2013-10-25: [CT] Fast Times at Sashi Mu High

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-10-25: [CT] Fast Times at Sashi Mu High

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT] Fast Times at Sashi Mu High
raphfrk
Forum Regular

Re: 2013-10-25: [CT] Fast Times at Sashi Mu High

Post by raphfrk »

The old version is here (completely new art). OMIGAWD is changed to OMIFUCK and commentary about Bani isn't included (and an extra fuck was added :) "sucks" changed to "fucking sucks").
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

raphfrk wrote:The old version is here (completely new art). OMIGAWD is changed to OMIFUCK and commentary about Bani isn't included (and an extra fuck was added :) "sucks" changed to "fucking sucks").
The "new art" isn't all necessarily new. We have seen the upper panel previously here, later in the flashback. Not sure about the lower panel. As is noted in one of the other threads here, Poe and Impy are rearranging some of the art (including whole panels) so that a one-to-one correspondence between new and old isn't 100%, and isn't just a matter of stuffing in some new art either. As in the other thread, that makes indexing a real pain. I've been doing some stuff in the HKV on that, and I'm getting dizzy.

I do hope that the locker-room scene is still used for the gossip about Meji blowing up the ice. That was a really well-conceived scene that gave a good sense of what the social dynamic was like and how Meji, surprise surprise, didn't fit into it well. I thought this was a very good arc in the original, and it would be hard to improve on. Of course, the need to spread out the dialogue, for dead-tree publication, requires that it be done. I just hope it works as well as the original.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
raphfrk
Forum Regular

Post by raphfrk »

Graybeard wrote: The "new art" isn't all necessarily new. We have seen the upper panel previously here, later in the flashback. Not sure about the lower panel.
Looks like it is actually the same art, but horizontal flipped (and zoomed/rotated). You can see the three students to the right of the tree in the lower panel also appearing to the left of the tree in the upper panel.

Anyway, wasn't complaining, just meant that the page had different art. I was doing the matching based on the text, and it is the first page of the flashback.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

This page appears on the right-hand side of the book, and so acts as a transition page into the flashback. The art is indeed scavenged from later, because I needed something evocative to work as an establishing shot to anchor the transition. This transition page has been broken off from the rest of the original first page of the flashback because of the usual too-much-text problem, but breaking up the text also allows a bit more focus on the gossip specific to characters we care about on the following page. I'm amazed anyone caught the addition of another swear word. I did it partly because the bubble seemed kinda wishy-washy sitting alone at the bottom of the page without it and the extra vehemence seemed more like typical teenage exaggeration, but I confess I'm also guilty of just trying to make the text a bit more bubble-friendly. Another text trick is that on this page, all of the text is slightly smaller... both to highlight the art better, and because it's all happening from kinda far away.

In general, the flashback art is going to be almost all the same art as in the original, but in a few cases it's been expanded to fit the new panels. The pages are more spaced out because of the heavy text issue, but otherwise should be spiritually about the same. The big change is really that these pages actually WON'T be shaded, the line art is really beautiful all by itself and I rearranged the pages/text with that in mind. The only page I made Poe completely redo will run on Tuesday, but even though the page looks completely new, it's still assembled from the original art for it. I actually spent several hours turning that into a guide for Poe to reink the panels, because he was being a big whiny-butt about redrawing the lockers.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.