2013-05-16: Brave

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2013-05-16: Brave

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

TheLastOutlaw
Forum Regular

Re: 2013-05-16: Brave

Post by TheLastOutlaw »

The whole Brave "controversy" smacks of someone realizing that they failed in their attempt to make Merida a princess who is really an anti-princess. As far as her cabbage patch head look, I think it has a lot to do with the mark of Steve Purcell. His art style and design sense oozes from many of the characters, which isn't really a bad thing. I'm stoked to see Steve succeeding, I've been a fan of his since he was doing box art for the first Monkey Island game. Why yes, I am a complete Sam and Max fan boy, thanks for asking :geek:
Stupidity got us into this, why can't it get us out?
Bytemite
Resident Wormhole Lawyer

Re: 2013-05-16: Brave

Post by Bytemite »

I think it sounds like people decided that Pixar doing ONE MOVIE that's mildly tomboy friendly in the decade or so that Pixar has been popular means that they and Disney will suddenly forget that they're in the business to make money and that part of that involves appealing to certain demographics.

No, money's not important, let's go hammer feminism into some groin bits instead! That'll happen.

In short: liked the idea of the Brave movie and could relate to the character, could not care less about the controversy. The reality is that as much as I personally want more female tomboy heroines who downplay appearance as an important attribute, it's also stupid to resent people who DO care about appearance and fashion while I'm busy being a frump by choice and laziness. It's their business what they do, and each person's gotta define what it means to be a guy or a girl for themselves.