2013-10-03: [CT] Perfectly Safe... Right.

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-10-03: [CT] Perfectly Safe... Right.

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT] Perfectly Safe... Right.
Disciple of Sakura
Forum Trainee

Re: 2013-10-03: [CT] Perfectly Safe... Right.

Post by Disciple of Sakura »

It's always possible that she's just playing on his primitive superstitions, and that's not how they operate at all. Unless it's explained that way at another point, you can always say she was joking. Her expression would certainly make that work...
5Cats
Forum Regular

Post by 5Cats »

Yeah, I'd go with the "she was yanking his chains" on this one!

It really opens a para-dimension bubble which causes two fixed positions of time/space to flip. Heck everyone knows THAT!

Much less scary... :shock:
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I had a ridiculous amount of trouble with this three-page sequence. It was originally two pages that felt like they were from two different scenes, and I ran out of room in the chapter to split them separately. I loathe mid-page scene shifts, and didn't want to create one here, so I had to weave them together into one scene instead while trying to preserve that establishing shot of the warp gate building. Plus none of the art was a cooperative shape. I finished editing literally every single other page in the chapter before I managed to figure out what to do with these... and yet, the moment I did figure it out, everything went click. It was actually kinda spooky, like the art on today's page knew exactly what I should do to it.

So, after all that, I'm really proud of how these last three pages came out. Tomorrow's page, on the other hand, was pretty much just a matter of necessity dictating lots of room for text. But it's cute, and sometimes you need a page of cute.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

I think these three pages came out quite well. Compositionally, they make sense, and it's nice to have seen the EllisVision panel in slightly larger size, so that it's clearer what he thought was going on there. The effort you put into getting it to "click" paid off.

The only jarring thing -- probably starting to sound like a broken record here (btw, does that expression still work among sons and daughters of a digital age?) -- is the new art of Sarine. Here, and in so many of the recent images, she looks equal parts sour, cynical and embittered, and in no way the world-weary but conscientious and determined (not to mention beautiful) do-gooder we're used to. That was the Sarine that readers fell in love with, not the sourball who's been showing up in much of the new art. It isn't as severe here as on the previous page, in the middle of the three-page set, but it's still jarring. (Note, btw, that the new Sarine on the page before that one, the first of this three-page set, is excellent, showing the subtleties of mood that we came to appreciate. It's slightly funky from a technical perspective -- her neck is curiously long -- but by and large, it works well. I just wish there was more like that.)

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Anthony
Errant Scholar

Post by Anthony »

I find the art of Sarine jarring not because of it being wrong, but because it stands out for some reason (stylistic I think); it doesn't quite look like it fits with the rest of the page.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

It's mostly the line weight and level of detail Poe is using. There's nothing I can do about it, and very little that Poe can do about it, but hopefully it will be much less jarring once all the shading is done for the books.

On today's page, I don't see Sarine as being grumpy at all, just mocking. On yesterday's page, I completely agree with you, and when I laid it out I hadn't actually intended Poe to draw her face in that panel, just the shadow of her hood. He may change it if he decides to later when he shades.

Some of what you guys are seeing is details that were actually there in the original art, but vanished due to the quality of the image. Sarine has been re-inked in a lot of the panels where she appears, based on the original lines.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

There is only a one in six hundred chance of either male pregnancy or brundelflyism. Or male pregnancy with brundleflies.

Beats dealing with the TSA, anyway. Its somewhere around a one in two hundred chance with those bastards.

And, looking at this, I am remembering fondly the old colored versions of Errant Story that various people did over at Kyhm. Poe is a magnificent artist but his style just worked so much better colored. Sweet cockmongling lobster jesus, that was a lifetime ago. Eight years or thereabouts? More?
Sareth wrote:I'm actually going to rule that this is definitely a case of coitus interuptus prematurus gawdammiticus.