2015-07-19: A big Phoney

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2015-07-19: A big Phoney

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Discussion thread for A big Phoney
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2015-07-19: A big Phoney

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

Changing the name of your WiFi network to "FuckYouGetYourOwn" is also a good idea after setting a password, especially if your neighbor always burns up your 250GB monthly bandwidth limit on torrents. Totally wouldn't surprise me if Naga was downloading HD movies or something.
Starphoenix
New Poster

Post by Starphoenix »

They do, it's a fireable offense if you hang up, which can lead to some interesting 30+ minute conversations.

Just be sure to hold the headset a little away from your ear for the more vocal people.
Baeraad
Forum Regular

Post by Baeraad »

It feels weird to actually be rooting for the tech support person for once...
Alice Machaer
Forum Regular

Post by Alice Machaer »

I know, right? Given the "Monopoly Cable, your only choice" bit at the beginning, I was expecting the company, or at least the tech support person, to be the bad guy here. But yeah, people in that line of work do have to put up with a lot of customer idiocy.
lyze
Errant Scholar

Post by lyze »

I've worked tech support for a couple of broadband and video providers and while I've never had this particular situation happen, I have had quite a few kids calling in trying to get help circumventing parental controls on both their computers and cable boxes. Those are always fun.

We didn't have exactly a 'no hanging up' policy. If it got to the point where it was obvious you were talking to either a) not a customer as Naga or b) abusive or blatant trolling call, we were allowed to ask them twice if there were any actual issues we could help them with and roll out the closing dialogue. If the customer was being obstinate but legitimately just not taking the answer give to their answer (yes, you do have to plug a dsl modem into a phone jack, no, that's not what wireless means) then yeah, you had to stay on the line till they gave up.

We called putting an annoying customer on hold 'putting them in the penalty box'. Usually we just put a ranter on mute and doodled.
Starphoenix
New Poster

Post by Starphoenix »

See, I'm not even allowed to doodle, so I have to find a different way of entertaining myself.

The no hang up policy doesn't really bother me as I'm not the one doing the calling. If I was making commission off of these calls, I might actually give two shits, but when a customer manages to break the thirty minute mark, the problem usually isn't technical or financial and is generally something about them that needs to be addressed.