2013-09-30: Patreon and New Comics

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2013-09-30: Patreon and New Comics

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: 2013-09-30: Patreon and New Comics

Post by Graybeard »

I'm taking the liberty of turning this topic into a sticky. This is important.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
raphfrk
Forum Regular

Post by raphfrk »

Patreon is a pretty good idea. It means that donations are more directly linked to content production.

Standard subscription systems are a fixed fee every month, so there is no incentive to actually produce content. Subscribers might bleed away as the content rate drops, but no direct (and instant) feedback.

Interesting that it is fully trust based. The artist says that they have completed a page and the patrons get a chance to decide if they still want to pay. Payments happen once per month.

If it becomes popular, there could be ebay-like ratings for sponsors (or just bans for people who spam).

I realise that it probably has something to do with credit card fees, but $1 per page is a little high. That is $52 per year, if there are weekly updates.

Obviously, there is a trade-off, a lower minimum means less money but possibly more people.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

It honestly never occurred to me that $1 per page might be considered high. Our average regular donation for the last nine years has been about $10 a month. At $1 per page, that works out to between $4 and $8 a month, so is less than the average.

However, patrons do have the ability to set a monthly budget for their tips. So you can realistically limit your monthly expenses further than the $1 per page, if you need to.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
raphfrk
Forum Regular

Post by raphfrk »

Imp-Chan wrote:It honestly never occurred to me that $1 per page might be considered high. Our average regular donation for the last nine years has been about $10 a month. At $1 per page, that works out to between $4 and $8 a month, so is less than the average.
It is probably just me doing to much math :). Your incentive content is only a few per year, so don't add up to much.

Setting a budget seems like a reasonable compromise. I guess if everyone did that, the pledges per page would drop after the first one each month.

Anyway, it is at 60% of the way to weekly comics :), seems like the system is working.
kyhm
New Poster

Post by kyhm »

Imp-Chan wrote:However, patrons do have the ability to set a monthly budget for their tips.
This is one of several things I really like about Patreon. I finally got tired of waiting for them to get Paypal together and signed up tonight.

One thing I noticed, though: when I signed up I picked the $10 reward tier 'cause I've always enjoyed the odd non-canon things Poe draws... The description didn't say anything about physical goods, which I'm not big on anyways, but Patreon required a physical mailing address for me to make the pledge.

On the subject of pages vs months it seems every webcomic/webserial I read who's doing Patreon is setting up for $X/month rather than $X/page. That seems to work out well for the creator in terms of estimating cashflow, and it's handy for backers in terms of budgeting.
Immanio
Forum Regular

Post by Immanio »

I posted about this in the Patreon feed, but I'll post it here as well: It seems Patreon didn't charge me properly for January? It charged my old per comic charge for the Jan. 3 comic, but not the new per month amount. Is that the same for everyone?

On a side note: Woah, kyhm? Are the old kyhm forums still alive?
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

The old forums are alive and planning a reunion.

The physical address is required because one of the goal levels involves prints, and I will most definitely check into the billing thing.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Evelyn
New Poster
Twitter @: Evelyn26

Post by Evelyn »

Imp-Chan wrote:The old forums are alive and planning a reunion.

The physical address is required because one of the goal levels involves prints, and I will most definitely check into the billing thing.

^-^'
i must say its interesting that it is fully trust based. The artist says that they have completed a page and the patrons get a chance to decide if they still want to pay. Payments happen once per month.
radleyo
One Post Wonder
Twitter @: radleyo

Post by radleyo »

Evelyn wrote:
Imp-Chan wrote:The old forums are alive and planning a reunion.

^-^'
i must say its interesting that it is fully trust based. The artist says that they have completed a page and the patrons get a chance to decide if they still want to pay. Payments happen once per month.
Hey everyone! I'm serializing the new Fante Bukowski book as well as a new diary comic here on my Patreon. Check it out!