2014-11-20: Bloodless Lovers

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2014-11-20: Bloodless Lovers

Post by taltamir »

Michael Poe wrote:the writers couldn't go three whole sentences with out randomly using the words 'chi', 'dragon' or bastardizing something from Buddhism or Shintoism and the art was all kung-fu and anime themed stuff
How is this racist though? its supposed to be the local magic, so it stands to reason it follows local mythology.
Michael Poe
The Almighty Poe

Post by Michael Poe »

Yes I suppose 'racist' is far too strong a word, I just found the execution of the book rather... clumsy. It has that whole 'anime stuff is popular right now so lets throw some shit together randomly without any research' vibe that popped up a lot in the popular culture of the late 90s. Where all of eastern Asian was presented as nothing but tea houses filled with blind monks fighting yakuza thugs on fancy motorcycles and cybernetic secret agents* while a bunch of half naked geisha run around, oh and there's a giant Buddha statue in the background in the middle of a Koi pond surrounded by cherry blossoms with an 400 hundred year old lady trimming a bonsai tree next to it. And this was all suppose to be played totally straight without a trace of irony and humor.

Though Lord knows I was guilty of that sort of thing too.

*White Wolf totally made a companion source book for those too, shortly after they released Kindred of the East. I got hit on the head for trying to play one in a game and was told I was missing the point of the World of Darkness for trying to do so.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

I've read through "Time of Thin Blood", and I know what you're talking about. Essentially, if a 15th generation vampire spends enough blood fast enough, body systems can randomly come back to full life temporarily, which can result in half-vampire babies, which are mechanically identical to revenants (people whose ancestors have been ghouled for so long that they can produce their own vitae).

I actually knew a player who really liked Kindred of the East and preferred playing as a Kue-jin, but I think she actually liked that they were a completely different type of supernatural creature. I couldn't really get into them because their Dharmas were too much like Paths of Enlightenment. I wasn't a good enough roleplayer at the time to portray anything but the Path of Humanity. (Not that I've ever actually played a vampire. I always ended up as a Mage somehow.)

If you want racist, you should look at Whitewolf's Gypsy book. It wasn't even hilariously bad, just offensively bad, or so I heard. I think public outcry was the reason it never got any splats.