2017-08-03: Villain Signalling

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2017-08-03: Villain Signalling

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Discussion thread for Villain Signalling
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2017-08-03: Villain Signalling

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

I've heard stories about some of the crazy shit Marvel is doing these days, though I haven't read one of their comics since Age of Apocalypse when my X-Men subscription ran out. I remember Marvel always had a progressive agenda, and the only thing i can really say about that is things used to be different. The tone was more positive, the message was brotherhood and reconciliation, and the villains were villains because they did bad things. It was social justice done right.

Now we have social justice done wrong, and everyone already knows what that's like.
Baeraad
Forum Regular

Post by Baeraad »

dark_lord_zagato wrote:I've heard stories about some of the crazy shit Marvel is doing these days, though I haven't read one of their comics since Age of Apocalypse when my X-Men subscription ran out. I remember Marvel always had a progressive agenda, and the only thing i can really say about that is things used to be different. The tone was more positive, the message was brotherhood and reconciliation, and the villains were villains because they did bad things. It was social justice done right.

Now we have social justice done wrong, and everyone already knows what that's like.
The only Marvel comic I read is Daredevil, but I can't say I've seen anything crazy in that one for years. The closest thing to political commentary I can remember was one part with the Hatemonger, and that one actually went out of its way to point out that hating "the conservatives" or "the one-percenters" is still hating and thus still bad. Like you said, a message of brotherhood and reconciliation - a bit hamfisted, but essentially well-meaning.

I don't know what they get up to in other titles, but if you only have other people's word for it, I'd point out that outrage tends to grow in the telling and that it's very likely that things aren't as bad as you've been told.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Jordan is going to beat the Hell out of these two with her cybernetic hand tied behind her back.
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

Baeraad wrote:I don't know what they get up to in other titles, but if you only have other people's word for it, I'd point out that outrage tends to grow in the telling and that it's very likely that things aren't as bad as you've been told.
True, and at this point I would expect most people to exaggerate when talking about things they don't like. I've seen some panels that raise an eyebrow at least, although I don't know how these chapters ended.
Ugwump
Forum Regular

Post by Ugwump »

The "Social" part always reminded me of High School. So I keep hearing "High School Justice". And if you were not one of the "cool kids" you know what a load of shit that was.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Ugwump wrote:The "Social" part always reminded me of High School. So I keep hearing "High School Justice". And if you were not one of the "cool kids" you know what a load of shit that was.
I'd be skeptical of that too, but I don't think it's remotely what anyone means.