Reader's Night

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Reader's Night

Post by Imp-Chan »

One of those little things I've been wanting to do is arrange for our local readers to have a chance to get together. Ideally, we'd also have one of these every time we went to a convention. Would people be interested in a Reader's Night sometime in September, here in Cincinnati?

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: Reader's Night

Post by Neko7 »

Mind to explain a little bit what a "Reader's Night" is about?

(sorry for the lack of common knowledge)
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

Neko7 wrote:Mind to explain a little bit what a "Reader's Night" is about?

(sorry for the lack of common knowledge)
People who read the comic get together and go out drinking/partying/talking/carousing/whatever in a big happy group.
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

Tiamat wrote: People who read the comic get together and go out drinking/partying/talking/carousing/whatever in a big happy group.
( Whooaaa... I was that far? Good thing I asked, I was almost convice that would be a kind meeting with discution about the story/character/plot/detail that people could have missed, with phylosophicla/theological/esoterical related debate on the Errant story univers... Kind of Errant Story-cafe culturel evening. )
Last edited by Neko7 on September 6th, 2007, 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Neko7 wrote:
Tiamat wrote: People who read the comic get together and go out drinking/partying/talking/carousing/whatever in a big happy group.
( Whooaaa... I was that far? Good thing I asked, I was almost convice that would be a kind meeting with discution about the story/character/plot/detail that people could have missed, with phylosophicla/theological/esoterical related debate on the Errant story univers... King of Errant Story-cafe culturel evening. )
These two descriptions are not mutually exclusive.

Unfortunately being over half a continent away I won't really be able to make it. Think of me while you're philosophizing and/or having big hot orgies.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

So, I'm resurrecting this thread because lightning has just struck my brain, and I have an idea that I want to run past the community here.

At Jim's bachelor party last summer, after an indescribably geeky activity of which I am forbidden to ever speak in detail, we went and played pirate laser tag. It was awesome except that we went for their unlimited games deal, and so did lots of random obnoxious tweens who spent the entire evening making out in the corners and whining if you interrupted them with some well-intentioned laser fire. Apparently, they're a fixture of the unlimited games nights, but they're easily preventable with a private function that would allow us decrepit old folks a chance to play in peace (incidentally, I'm only 23 and I routinely kicked the children's asses without a shred of regret, as did the rest of our party).

And then a few months ago I got to thinking. You all know I've been wanting to have a reader gathering for ages, but I have been lacking in ideas for an appropriate venue for this particular group. But now here's the brilliant idea: Sometime around the middle of June or possibly even much much sooner, we could hold a reader gathering WITH PIRATE LASER TAG!

So I looked it up, and I found out we could get the whole place to ourselves for a few hours of unlimited games without tweens if we just went ahead and rented it for a private party, AND it would cost almost exactly the same thing per person as showing up for their unlimited games thing already did... so long as we could get more than about 20 people together to play. Space rentals can include unlimited soda and some pizza or bringing one's own food, too. The whole evening would probably be around $15 per person, at a guess, maybe a bit less ahead and a bit more at the door or something. So long as some people paid ahead, we could probably secure the place with that and then still have a ticket situation for any last-minute stragglers. Easy and fun for all!

Personally, I think the laser tag place is actually a great venue for a reader gathering in general, even if we didn't rent ahead and instead just all showed up at the appointed hour for their regular unlimited games thing. It's got large booths for the "talking about the story/character/plot/details that people could have missed, with philosophical/theological/esoteric debate on the Errant Story universe..." part. Also for hanging out and just chatting in general. And then there's the laser tag and I think a few arcade games, too. It's basically the perfect place for a bunch of near strangers from the internet to gather for a few hours to chat, play games, and occasionally practice pretending to kill each other.

Plus... PIRATES!

So... any thoughts? I'd like to get a sense of whether or not enough people are even interested before I look into this idea any more seriously.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Shteven
Forum Regular

Post by Shteven »

An excellent idea, sadly killed by geographical limitations. This is the main drawback of the internet imho - all the people I know live too far away from me. *sniff*
At Jim's bachelor party last summer, after an indescribably geeky activity of which I am forbidden to ever speak in detail, we went and played pirate laser tag.
When did talking about LARPing FWF characters become forbidden?
Xelphias
New Poster

Post by Xelphias »

I would be game, if I could get a rough idea as to how far away I would be going. I live in the smack dab middle of northern ohio, so I'm about 3 hours away from pretty much everywhere. I'd be cool with a reader's party type deal if anyone else is.