2002-12-13: Geez, this sucks.

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2002-12-13: Geez, this sucks.

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for Geez, this sucks..
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2012-05-18: [CT] This Sucks.

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT] This Sucks.
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2012-05-18: [CT] This Sucks.

Post by Neko7 »

That whole ‘teacher never gives ‘A’ because they’re only for perfect work’ thing seems rather awkward and stupid now, but I swear it was taken from an actual story my Mother told me about one of her teachers.
Oddly enought it made perfect sense to me, since the grading system and habit/behavior in France fit the description quite nicely.
Disciple of Sakura
Forum Trainee

Post by Disciple of Sakura »

Back when I was an art student in college, that was pretty much the policy of all the art professors I had - my GPA was terrible compared to my high school and its straight A's, because they couldn't be bothered giving out more than a B for just about anything. I'm not sure that, if Michaelangelo carved the Pieta for his final project, he wouldn't have gotten a B. Snooty bastards. :x
requiem18th
Forum Trainee

Post by requiem18th »

And because the A, A+, A++ system is not a real scale of how competently can you pass test but a measure of how much you impressed your teacher. Nothing really stands in the way for a A+++.

In Japan, and tsuiraku seems to be insipred by Japan, and in fact in most countries using the metric system, Tests are graded from 0 to 100 meaning 100% success rate. Being from a metric system country that's the way I interpreted it.

Oh and Meji is awesome. I don't know why call her "protagonist by default" I don't think ES gets any more interesting with Sarine as protagonist.
eee
Errant Scholar

Post by eee »

It's good to see young Meji and Ellis again! Ellis... (lip quiver). No, no, I'm fine, it's just.... HE HAD IT ALL!! Opposable thumbs! Cool clothes! A GODDESS as a slave! (Yeah, people say owner; cats know better). A ready made harem! (So what if the Paedagogusi weren't anatomically correct, that's where the goddess-slave comes in). He could have gone where no cat has gone before and DONE THE MISSIONARY POSITION!! Instead, because of Dis-spell... and Dat-spell... he's gone. Gone like the wind. He doesn't even get residuals and guest spots like Ralph and Bimbo.

Why, hyper evolved energy beings, WHY???? :cry:
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

I certainly relate to the "don't give out As" thing.

One of my professors during my Master's Degree coursework was one who believed firmly that when the handbook said that a C counted as "passing, with adequate knowledge to advance" it meant it. Now, keep in mind that, unlike most bachelor's programs, in a Masters anything less than a B average over the course of the degree will typically result in not getting that Masters diploma. I got straight As in every class I took, with the exception of his. The B I got in his is the grade I am proudest of, because by GOD did that class and that professor make you work for it...
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

I haven't ever had a teacher who doesn't hand out A's, and I don't understand the mentality. If you're not going to use the entire measurement scale, your resolution isn't small enough. More often, I run into people who normalize their grades to a bell curve.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

BloodHenge wrote:I haven't ever had a teacher who doesn't hand out A's, and I don't understand the mentality. If you're not going to use the entire measurement scale, your resolution isn't small enough. More often, I run into people who normalize their grades to a bell curve.
Curving hardly helps either, especially if students are allowed to drop.

I had one class graded on a curve, where after every mid-term, the lower half of the class, figuring they were not going to pass since they were below the middling grade level, dropped the class. Then next mid-term half the remainder dropped. And so on. A class of 30ish had about 6 people left by the end of the term, and I presume only two others besides myself actually passed.

A class should have a set amount of material for students to learn and if they learn absolutely all of it, they get an A, regardless of how many others did so. If they learn an acceptable fraction of it, they pass with a C, regardless of how many others do otherwise. And so on for Bs and Ds and such. Certainly, normal distributions (a "curve") should be used for determining what material to expect students to learn, and if a class's grades are frequently far off from a normal distribution that means that the material needs to be adjusted. But one genius in a class shouldn't lower everyone else's grades, and a whole class full of D- dunces shouldn't pass with flying colors just because nobody else was there to outshine them that term.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."