2012-11-05: All The Good Color Names Got Taken Early On

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2012-11-05: All The Good Color Names Got Taken Early On

Post by taltamir »

I didn't see any indication that this was supposed to be 4th wall breaking.

Also, what does The Venture Bros have to do with anything?
TheLastOutlaw
Forum Regular

Post by TheLastOutlaw »

taltamir wrote:I didn't see any indication that this was supposed to be 4th wall breaking.
I think you misunderstood me, I didn't say there was any 4th wall breaking going on. I said the use of the PLOT lawyer is similar in nature to antics that do break the fourth wall such as speaking with the author and/or narrator.
Stupidity got us into this, why can't it get us out?
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

TheLastOutlaw wrote:
taltamir wrote:I didn't see any indication that this was supposed to be 4th wall breaking.
I think you misunderstood me, I didn't say there was any 4th wall breaking going on. I said the use of the PLOT lawyer is similar in nature to antics that do break the fourth wall such as speaking with the author and/or narrator.
But the indication was that she is an author avatar, not a "real" in universe character
TheLastOutlaw
Forum Regular

Post by TheLastOutlaw »

Right, by inserting an author avatar/spokesperson into the story the same effect can be achieved without outright breaking fourth wall. I think we're agreeing with each other.
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

Ok I see now. I consider an author avatar to be a form of breaking the 4th wall.
I am asking how do you know she is an author avatar and not a genuine normal character?
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

taltamir wrote:Also, what does The Venture Bros have to do with anything?
It features the Guild of Calamitous Intent, an organization similar to the one dark_lord_zagato postulated.
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

BloodHenge wrote:
It features the Guild of Calamitous Intent, an organization similar to the one dark_lord_zagato postulated.
1. Never heard of this guild, where is more info about it?
2. Where does it say that it features this guild
TheLastOutlaw
Forum Regular

Post by TheLastOutlaw »

taltamir wrote:I am asking how do you know she is an author avatar and not a genuine normal character?
Assumptions based on the fact that Impy called her a PLOT lawyer and the fact that "normal" characters don't normally berate other characters for not remaining in character. I could be way off in which case I expect either Poe or Impy to tell me I'm a dumbass which is fine, it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've been called such :D
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

taltamir wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:
1. Never heard of this guild, where is more info about it?
2. Where does it say that it features this guild
The Guild comes up in several episodes of the show; it's especially prominent after the first season. You can probably learn more than you ever wanted to from the wiki.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

TheLastOutlaw wrote:
taltamir wrote:I am asking how do you know she is an author avatar and not a genuine normal character?
Assumptions based on the fact that Impy called her a PLOT lawyer and the fact that "normal" characters don't normally berate other characters for not remaining in character. I could be way off in which case I expect either Poe or Impy to tell me I'm a dumbass which is fine, it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've been called such :D
You're not a dumbass at all, but in our show the PLOT Lawyer (that's her name in the script, btw, I think we deliberately avoided ever calling her by an actual name, though her coworker in the story does have one: Violet Lydine) would most definitely berate other characters for not remaining in character. That's what PLOT hired her to do, and there are some masterful little monologues in the first season* where she does exactly that. It's a pity she has to deal with Doctor Previous, she'd probably be much better at her job if it weren't for him. Ms. Veridian may or may not work for the same organization, and may or may not have the same ultimate task that the PLOT Lawyer does... all I know is that I took one look at the character and recognized her instantly. Which is weird, because she looks nothing like me, and I was the one originally slated to play that role once we started filming, so you'd think the character would look like me in my head... but she doesn't.

We... should really get off our asses and just make this damn show, shouldn't we?

^-^'

* Oh yes, even though we haven't yet fully completed the scripts for the first season of nine episodes, they are plotted out, and we already have the second season planned. And a holiday special, too.
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.