Getsemiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: Getsemiel

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli watched the mornings developments from the wagon with little vested interest. His attention was on the town and it's galumphing ('yes, that's definitely the word', he thought.) residents, marveling at their unsteady progress on the same way a scientist might study an ant farm. Something cold was creeping over the half-elf, he had no gift for precognition, but there was a certainty in his gut that something bad was going to happen in that town, something worse than a few ignorant savages staring at him like he was a witch.

"I just hope that passer-by was a sign of friendliness to come." He heard himself say.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"I just hope that passer-by was a sign of friendliness to come."

Sister Rose was amused. "That wasn't just a passer-by," she said. "He's one of the priests at the Calfornican temple. From the smell of him, he must have drawn the assignment of presiding over Matins, which is a considerably more -- mellow ritual in the Calfornican Church than in most denominations and sects."

That got her some odd looks around the wagon, so she continued. "The Calfornicans are actually more doctrinally conservative than most non-Orthodox denominations in the church. Most of their basic doctrine and dogma is quite similar to Orthodox. It's just their rites that are a bit odd." She chuckled. "For example, you should see what their smitings are like. They finish up with back rubs and munchies."

They were approaching the temple now, and the source of the steam plume was obvious: there was a steaming, churning pool of water along one side of the building, with several men and women nearly immersed in it. [OOC: I don't know that the concept of "jacuzzi" exists in the Poe-verse, so I'm not using the term here, but ... /OOC:] The grounds were ... different, too. The walls of the temple were covered with grape vines. The formal garden surrounding the temple seemed to be decked out with various strains of lotus, floating in artistically arranged waterways. Tall, slender plants were interspersed among them; Rose knew from her previous visit here that they were pitcher plants, carnivorous plants that would help keep the insect population down. And out back, one could see the temple's vegetable garden, which of course was 100% organic ... and included a substantial plot of the "wildwood flower" that played a central part in Calfornican rituals, and had already been savored by that young priest this morning.

Rose turned a puckish grin toward Lillith. "So what do you think? Is this your kind of place?"

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Tim grimaced as they rolled into town - he hadn't want to come this far before scouting behind. In the hills, the roads would be constricted, and the enemy would have to stick to them; on the coastal plain, by contrast, she might have an easier time evading them.

Well, he was alone with Bryce now and determined to make the best of it. He looked for the highest piece of ground nearby. His intent was to get to it, and look for signs of their pursuer. If she was kin to Ronnie, then she was Veracian, and probably devout. There might be ways of stopping her without a fight.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus looked around slowly, one eyebrow slowly creeping up. Harker glanced up at him. "Didn't you meet a similar group, way up north? Just, uh, non-Luminositan?"

"The Disciples of Woh, or somesuch," Argus murmured back. "Definitely spiritual kindred. They'd probably convert in an instant if they saw this getup." He also remembered that said group was cannier than they let on. A good thing to keep in mind here.

Personally, he was becoming more and more convinced that he really need a nice long talk with Rose. Later. Really.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

"Well, the local residents certainly have a very pleasant demeanor," Maduin smiled warmly, but privately his thoughts were elsewhere, centered mostly around Bryce.

So he was even more startled than he might have been otherwise when he felt it, a burning gaze, there just for an instant, and he stiffened, smile becoming slightly fixed. He scanned the crowd more carefully than before, but for the most part, the passersby seemed to share the same easy, congenial attitude as their guide.

Still, he rummaged in his luggage, coming up with a mantle in soft amber that wouldn't clash overmuch with the russet robe and butter-colored shirt he was wearing, wrapped it lightly around his shoulders, and draped the hood over his head.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

As the wagon pulled up in front of the temple, a middle-aged woman wearing obvious (but ... different ...) nun's robes emerged from the front door, smiling beatifically, wearing flowers in her hair very much like Sister Rose's, and bearing the same pungent scent as their guide. Rose squinted at her, and recognition dawned. "Sister Nymphaea," she murmured sotto voce to the other passengers. "She was here when we -- I came through before. She's okay, if a little ..."

Rose didn't get to finish the sentence before the woman came over to the wagon. "Oh, wow," she breathed, as though it was the usual greeting for anyone arriving at the temple. "I mean, like, totally, greetings in the name of Our Lord Luminosita." (At least she got the name out right the first time, Rose thought with amusement.) "I'm Sister Nymphaea, everybody calls me Nimmie, and Arnie totally welcomes you to our temple. Can I get you anything to --"

"Drink?" Rose finished the sentence for her, smiling, and getting a smile in return; evidently exactly this kind of interrupted greeting had happened before. "Yes, that would be very nice. We've been on the road a long time." She made introductions, although she was pretty sure this woman wouldn't remember the party's names after the ... effects of Matins wore off.

The nun's smile broadened, and she blinked bloodshot eyes. "Oh, wow ..." she repeated happily. "Let me take care of it, so like, make yourselves totally at home in our garden while I get Arnie." She floated back into the temple without waiting for a response.

Rose shone a wry smile around the wagon. "So, like she said, I guess we make ourselves at home ... totally."

-----------

The scary woman groaned as she crested the pass above town. It looked like at least two more hours' walk to get there, and Luminosita alone knew where the Tsuirakuan devil might have disappeared to by then. Well, he should stick out in a proper Veracian town like a sore thumb.

But wait; what was that? She'd been staying on the side of the main road to make herself less conspicuous, and the exposed shoulder as she rounded a hairpin turn gave her a look into the next valley over. There was an airship down there; she was sure of it. You just didn't see that kind of thing in these mountains, and it looked like just the kind of thing that a Tsuirakuan devil might use to avoid detection.

This needed investigating. Slipping further off the road, with concealment skills that observers would have found most unusual in a Veracian farm woman, she started to conduct a distant, careful reconnaissance of the ship.

Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"The Calfornicans are actually more doctrinally conservative than most non-Orthodox denominations in the church. Most of their basic doctrine and dogma is quite similar to Orthodox. It's just their rites that are a bit odd." She chuckled. "For example, you should see what their smitings are like. They finish up with back rubs and munchies."

Rose turned a puckish grin toward Lillith. "So what do you think? Is this your kind of place?"

I know she's talking to Lillith, but screw it.

"It's beautiful," I say admiringly. "And... I didn't expect to find public bathing like this outside of Tsuirakushiti." In Snamish groups of people often go swimming in the lake together, but that isn't really the same as public bathing. I've heard mother tell stories of the bath-houses of Tsuirakushiti with admiration. Apparently they were popular with the Rinkai before the war. I've always wanted to go to one, but... well, I'm getting the impression that we aren't heading towards Tsuirakushiti any time soon.

"How do they heat the water?" I ask. I don't really expect anyone here to have the answer, but it never hurts to ask.

However, it seems I won't get my answer - or at least not yet. Rose appears to be getting us rooms? We're staying here?

"Do you think I'll get to try out the baths?" I ask no one imparticular.

-- Desiree
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

As Sister Nimmie walked off to get the drinks, Lillith looked around, her mouth half smiling, half agape. She turned a circle, slowly, drinking it all in. As she completed the turn she shook her head. "Please do not be offended, Rose," she said quietly, "but how is it possible these people are Luminositans? They're... so... out. Far out. I mean..."

She glanced back out toward the pool. "Ah, screw it. I don't get it. But... do you think they'll let me try the pool?" The girl fidgeted.

"As sweet and lovely and kind and beautiful as you are, they couldn't possibly deny you any more than I could," Brad replied, smiling. He wrapped his arms around Lillith from behind.

Lillith leaned back into his embrace and reached her hand back over her shoulder to rest on his cheek. "Silly man. Want to come with me?"

"Absolutely! Of course! I'd love to!"

Harker snickered, and Lillith clearly made an effort to bite back a little laugh herself.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

As Lillith and a wide-eyed Brad approached the hot pool beside the temple, a tall, lean, gray-haired man extracted himself from the foaming surface of the water. He wore command and charisma like personal armor. He wore nothing else.

"Welcome to Getsemiel," he proclaimed to the couple as he found a towel (there appeared to be a pile of them at the side of the pool) to dry himself off with, not particularly bothering to use it for concealment (and he had fairly impressive equipment to conceal, both Brad and Lillith noticed). "I'm Father Arnold. I'll be with your party in a few minutes, but for now, enjoy yourselves." He finished drying off, slipped on a robe, and stepped through the back door into the temple.

--------

Sister Nimmie emerged from the temple bearing bottles and glasses. "It's, like, totally natural water from our hot springs," she said with obvious (if mellow) pride. "Arnie's busy with, like, cat -- cate -- catechism, I think he calls it. He'll be done in a few minutes."

Sister Rose thanked the nun (in the process noticing a few minor adjustments that she wanted to make in her flowery headpiece, to better match Nymphaea's), and she floated back into the temple. Rose inspected the bottles; just as advertised. "I'll vouch for the qualities of this water," she said, passing the drinks around and reserving a couple of bottles for the absent party members. A droll smile crossed her face. "I will say one thing, though: if she brings out a snack tray next, as is entirely in character for this denomination ... enjoy it, but don't eat the brownies." It might have occurred to her to repeat this bit of advice when Brad, Lillith, Tim and Bryce rejoined the group. However, it didn't. "And yes, Desiree, I'm pretty sure they'd be happy for you to join them in the hot tub." Her gaze flicked to Eli. "You too. For these people, the more, the merrier ... but remember, they're still conservative Luminositans in many ways."

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

From his perch on a nearby knoll, Tim saw, or thought he saw, a figure starting to descend towards town on the road from Umbertiel. He couldn't tell male or female from here, but it wasn't as if the road behind them had been choked with traffic. He wanted to get up there and see. Besides, it was higher ground, and he'd have a better view from there anyway (if, say, any giant lizards were being brought into town from a different direction).

He trotted back down to where Bryce waited with the horse. He explained - "There's someone coming down the road from Umbartiel way. Might be your lady. Take me up there on your horse so we can see. If it is, I'll walk up to her and try to talk some sense into her, or at least find out what the hell's going on. If she's anything like her family, she might listen to a priest. Let's go." Unspoken: If she was anything like Rose's worst fears about Blaise, well, then, Bryce would be able to escape and report Tim's fate to the others.

Sharing a horse with Bryce didn't worry him. While he knew he was young and handsome, he hadn't felt what the Californicans would call "strange vibes" from Bryce's way. Bryce was a native of this country and knew the score - so he would doubtless keep his hands to himself, except where he was wanted, and Tim would honor the unspoken "social contract" by pretending he didn't know.