2014-04-03: Program Preferences

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2014-04-03: Program Preferences

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Discussion thread for Program Preferences
smilingface
Forum Regular

Re: 2014-04-03: pwc-228

Post by smilingface »

Why bother with coding submissive behavior towards the creator if you can induce respect by showing your power :twisted:

Well, isn't Jordan quite an evil genius :lol:
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

Oh. Oh god. Jordan can give Ann whatever fetish she wants with the push of a button. The potential for abuse (and hilarity) is limitless.
lyze
Errant Scholar

Post by lyze »

Jordan's face in panel five, that's freaking priceless.
Anthony
Errant Scholar

Post by Anthony »

dark_lord_zagato wrote:Oh. Oh god. Jordan can give Ann whatever fetish she wants with the push of a button. The potential for abuse (and hilarity) is limitless.
I appreciate the fact that Jordan left the android aware that she had been reprogrammed.
Baeraad
Forum Regular

Post by Baeraad »

In my ongoing grognardy efforts to understand just what the whole "you just think you think" thing is about, I must now conclude that Ann really is self-aware, as I would define self-awareness; what Jordan means is that her thoughts and feelings are imposed by her programming and can be altered by external means. I would question whether that makes her different from a regular person, but that's a philosophical question, and Jordan doesn't strike me as being interested in that sort of thing. In fact, I think she'd consider me worthy of excessive and merciless mockery just for thinking this much about it - and I am not entirely sure that I can say she's wrong. :oops:
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

I agree. I think she is (by design) sapient but weak-willed. She has knowledge about her own internal states and an intention to guide them as a sapient being would, but lacks the power over herself to do so. It's like an addict who wants to quit but can't seem to make themselves, or someone with a phobia they can't surmount, or a compulsion or obsession they can't override. I wouldn't be surprised if she was also susceptible to induced delusions as well (her perceptions, rather than her desires, being other than she thinks they should be, but lacking the self-control to change them either), for the same kind of reason.

It's really a horrible state to be in. To be conscious and willful enough to know what's going on with you and want to change it... but not quite conscious and willful enough to effect that change in yourself. Jordan is truly evil.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

Anthony wrote:I appreciate the fact that Jordan left the android aware that she had been reprogrammed.
Yes, that might just be the most evil thing Jordan has ever done. And I like it.
Baeraad wrote:what Jordan means is that her thoughts and feelings are imposed by her programming and can be altered by external means.
At this point I would think of it as hypnosis performed using computer science. That would allow Ann to be self aware and still be controlled with such ease. Jordan could probably even hypnotize Craig if she convinced him it was a sex game and told him to sit still for a few minutes, so it shouldn't be too hard to control a brain that she designed herself.
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

Forrest wrote:I agree. I think she is (by design) sapient but weak-willed. She has knowledge about her own internal states and an intention to guide them as a sapient being would, but lacks the power over herself to do so. It's like an addict who wants to quit but can't seem to make themselves, or someone with a phobia they can't surmount, or a compulsion or obsession they can't override. I wouldn't be surprised if she was also susceptible to induced delusions as well (her perceptions, rather than her desires, being other than she thinks they should be, but lacking the self-control to change them either), for the same kind of reason.
She isn't sapient, she is pretending to be so she can mock jordan, because jordan hates herself.
If I type a complicated script into a text file that mocks me while claiming to be sapient, and then run it through a text to speech program, the text to speech program is not sapient. It is just following a script I made in my self loathing

EDIT: I was reading through the archive
http://www.doesnotplaywellwithothers.co ... s/pwc-0169

she has a habit of programming her computers to insult her
Last edited by taltamir on April 5th, 2014, 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Forrest wrote:It's really a horrible state to be in. To be conscious and willful enough to know what's going on with you and want to change it... but not quite conscious and willful enough to effect that change in yourself. Jordan is truly evil.
On the other hand, she might be able to learn how to reprogram herself.