2013-08-12: [CT] Well Off

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-08-12: [CT] Well Off

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT] Well Off
Bytemite
Resident Wormhole Lawyer

Re: 2013-08-12: [CT] Well Off

Post by Bytemite »

My favourite kind of interjection phrases are the kinds that involve references to the chest sizes of various male deities.

I get weird looks.

Happy birthday!
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Poe still does not get that my emotional response to that phrase is not pride for an in-world swear, but evil glee. It's just so damn fun to say, all those twisty syllables.

The one I have pride in is Luminosita's Great Glowing Manberries, which is something said by a character in the Errant Tales. Because as a mixture of the sacred and the profane, plus imagery, it makes me happy. Which is of course the same reason Harper uses it, despite its lack of brevity.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

It's a great expletive. In practice, however, for purposes of brevity, it would quickly be turned into a minced oath -- something along the lines of "lugory" or "lugly," just as "God's wounds" became "zounds" and "Christ's keys" became "crikey" in the real world. Of course, if that was done in the comic, nobody outside the Errant World would understand it, so not much choice but to give the thing in all its glory.

One that would probably be more comprehensible to the reader is "nuts," which would be the obvious mincing of your "Luminosita's great glowing manberries" or the simple "Luminosita's nethers" that many characters in Errant Road use as swear words. Using "nuts" as an expletive is not unknown in the real world, although its origins and hidden meaning aren't clear.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

For that matter, "Luminosita" all by himself would probably be referred to by some shorter honorific, the equivalent of "Lord" or "King" (Bel, Baal, Melech, etc., or for that matter "God"), but leaving the name at full length in the comic helps to remind the reader just which god this is, even if it doesn't roll off the tongue so easily.
RGE
Errant Scholar

Post by RGE »

Poe wrote:Oh and I turned, like 34 yesterday, bloody hell
Oh, congratulations on your oldening as well then! :)

Because fair's fair, and I fight my age by acting like a little kid.
Anthony
Errant Scholar

Post by Anthony »

Graybeard wrote:Using "nuts" as an expletive is not unknown in the real world, although its origins and hidden meaning aren't clear.
Could always go with "Lumnuts". It's only two syllables, which is acceptable for an expletive (compare dammit) though of course the best swear words are only one.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

The sequels to Errant Story are set in the future of the world... Lumnuts may just become an expletive, I like it a lot.

Axe or even lusaxe might also make an appropriate Luminositan swear.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Yes, that's a good one. Impy, a suggestion: dead-tree versions of Errant Story and sequels might do well to make room for a brief, two or three page glossary of words unique to the Errant World. The wiki serves this purpose for Errant Story itself, but it's useful to have the glossary along with the text where it appears. "Lumnuts" would be the kind of thing that would appear there, along with place names, country names, deities, etc.

Incidentally, if you just happen to include "lumnuts" or similar expletives in commentary-track comics, I'll update the wiki to include them. There are a very few "analysis" articles in the wiki, on gender roles (I think) and firearms; another few to fill out the category would be nice, and this would be a good topic for it.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.