2008-09-08 "So Awesome!"

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
RubberBandMan
Errant Scholar

2008-09-08 "So Awesome!"

Post by RubberBandMan »

That is a phrase I did not really expect.

"That elf with a blatant crush on you" is a good name for Misa, don't you think?

I remember the Ensigerum being called breeding stock before, but surely someone has explained the facts of life to her, right? That you need two genders to get knocked up?
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2008-09-08 "So Awesome!"

Post by davester65 »

See! See! I was right! First some friendly sparring, then. . . :D Ok, maybe I wasn't the only one who saw this coming. You know, for 1500 years old, Misa can really act like a little kid. Of course we all expect that unless Sara really holds back she'll kick Misa's ass, but maybe not. Imagine, they start fighting, everything seems to be going Sara's way, but then everything changes, because suddenly it's revealed that Misa is really one of the DREADED HONEYED PUNISHMENT VIRGINS!!! :o :shock: :o Ok, I admit it I get silly at 1:30 am, but darn it I'm bored. I'm working a 24 hour shift and I've done only three calls since 8 am Sunday.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Unless Sarine warned her about the time magic, I doubt Misa can keep up if Sara really does give it everything she's got.
RubberBandMan wrote:I remember the Ensigerum being called breeding stock before, but surely someone has explained the facts of life to her, right? That you need two genders to get knocked up?
That would go a long way toward explaining the Elves' low birth rate.
davester65 wrote:You know, for 1500 years old, Misa can really act like a little kid.
Treat someone like a child, and she'll act like a child.
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by davester65 »

BloodHenge wrote:
RubberBandMan wrote:I remember the Ensigerum being called breeding stock before, but surely someone has explained the facts of life to her, right? That you need two genders to get knocked up?
That would go a long way toward explaining the Elves' low birth rate.
Who knows, maybe the elves have no real concept of heterosexuality/homosexuality. You know, two elves like each other, they make whoopie and gender is only a consideration if they're trying to make a baby.
wrog
Errant Scholar

Post by wrog »

it's also quite possible that Misa is really, really skilled at tournament fighting (1500 years of experience) and so it's Sara that's about to get her head handed to her (at least until she starts breaking the rules...)
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Misa is certainly a bit bubbly and unused to dealing with people outside her own culture, but what about this bit of initiative is "childish"?

As Wrog notes, Misa is a trained soldier from an elite unit with centuries of training behind her. She has every reason to think she can outfight or at least hold her own against any human fighter. She may or may not be assuming that Sara would not use magic in a sparring session, and Sara may or may not be stupid or petulant enough to break discipline to use it.

What would be really be a hoot is if Sara has a sulk-attack, uses time magic to wipe the smile off Misa's face, and finds out that Misa is following an updated training doctrine and using a time damping shield as part of her practice routine. "Sorry about that headache, Miss Monk, lets try again! Like I said, give it all you got!"
RubberBandMan
Errant Scholar

Post by RubberBandMan »

Hell, its most likely the only type of fighting she could of gotten skilled with. Its not like there are roving bands of trolls for random encounters, or other elves to kill. Even if there were elves to kill, she wouldn't be the one taking those jobs.

On one hand, Misa is stronger, faster, and better trained in real martial arts then Sara is. On the other hand, Sara has a much more refined Killer instinct, and won't get distracted or let her mind wander.

Course, if Sara shows off her Time-Fu, Misa is gonna get thrown around without a doubt.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

RubberBandMan wrote:That is a phrase I did not really expect.

"That elf with a blatant crush on you" is a good name for Misa, don't you think?

I remember the Ensigerum being called breeding stock before, but surely someone has explained the facts of life to her, right? That you need two genders to get knocked up?
Not to seem out of step with modern Japanese and American culture, but is it possible Misa just likes and admires Sarine and there is no romantic/sexual attraction involved? And Jon has simply been watching too many school-girl anime?
RubberBandMan
Errant Scholar

Post by RubberBandMan »

That is very likely, with a dash of hero-worship, but come on. Its Jon, even if he suspects its not true, he's going to say it anyways. He's prolly been thinking of the dirtiest way to say it since he noticed it. He's just making fun at Sarine's expense like he normally does.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Boss Out of Town wrote: Not to seem out of step with modern Japanese and American culture, but is it possible Misa just likes and admires Sarine and there is no romantic/sexual attraction involved? And Jon has simply been watching too many school-girl anime?
Aw... Don't crush my lesbian fantasies here!

Seriously, though, what we have here could easily turn into that famous militaryn saying "No combat ready unit has passed inspection, no inspection ready unit has passed combat." It all depends on Misa. She's had 1500 years of training... and no real application. It's probable that her trainers have real combat experience, but she herself, as RubberBandMan states, would have gotten no opportunity to get any of her own. Unless her trainers have been REALLY good at simulating real combat conditions, she's going to be doing things from the prespective of tournament regulations, and safety rules, and proper form...

Sara, on the other hand, has seen the elephant. She may have no where near Misa's experience, but she has the practical real world experience. Dirty tricks, a practical understanding that there are no points for landing a blow second, and form doesn't matter if you stick it to em.

If Misa has a good head on her shoulders and her trainers have been able to get a sense to her that there's a time to chuck out the book, she'll be fine. If, on the other hand, she's very stuck on tournament play... she's done. The fact that she gleefully is suggesting live blades implies to me that she's clueless...