2013-10-21: [CT] Friend Request Denied

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-10-21: [CT] Friend Request Denied

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT] Friend Request Denied
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: 2013-10-21: [CT] Friend Request Denied

Post by Graybeard »

I must say, I really like the new art in this one. The last panel, in particular, captures Meji's and Bani's personalities and friendship very well. The only thing that looks weird is Sarine and Jon suddenly switching places, but there's room in the lobby for that.

One thing that seems odd to me from a story, rather than art, perspective: why would low-level guards at a warp gate, particularly one in a foreign country rather than Tsuiraku, carry something as potent as a Yuuki staff is implied to be? Some kind of subdued crowd-control device, say a magical equivalent of a riot baton and/or tear gas, seems more appropriate than a weapon that can roast the entire interior of the hall, which is kind of the impression of the thing that Meji is giving. Maybe it's just a reaction (overreaction) to the Tower of Artifex incident (we have played with this connection some in Errant Road); certainly, in the real world, there have been ... ahem ... heightened security postures following terrorism in places that believe themselves civilized. You'd really think, though, that the Tsuirakuans have their act together a little better than those real-world places that I won't name. Or is Tsuiraku not quite the idyllic magical paradise that the story sometimes suggests?

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
raphfrk
Forum Regular

Post by raphfrk »

Graybeard wrote:The only thing that looks weird is Sarine and Jon suddenly switching places, but there's room in the lobby for that.
It is probably a mirror image effect? Not sure why it is better than the reverse though.

The previous version of the comic is here, though no panel matches that one exactly, I think. Speaking of which, having the link included automatically would help with comparisons :). Granted some pages don't have one to one matches.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

raphfrk wrote: The previous version of the comic is here, though no panel matches that one exactly, I think. Speaking of which, having the link included automatically would help with comparisons :). Granted some pages don't have one to one matches.
The idea of an embedded link has come up before, but as Impy pointed out at the time, there are numerous practical difficulties, notably the fact that there's a lot of new and revised art. I'm working on some things in the Heretic Knowledge Vault that may help some, and I could use any help that other Heretical Monks might be willing to render. They still won't give you exactly what you're looking for, though.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

The site designer we're working with is also aware of the need to include what I'm calling a "Timey Wimey" button, which will link back and forth between original and updated pages. However, the data for that will need to be put in by hand, and I have waaaaay more on my plate than would allow for that.

Jon and Sarine turn to walk away and the camera moves between panels 2 and 3. However, you're correct that it's just mirrored art, and the reason it's mirrored has to do with having enough room for the speech bubbles on the page.

The last panel is one that Poe and I fought over. He kept trying to draw this tiny, zoomed-out thing that in no way fit with the page. Once I got him to give up on that approach, he came up with this one (which also got mirrored, actually), and I really love the finished art for it. Poe really, REALLY struggles with treating speech bubbles as page elements, though, so it took him a lot of tries to get something that worked. The final panel wound up being done with the Cintiq.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.