2011-01-10: New Year, New Webcomics!

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2011-01-10: New Year, New Webcomics!

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for New Year, New Webcomics!
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Re: 2011-01-10: New Year, New Webcomics!

Post by ChunLing »

Yea!...er, wait, what was that part about death?
Kill...more...elves.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

This sounds really quite exciting! I'm looking forward to it.

If it's not too spoilery, I am curious about Errant Story itself. Does this news mean we're within a couple of months of the end of ES? Or do you figure you are able to do that and still be able to knock out Does Not Play as well without burning yourself out?
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I used to have an exact end date for ES, but with all the stuff that's happened I no longer do. But yes, Errant Story will end in a few months, and Errant Tales will start the Monday immediately thereafter. It will use the same ErrantStory.com website, though of course I also registered the other domain and will point it to the correct place.

Poe currently has a lead of 34 comics for Does Not Play Well With Others, 30 of which are inked and scanned but not yet finished. Part of the reason the comic did not start in 2005 was because I knew he couldn't do both, and have stubbornly refused to let him launch a new comic without at least six weeks of backlog and a clear and fast approaching end date for Errant Story.

Errant Tales is a lot easier to keep a schedule for... we've got about three months of lead time right now, and enough scripts planned to last a long time (though I need to ride Poe about actually writing them down). That doesn't magically mean we're on time for everything, though, it just means that after the scripts I'm going to be the weakest link. For example, right now I'm about three weeks late in responding to thumbnails from Sonny, and it doesn't matter what the reason is, I still need to get my ass in gear...

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Thanks Impy. It sounds like you folk are on top of everything in spite of it all. That's good to hear.
pillar_of_hate
Forum Regular

Post by pillar_of_hate »

Does DNPWWO mark a return to the cavalier attitude toward nudity, drugs, and sexual themes of "early Poe"?

ALSO the "About" and "Studio" tabs just redirect to "#" if you click on them (not the drop-down menus, the actual tabs themselves), in case you want to fix that.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

pillar_of_hate wrote:Does DNPWWO mark a return to the cavalier attitude toward nudity, drugs, and sexual themes of "early Poe"?
Well, certainly it's the return of the cavalier attitude in general. Though, honestly, I don't think anyone could claim it ever really departed, it is certainly coming back to being a primary component after drifting in the background for a very long time.

We have yet to work out exactly how to bring those attitudes back into the forums. We knew the new comic would be a different attitude from the Errant stuff and will probably attract a new and different crowd, but we're not sure yet how different it will get. There's been some admin discussion about it during the planning stages, but I think the consensus was to a) see how things played out once the comic actually gains momentum, and b) ask you guys what you're looking for once things do start playing out. At the very least, we do already have a system in place for expanding the moderation on the boards if we gain a lot more traffic and new members to the point where a few more eyeballs are needed, it's been there patiently waiting for us to need it from day one.

I personally don't have any fundamental objection to discussion of nudity, sex, drugs, etc., so long as the core respectful attitude of the board members towards each other is maintained. However, it might be good to keep at least some of the boards work safe, just from general prudence. So far, we've all been accidentally managing that very well by burying all even remotely risque topics in walls of rambling text and nested quotes, so I don't think we've got all that much to worry about in future.

^-^'

Edit: Also, is no one excited about Rook and the Pirates of the Ether? I am totally psyched to be working on it, 'cause Sonny is made of awesome and keeps making things better than I ask him to.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Imp-Chan wrote:Edit: Also, is no one excited about Rook and the Pirates of the Ether? I am totally psyched to be working on it, 'cause Sonny is made of awesome and keeps making things better than I ask him to.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm too sleep-deprived (and too grouchy about getting on an airplane for a business trip in a few minutes) to be excited about much of anything. However, this looks to be a great deal of fun. It also looks like a FABULOUS excuse to get the "Airship Pirates" venue in Errant Road back active, as soon as we start to see how the stuff with Rook unfolds.

That said, I'm going to miss the Errant Story cast of characters greatly. One of the down sides to doing a prequel rather than a sequel, particularly one set long before any of the known characters are on the stage other than the elves, is that we lose contact with a lot of e-people we've come to know and love. I'll miss Sarine, Meji, Jon, etc., greatly -- which is not so say I won't enjoy Rook and whoever else gets created for that story.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

I think he speaks for me as well. I am very interested to see the new story, but will miss the old one. I guess I'm discussing DNPWWO because we are already seeing some of it (even if it's just moving previous journal posts to the new archive, a delightful romp. Today's cracked me up when first I saw it, and still has me snickering today.)

Speaking of keeping things SFW, anybody seen Labrat? I kinda miss that bastard...
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

Graybeard wrote:That said, I'm going to miss the Errant Story cast of characters greatly.
You haven't seen the last of them by any means, quite a few of the Errant Tales will feature familiar faces (and there are still two actual Errant Story sequels in the works as well)...

^-^'