2014-09-07: Questionable Medical Traditions

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2014-09-07: Questionable Medical Traditions

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Discussion thread for Questionable Medical Traditions
lyze
Errant Scholar

Re: 2014-09-07: Questionable Medical Traditions

Post by lyze »

'OH HOLY FUCK! DOCTOR DEATH!' Way to keep your composure there Jordan. And in front of the guests.
Michael Poe
The Almighty Poe

Post by Michael Poe »

lyze wrote:'OH HOLY FUCK! DOCTOR DEATH!' Way to keep your composure there Jordan. And in front of the guests.
Well, really, how often does one actually get an opportunity to yell out 'OH HOLY FUCK! DOCTOR DEATH!'?
Baeraad
Forum Regular

Post by Baeraad »

:ugeek: Nitpick: technically, May's ancestors could not have been put on trial for crimes against humanity in World War One, since the concept did not officially exist until the Nuremberg trials.

Not that I in any way doubt that they did things deserving of the term. I'm sure that it's a point of grievance in the family that those jonny-come-latey Nazis got credit for something that the Heims invented twenty years earlier. There is no justice in the world! :D
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

Wait... I'm wearing a helmet, how could you even see what face I'm making?
But Jordan, your helmet is clearly making a horrified facial expression.

Is that like a built in LCD? Can Jordan display anything she wants on the exterior of her helmet, like a question mark or something?
Mister
New Poster

Post by Mister »

Baeraad wrote::ugeek: Nitpick: technically, May's ancestors could not have been put on trial for crimes against humanity in World War One, since the concept did not officially exist until the Nuremberg trials.
Double nitpick: The concept of crimes against humanity has rarely been applied in a consistent manner and as such so long as this Doctor obeyed the USA then they could never be charged with them.

But on a more serious note. There seems to be some manner of correlation between the presence of Germans and things that just make the rest of the civilised world go "ohgodwhatthefuckwholetthegermansin?"
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

Baeraad wrote::ugeek: Nitpick: technically, May's ancestors could not have been put on trial for crimes against humanity in World War One, since the concept did not officially exist until the Nuremberg trials.
That is untrue
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_crime#Early_examples
Baeraad
Forum Regular

Post by Baeraad »

taltamir wrote:
That is untrue
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_crime#Early_examples
Er, I don't actually see the term used there...? War crimes, sure, those have been a thing for longer. Crimes against humanity are supposed to be a level above those.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimes_aga ... evelopment
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

The name might be different but its the same concept
Even the link I gave is inadequate because its missing ancient examples that didn't use either term

also, the link you did provide also shows that the exact specific term "crimes against humanity" dates to the early 1800s and was used to denounce slave trading initially