2017-08-17: Clean Up Your Act

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Baeraad
Forum Regular

Re: 2017-08-17: Clean Up Your Act

Post by Baeraad »

Alice Machaer wrote:But I'd still be okay with that as long as we get some more scenes of Jordan sticking it to hate groups and to corrupt, selfish corporate heads and congresspeople, who I'd argue are more of a threat to American society these days than a relatively small and ineffectual group of leftie placard-wavers on campuses.
Yeah, you'd think Jordan would be having a field day with all the dumb shit coming out of the White House these days. The only semi-explanation for why she isn't seems to be that now regular people are as over the top as she is, and that takes the fun out of it. But what, is she some kind of supervillain hipster now? "Ew, hating Republicans has gone mainstream! That means it sucks now!" :p
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

To be honest, I took one look at the recent arc and sat Poe down for a heart to heart about what he actually meant to say, because I strongly suspected it did not make it onto the page. He was still trying to skewer pretense, and this particular arc was initially meant to be about tokenism in comics. But he fucked this arc up as a writer, and the timing didn't help at all, and he's got to take ownership of that and correct course.

So he's cut the arc short and been rethinking how to communicate lately... and a newspost will be up about that sometime next week. Among other changes, he's purged his follow lists in a bunch of places so he stops spending every day floating in a pond full of assholes while trying to make fun of the scum. I've been trying to yank him out of that muck for years now, saying that following every extremist on the internet wasn't good for him as a person or as a writer, and that there's such a thing as being too negative to be writing dark humor... and I think his failure to communicate or land a punchline with this arc might finally have gotten that through to him.

-_-'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Thank you for the update Impy! Like I said, nothing in this arc has really been that bad (and plenty of it was good as usual, I still laughed), it's just leaning slowly in a direction that makes me start to question whether I want to be laughing along with it. (I'm picturing, as an analogy, how the chorus of "Fuck yeah!"s in the song "America: Fuck Yeah!" slowly falls apart into more "uhh fuck yeah?"s as the things they're supposed to be cheering get more questionable).

It's reassuring to know you guys are at least aware of and concerned about it, and your advice to Poe sounds like good advice to me. :-)
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

Glad to hear you're both doing okay. Just to be clear on this, I wouldn't stop reading DNPW just because of how this arc turned out. Sinfest was a completely different situation, as the entire comic became an advertisement for the author's new ideology. And I did kind of get the impression that this arc was more about major comic book publishers than anything happening in real life.

Unfollowing all the extremists is a good idea though. They have a right to free speech, but they deserve to speak in front of an empty auditorium with crickets chirping in the background. :p
Baeraad
Forum Regular

Post by Baeraad »

I agree, that is good to hear. :)
Alice Machaer
Forum Regular

Post by Alice Machaer »

Impy-Chan and Poe, you rock! 8-)