2018-12-13: Rebooted Childhood

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2018-12-13: Rebooted Childhood

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Discussion thread for Rebooted Childhood
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2018-12-13: Rebooted Childhood

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

I wouldn't mind if the She-Ra reboot only looked different, as things have changed from physical animation cells to CG in the last 30 years, but I was reading some of the stuff the cast had to say about it and it's just awful. They're basically using it as an excuse to push their ideology on the viewer. 99 genders, no cis hets allowed, ect...

The Filmation version was guilty of this too, only in a different way. Lou Scheimer used it to force his "pro social" agenda down the viewers throat, and this led to some ridiculous scenes like Hordak telling his troops to use freeze rays on the good guys because hurting people is bad. No violence ever, no matter what.

I just want my cartoons to be awesome for the sake of being awesome, and not try to program kids into behaving in a certain way.
Baeraad
Forum Regular

Post by Baeraad »

dark_lord_zagato wrote:I wouldn't mind if the She-Ra reboot only looked different, as things have changed from physical animation cells to CG in the last 30 years, but I was reading some of the stuff the cast had to say about it and it's just awful. They're basically using it as an excuse to push their ideology on the viewer. 99 genders, no cis hets allowed, ect...
And this is why you should avoid at all cost learning what the creators think they're saying. It's usually something stupid, and then you have to get mad at it and can't enjoy the show anymore.

I, on the other hand, have only seen the show and can thus enjoy it just fine. Because regardless of whatever well-meaning stupidity the cast is afflicted with, no one on it ever says anything about how many genders there is supposed to be, nor speak out against cis hets. (actually, doesn't Seahawk count as a cis het? And Angela was apparently very much in love with her husband, and given that they were able to produce Glimmer together I'm going to assume that that was a cis het pairing until proven otherwise)
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

Baeraad wrote:And this is why you should avoid at all cost learning what the creators think they're saying. It's usually something stupid, and then you have to get mad at it and can't enjoy the show anymore.
At this point it's almost like a shock site. I know i'm gonna lose my lunch but I click on the link anyway, and I have no one to blame but myself.

Sometimes director commentary is worth it though. John Kricfalusi has a lot of interesting things to say about the cartoon industry in the Ren and Stimpy DVD collections. Also some of the jokes in South Park are so obscure you almost have to watch the commentary track to find out what they were going for. I had to have "Jacking it in San Diego" explained to me for example...
Ophidiophile
Forum Regular

Post by Ophidiophile »

I watched Kim Possible a couple of years ago, as a very old adult (full disclosure: nobody thinks I've grown up), and I immediately watched it again, in the creation order instead of the broadcast order. It is very watchable as an adult, as it doesn't talk down to kids like most cartoon shows.