2009-12-02: Not gonna happen!

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2009-12-02: 12/02/2009

Post by Itterind »

cburke wrote:You know, Sara could have used time magic between panels. Either way, she's on top of her game. She only got captured when the elves basically appeared right on top of her and her friends. I knew there was no way that loser elf would be able to get to Meji.
That looked like a pretty standard block and flip-shove to me, I think Sara is worried about using magic right now.

Pillaroforder wrote:Heh, Palpatine: "You're too late, young Jedi". OTOH the elf probably knows 'slow fall' spell, unless Sara knocked him unconcious. Interestingly she didn't go time warp and really brought a world of hurt on this guy. Looks like her earlier threath was more bravado than anything else, even if she did toss him over. I mean he is still in one piece.
We've never seen a single spell like that so far. The kinetic output of all the spells I've seen in Errant Story wouldn't be enough to save him, except for the giant rock 'earth smash'.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

mediocrates wrote:Why is it that when making bridges over very long (and arguably unnecessary) drops no one ever thinks to include hand railing? Talk about not being OSHA compliant.

Then again all the people who are supposed to be there can fly, so I guess the architects can be forgiven for that this time around anyway.

Ever been to Hong Kong? Railings here are often extremely annoying obstructions to obstruct pedestrians so cars can make quick passes around tight corners. Quite often a car comes barelling down a road out of control for some reason and there's nowhere to run because of the railings and people get killed. Kudos GTA for when it happens to a bus and a whole row gets splattered. The safety and concern for timesavings and carelessness provided by railings is usually far outweighed by the dangers and inconveniences they cause.

Though to speak the truth railings would be good for lesser beings in this hallway of Senilis, however, they aren't supposed to be there in the first place - it's a rest home, not a tourist spot. Adventurers beware!

But yeah, adding a slow-fall something would be a nice thought... Railings too would be kind and responsible if annoying for anyone that can fly or take a fall, but if the Gods could foresee that probably a lot of things would be different.
I do admit I thought of the same though, when I first saw the interiors. However I agree with the architect's choice, regardless of safety. This is much prettier.
Initial B
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2009-12-02: Not gonna happen!

Post by Initial B »

I thought Slow Fall Exactly was what Warrel(?) did when he and Sara ambushed Jon in the Church many , many chapters ago. Either way, I think Sara is taking to heart Sarine's comments that Magic can only take you so far (from when they were sparring in the forest many chapters ago). And I recall that Anita mentioned that Sara was probably the best at sparring, not relying too much on her time-magic that might soften those skills.

It looks like Meji might be out cold for a couple of hours, I wonder if she'll go through a drunk-with-power type of experience like Ian did. It's a good thing the Paedagogusi are there - they won't harm anyone until they can get Senilis out of Meji. And if they can't, maybe they'll give her some quick pointers on how to use the power to aid with what is undoubtably a steep learning curve.

Now, if worst comes to worst and there is a showdown between Meji and Ian, who would you place your bets on? Meji probably has more formal training, but Ian has had the power longer and has probably the better killer instinct.
No One
Errant Scholar

Post by No One »

Itterind wrote:We've never seen a single spell like that so far.
Sure we have.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

No One wrote:
Sure we have.
Interestingly Sarine doesn't bother with one.
http://www.errantstory.com/2006-10-13/573

From when Ian was practicing levitation we know (via Meji) that it's really hard, like the Tsuiraku record is 30 second or something. So slow fall is possible but may take a lot out of you.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Itterind wrote:
mindstalk wrote:Does Sara, like, alternate in usefulness? Win, captured, win, captured...

Another one bites the dust. Unless there's a rescue by act of fairy or Meji. So what, three elves left, one unconscious? Sensible guy, flames and bondage girl, "I wasn't worthy" guy?
Why would anyone bother rescueing him other than the other elves?
Crazy ideas like respect for sapient life? Not that Meji's the best candidate for that but still.
I can appreciate the goal in his mind, even though he's totally wrong and Meji is the perfect choice, but he still tried to commit the horrible act of gutting a young girl. Noone present has the time and resources necessary at the moment to save him and possibly have him reeducated.
He did, but given that he's probably anticipating something like Ian's massacre, it's rather understandable. Given that Meji was there protesting the massacre, she might understand. Her rescuing him might well be re-education all by itself.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Itterind wrote: Ever been to Hong Kong? Railings here are often extremely annoying obstructions to obstruct pedestrians so cars can make quick passes around tight corners. Quite often a car comes barelling down a road out of control for some reason and there's nowhere to run because of the railings and people get killed.
...something must be really weird and probably wrong with your road design.
cayen
New Poster

Post by cayen »

*mega-lurker comes out of hiding*

Anybody else look at today's comic, and giggle "she's totally getting an 'A' on her school project"?
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

mindstalk wrote:
No One wrote:
Sure we have.
Interestingly Sarine doesn't bother with one.
http://www.errantstory.com/2006-10-13/573
From when Ian was practicing levitation we know (via Meji) that it's really hard, like the Tsuiraku record is 30 second or something. So slow fall is possible but may take a lot out of you.
Even without using whatever basic chi power she might use, Sarine's got the muscle density and discipline of a healthy leopard or jaquar. A casual twenty foot drop isn't even miraculous for her.
History celebrates the battlefields whereon we meet our death, but scorns to speak of the plowed fields whereby we thrive; it knows the names of kings’ bastards but cannot tell us the origin of wheat. This is the way of human folly. --- Henry Fabre
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

cayen wrote:Anybody else look at today's comic, and giggle "she's totally getting an 'A' on her school project"?
She'll be 4 days late, and thus won't pass.