2012-02-06: Chapter Fifty Commentary

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2012-02-06: Chapter Fifty Commentary

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for Chapter Fifty Commentary
anarcher
Space Tentaclemonster

Re: 2012-02-06: Chapter Fifty Commentary

Post by anarcher »

It's been quite a ride.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

anarcher wrote:It's been quite a ride.
Yeah.

I'm going to miss Errant Story tremendously when it does end. It's been my favorite webcomic, by a wide margin, for a lot of reasons. The art has been excellent (even if Poe can't spell "happened" ;) ...), the world concept intriguing, the story line compelling, and above all, the characters -- Sarine is probably the single most fascinating character I've encountered in any comic, on line or elsewhere. It has also had an exceptionally nuanced view of the subjectivity of evil, the kind of thing one can (and, in the forums, does) ponder and debate for a long, long time. Finally, it's attracted a bunch of fans who are as interesting as the story itself. What more can one ask of a webcomic?

Another thing: there are still so many loose ends just begging to be tied up that we can foresee sequels that will be nearly as interesting as Errant Story itself. I can understand Poe wanting a break from writing fantasy, particularly in view of everything that's happened to him and Impy. But I'm looking forward greatly to everybody "recovering" and finishing a few of these story lines. There's enough here to keep a good team of writers and artists busy for a long time.

Well done, sir.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

anarcher wrote:It's been quite a ride.
I would liken the experience to riding an epileptic stoat made completely out of razorblades bareback, holding on mostly through clenched pelvic muscles and the power of prayer. But in a good way.

We've seen Poe's artistic style finally cement itself in the days since EN: The outlines got cleaner, shading effects actually started meaning something, we have seen fan-done coloring of the comic reach professional levels only to be forgotten at the wayside, and the humor swinging between gallows to whimsy to nonexistent and back to gallows... how many times now? Hell, we switched forums mid-way from Kyhm/Egon/Zombie forum to Viking's lovely ensemble here midway and lost about half of our veterans. And speech bubbles have become an endangered species compared to what they once were.
Sareth wrote:I'm actually going to rule that this is definitely a case of coitus interuptus prematurus gawdammiticus.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Labrat wrote: I would liken the experience to riding an epileptic stoat made completely out of razorblades bareback, holding on mostly through clenched pelvic muscles and the power of prayer. But in a good way.
"Interesting," of course, can be a euphemism under certain circumstances.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

Graybeard wrote:
Labrat wrote: I would liken the experience to riding an epileptic stoat made completely out of razorblades bareback, holding on mostly through clenched pelvic muscles and the power of prayer. But in a good way.
"Interesting," of course, can be a euphemism under certain circumstances.
Anything can be used as a euphemism. Annnnnnnnnything. ಥ益ಥ
Sareth wrote:I'm actually going to rule that this is definitely a case of coitus interuptus prematurus gawdammiticus.
raphfrk
Forum Regular

Post by raphfrk »

So, rhyming

slain -> plain

afraid -> grades (with a silent "s" ?)

So, that leaves

burn -> the end of "World serves its own ..."

I wonder if it is guessable :p.

... learn
... turn
... yearn

Turn kind of works ... like the world keeps turning.
Initial B
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Initial B »

So how long before an REM/ES music video montage makes its way to youtube?
Ori Klein
Forum Regular

Post by Ori Klein »

Graybeard wrote:I'm going to miss Errant Story tremendously when it does end. It's been my favorite webcomic, by a wide margin, for a lot of reasons.
Well done, sir.
Hear! Hear!

Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

Drink deeply, my friends. A sacrifice of braincells in the honor of Poe, weaver of a skein of the surreal and the glorious against a sallow caricature of all the banal dissolution in the world. Shakespeare's gravedigger's given center stage, the madness that any legend would be if drawn in real life highlighted for all to see... and yet it is made all that much more meaningful for its mockery of all fairytales. A fitting epitaph for the world: "Ah, but it was one hell of a ride."

To Poe! I have known you since 2003 and it is still too short a time.