the murderer) had terrible ulcers due to stress. (Not sure how realistic it was though.)
That actually is realistic, if the venom had a path into the bloodtream like an open wound or an ulcer it would become potentially lethal. But apparently that isn't specific to cobra venom, it sounds like most if not all snake venom can be broken down through digestion so Naga Nectar On Tap probably wouldn't kill anyone. Jury is still out regarding potential psychoactive properties.