OOC - Character Workshop

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: OOC - Character Workshop

Post by Sareth »

The Imp-chan is gracious! Everyone send cookies to the Imp-chan!

^_^
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Imp-Chan wrote:Ehehehehe. I will post an announcement on the main page, since you're interested in having new players.

^-^'
Excellent. The "announcement" that I put up here in the forum will expire in a few days, but can obviously be renewed and used as an info source that the main page points to, if appropriate. Just let me know how long you want to leave the announcement on the main page, and I'll twiddle the one here as appropriate. (Sorry for the duplicate on this. I'm functioning with about half a brain at the moment after getting dumped out of a chair at work. These things happen to me; at least the third chair to do it, at least two with the 5-wheel design that's supposed to make that impossible.)

And I ALWAYS endorse the idea of cookies for Impy. :-)

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Arreksu
Forum Trainee

Post by Arreksu »

Cookies? Oh, why, look what I have here...

(::) (::) (::) (::) (::) (::) (::) (::)

I'm afraid the only baking skills I have are limited to the interwebz.
Very well, I accept. Twizzlers at dawn 'pon the field of honour.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

While I'm at it, I'm also creating a Unified Theory of the Errant Road Universe, also known as a single post that houses all of the rules, procedures, etc. where they're easy to find. Reviewing the old rules and introductory thread left me with lots of holes, so rather than try to link to the posts where things started and then reading along to discover how they've since changed, I thought I'd just rewrite them all for the present tense and make it shiny and cohesive.

See what happens when you give me cookies?

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

You end up with Albert Einstein's hairdo and Stephen Hawking's ambitions?

I'm getting sugar free cookies!

Seriously though, awesomesauce!
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

I don't plan to be as active in the Airship Pirates thread as in the other two, but for completeness, and also for the sake of having a character who can come and go as needed to keep things moving:

Name: Rupert Ricordiel; goes by "Rip" or "Ripcord"
Race: Human
Origins: Rip is the child of a man (fully human) from the Northern Confederacy and a Tsuirakuan woman from a high-class family. (How they got together is a long story, and he himself doesn't know all of it.) His experience growing up partly in the north, partly in Tsuirakushiti was quite similar to Bani Igaaru's in the main story. On completion of his D.Thm., he took a faculty position in the sociology department at one of the "community-college" level institutions in Tsuirakushiti, and in this capacity, ran into Sasha Mitchel when she took a class from him there; however, the two wouldn't remember each other, neither the class nor the professor nor the student being particularly memorable.

About two years back, he went on a sabbatical to Farrel, intending to live off the land while he researched a paper on Farrelite guilds that he was going to write when he got back home. However, he discovered that he enjoyed the privateering lifestyle enough that he's been in no hurry to resume his humdrum life in Tsuiraku. Being single and unattached (he fancies himself a ladies' man, and pretends not to notice that his luck with the ladies really isn't all that good), he simply settled down in Isabel, taking the role of ground crew with one of the mercenary bands that he was "researching" when they went into the airship-pirate business. He mainly fills this role (his one area of exceptional magical virtuosity is in repairing things, which comes in handy in that line of work) and sticks around Isabel most of the time, but goes on the occasional raid with his employers when they're short staffed and/or he's getting bored.

Appearance: Rip looks his age (42) but no more. He's of average height and slender build, with brown hair (just a touch of gray at the temples) and eyes. He normally is clean shaven but lets his beard grow out when he's out with an airship, which gives him a somewhat scruffy look. He wears clothes to try to fit in with his surroundings, nothing out of the ordinary, but again, generally on the shabby side -- he could afford better, but keeping a low profile is a good thing in his line of work.

Equipment: Mainly Thurston, the cigar-smoking parrot. (Rip, incidentally, does not smoke himself.) Thurston is a typical Tsuirakuan familiar of no abnormal abilities, apart from familiarish intelligence and unusual skill with languages -- he was hard-wired with a Translation spell at creation. This has come in handy when "out in the field." Rip carries a revolver but rarely uses it (in the episode at the beginning of the story, it wasn't even loaded), a dagger that he also rarely uses, and a wand for spellcasting that he uses rather more often, but mainly just to repair the airship, do analyses on weird items plundered on raids, and generally, do supportive stuff. His few other belongings are usually carried in a Pocket Dimension that he opens only on rare, almost extraordinary, occasions. Included among these is a crystal ball that he literally hasn't used in years... but it's there in case things get really messy.

He is competent in a fight, whether physical or manual, and can cast the usual array of offensive and defensive spells that a Tsuirakuan generalist can use, but has no specializations anywhere near the battlemage level and generally avoids combat where possible. In short, he's just another Tsuirakuan out to see the world, although one with an advanced degree and probably some serious magical skills if he ever bothered to tap them; he simply doesn't.

Incidentally, he knew Argus Cleiviein slightly in grad school, but hasn't seen him in many years and doesn't know that Argus got exiled; Rip is rather unconcerned with the nuances of Tsuirakuan society, which is one reason why he's in Isabel.

Templar771
Forum Regular

Post by Templar771 »

Is there a position for a helmsman/pilot type person or is that taken by the captain?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Templar771 wrote:Is there a position for a helmsman/pilot type person or is that taken by the captain?
It would be normal to have a helmsman who flies the airship to wherever the captain tells him/her to. Got somebody in mind?

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Yeah, we could use a helmsman. And a doc of some sort would be good too. As would some sort of master gunner. Plus all the usual odds and sods you need sailing the unfriendly skies.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Hi all, I'm new here, but I've been reading the comic for a few months now.

I saw the advertisement on the main page and I thought I'd give this character creation thing a whirl. I'll be honest, this probably won't be the most original - but here goes.

Name: Maduin Lochlear
Race: Human

Physical characteristics: Curly brown/blonde hair, hazel eyes, not quite plump, but well-fleshed. Dimples. About 5'9'.

Backstory: Maduin is the son of well-to-do merchant Graham Lochlear and his wife, determined homemaker Jeanine Lochlear. He is the third child of five, two brothers and two sisters. (Graham Jr, Lawrence, Susan, and Anastasia). Rather than the well-known and prestigious institution of Sashi-Mu, he attended a smaller, private college on the outskirts of Tsuiraku, Kani Mu Duair.

Maduin is always polite (due to his upbringing), sometimes flighty, occasionally manipulative, on rare occasions sarcastic, and while he's regarded by many of those who know him as fairly bright, he never quite seems to put his intelligence to the proper use that his parents would prefer to advance himself in life. As trite and cliched as it sounds, he's more interested in finding someone to love, with the rest of his priorities often taking a place on the back burner when they should be at the forefront of his attention. His scholastic standing was an unfortunate casualty of said distraction, and while he finished in the upper quarter of his class and acquired a magical license, he didn't do as well as his parents and instructors felt he could have.

Jeanine isn't thick, and she has a fairly good idea of what's on his mind, but unfortunately, what she doesn't know is that the long line of young ladies she's introduced him to don't interest him at all. In fact, he'd rather compete with them for the attention of whatever happens to be tall, broad-shouldered, attractive, and nearby. Therein lies the problem. He can't find anyone to return his affections, so he's decided to broaden his search area.
Last edited by Porcelain Fish on July 26th, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.