2013-06-13: [CT] Just Following My Orders

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Re: 2013-06-13: [CT] Just Following My Orders

Post by mindstalk »

And she's talking about events that clearly happened before the Errant War.

Mind magic might work on elves if they submit to it; having your memory erased of select knowledge might be part of stepping down. Alternatively, no one steps down, and the woman was raised to the council because other members got killed in the war.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

mindstalk wrote:And she's talking about events that clearly happened before the Errant War.

Mind magic might work on elves if they submit to it; having your memory erased of select knowledge might be part of stepping down. Alternatively, no one steps down, and the woman was raised to the council because other members got killed in the war.
A mind probe might work, as Sarine said, but she.also implied that a wipe would not, else she'd have had one after... well, after.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

After what?
Bytemite
Resident Wormhole Lawyer

Post by Bytemite »

Sarine actually said, when she was chasing away the little old lady in Saus after her flashback to her husband's death, that she "wished" her mind magic worked on elves. It doesn't.
Right, which is why I was saying it might only work on humans. But it also depends on if it's all considered some kind of "mind magic" or if a suggestion spell/some sort of innate Elf-y suggestive power is a different thing from a memory spell. Because she said specifically: "I wish that worked on elves." Leaving the nature of "that" a little ambiguous.

Here's the commentary on that page too, which suggests what Sarine used there might actually be different from the regular magic, so maybe the more brute force magic version can be used on other elves... But other elves would be able to detect it if so.

http://www.errantstory.com/2013-02-15/6287

The half-elves resist healing and transformation spells supposedly because elves have a magic field that when it interacts with healing magic, it resets their bodies back to some genetically determined baseline. So the elves only ever have to worry about injuries for healing, and the half-elves can't heal their genetic defects (blindness, heart problems, chemical imbalances, and so on) - though I've never understood, if that's the case, how it is that elves don't resist the disguise spells like the half elves do.

Anyway, so the question I'm getting at is, the structure of the brain is kinda genetic, but the arrangement of the neurons and the connections formed aren't really. Memories aren't genetic, neither would be the kind of impulses we're talking about, so they shouldn't be protected by the elf magic field. So why wouldn't elves be subject to other suggestion spells or mind wipes?

Maybe they actually aren't naturally resistant to those spells, so instead most elves put special wards on themselves because elf culture can be a little screwed up. The Rinkai alone I could imagine doing a lot of questionable bullshit with suggestion and mind wipe spells.

Back to the original subject about the classified information and retiring council members. They might use a special ability that implants the necessary memories in the council elves, and there's another technique that the other council members can use to then remove those memories.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

"though I've never understood, if that's the case, how it is that elves don't resist the disguise spells like the half elves do"

I don't think half-elves do resist those. There's disguise spells as in illusions, and there's spells that actually change your form. Illusions aren't resistable, but they also won't work on anyone magically inclined, it's like wearing a ghost costume to them.

Hmm, I'm now realizing that when Ian did his impersonation he must have been doing a shapechange, which seems odd vs. illusions. (a) he worried there might be magically adept priest-guards or (b) he never studied illusions, while shapechanging is closely related to healing magic which he did study.