2009-12-02: Not gonna happen!

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
DatDude
Errant Scholar

Re: 2009-12-02: Not gonna happen!

Post by DatDude »

oos we now have alt text

" Elf fall down the hole "

heheh tiny toons was awsome
The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death however mutable man may be able to make them our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light. Stanley Kubrick
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

The problem in Hong Kong applies to pretty much every modern city in Asia, and the trouble isn't really road design, but driver education and attitudes. Seoul is champion, though. Particularly the motorcycle deliverymen with those giant, usually very dented and rusty, propane canisters. Between them and...well, a lot of other things, it's a miracle there's a city there at all.

I've been run over as much as (or more than) the average person, and most of those were in Seoul. Once by some police.

As for the Elf...slow fall should work, even though it makes you an easy target for anyone with a ranged weapon. Or who can fly and decides to be upset about being magically tied up and generally disrespected. Or is cranky about being woken up (well, probably it won't matter which particular mood she's in, though lack of a hammer could...make that a slow death?).

I think that Sara's pretty competent in a fight, she's just not invincible, particularly against experienced casters who gang up on her. Even Ianilis has trouble sometimes. Jon and Sarine are (usually) better at picking their battles, but they need help too sometimes. Meji...if Ian's case is any indication, she won't really be coherent for a bit. But anyone who tries to stop Senilis taking his new ride out for a spin is probably not going to get much joy from the effort.
Kill...more...elves.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2009-12-02: 12/02/2009

Post by Itterind »

No One wrote:
Itterind wrote:We've never seen a single spell like that so far.
Sure we have.
Oops, I was wrong. On further elaboration from others though it does seem that the high kinetic output makes it almost impossible to keep up for long. I wonder how hard it would be to cast while falling and if it'd take more juice to throw it the higher the velocity. At any rate for a very long fall it would be wise to delay if one can.

mindstalk wrote:Crazy ideas like respect for sapient life? Not that Meji's the best candidate for that but still.
I can appreciate the goal in his mind, even though he's totally wrong and Meji is the perfect choice, but he still tried to commit the horrible act of gutting a young girl. Noone present has the time and resources necessary at the moment to save him and possibly have him reeducated.
He did, but given that he's probably anticipating something like Ian's massacre, it's rather understandable. Given that Meji was there protesting the massacre, she might understand. Her rescuing him might well be re-education all by itself.
My post’s statement of expecting no one to bother rescuing him was not a dig at the value of sapient life.
Appreciating the goal in his mind and finding his motives understandable sound like the same to me, except the latter may seem or be more sympathetic. In that case I’ll clear up that I do sympathize with him and consider this a waste of life, but that I probably consider the fact that he is wrong right now more important relative to his motives than you do.
I did consider that Meji would want to save him, but I never went to thinking about how great that would be unlike her saving the other elves because I don’t consider her as a person who could set aside resources to save him at the moment. She’s doubled up and absorbing God juice so unless the process is really fast the elf will be splattered unless he can slow-fall at the right moment or long enough and the landing area isn’t lethal.
It would be fantastic if the elf lived. In general I have supported and still hope the elven race will do well in this story, and believed and still believe that their mission was a good idea.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

mindstalk wrote:
Itterind wrote: Ever been to Hong Kong? Railings here are often extremely annoying obstructions to obstruct pedestrians so cars can make quick passes around tight corners. Quite often a car comes barelling down a road out of control for some reason and there's nowhere to run because of the railings and people get killed.
...something must be really weird and probably wrong with your road design.
You're right.
But to clarify as I may have misrepresented somewhat in case anyone misunderstood: by 'quite often' I actually meant 'it happens now and then'. The railings don't make accidents, nor is the traffic chaotic, but the rules are basically 'cars are more important than pedestrians at all times so there will be inconvenient crossings for pedestrians so cars can cut down on their travel time by not reducing their speed at corners (since they don't have to worry about pedestrians cutting across close to their turn)', as for the horrific accidents what the railings do is trap you once it happens, they don't actually cause the accident, just cut down on the escape routes a lot.

ChunLing wrote:The problem in Hong Kong applies to pretty much every modern city in Asia, and the trouble isn't really road design, but driver education and attitudes. Seoul is champion, though. Particularly the motorcycle deliverymen with those giant, usually very dented and rusty, propane canisters. Between them and...well, a lot of other things, it's a miracle there's a city there at all.

I've been run over as much as (or more than) the average person, and most of those were in Seoul. Once by some police.
Basically things have gotten much better here after the British (whom were better rules in many ways) left, as the Chinese road laws are quite strict, not that it was horrible before 97', but it was quite bad. What I meant though was a more limited gripe about the infrastructure. Everything is fenced off to save time for drivers so they don't have to think because the city thinks drivers are more important people while they're driving (usually not the case, though the argument merits some points). I don't really mind though I have an engineer friend who bitches about it, but it does freak me out that I have nowhere to run if anyone loses control. Thanks for sharing on Seoul btw., I didn't know the traffic was that bad there, just that it was rowdier. o_0

cayen wrote:*mega-lurker comes out of hiding*

Anybody else look at today's comic, and giggle "she's totally getting an 'A' on her school project"?
Yes! Totally! :D I'm glad for her. I also hope she lives... *worries*
And it doesn't matter if she's late by 4 days. I'm sure she can convince the authorities to grant her a special extension.
0m3g413
New Poster

Post by 0m3g413 »

Itterind wrote:

Anybody else look at today's comic, and giggle "she's totally getting an 'A' on her school project"?
Yes! Totally! :D I'm glad for her. I also hope she lives... *worries*
And it doesn't matter if she's late by 4 days. I'm sure she can convince the authorities to grant her a special extension.
And if they don't, she can challenge and summarily defeat the entire faculty, thereby automatically graduating with honors.
normalphil
Heretical Monk

Post by normalphil »

Well, now I am.
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

Yup. The flying devil-cat is sizzling, being forced to endure divine power blasting through the link between sorceress and familiar. Considering what that damn glowy-crap does to half elves, I am really curious to see what it does to an indestructible abomination before man, god and nature. That creature should be able to channel way more glowy-crap before passing out that Ian or Meji ever could.
Of course my old cracktastic theory on Meji and Ellis inevitably fusing into a half-insane, feral looking (but largely unclothed) woman with bat wings and a hankering for armageddon with a heavy sideorder of man-slaves is still up in the air.
Sareth wrote:I'm actually going to rule that this is definitely a case of coitus interuptus prematurus gawdammiticus.
Dallen Andair
Errant Scholar

Post by Dallen Andair »

Labrat wrote: ...
Of course my old cracktastic theory on Meji and Ellis inevitably fusing into a half-insane, feral looking (but largely unclothed) woman with bat wings and a hankering for armageddon with a heavy sideorder of man-slaves is still up in the air.
o_0

What the hell goes on in your head, Labrat?
Yenhael: Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein!
Ian: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!
runic
Errant Scholar

Post by runic »

the slow fall spell might work unless of course space in the area plays out like mario brothers and he starts falling through the floor which leads to the ceiling and so far. all of this mearly being to creat a cool little backdrop for what happens next.

actually it was more like "who's the kefka wannabe now" but largely i concur
Dallen Andair wrote:
Labrat wrote: ...
o_0

remember now, if you ask the question you have to hear the answer. and labrat is consistent if nothing else
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

Dallen Andair wrote:o_0

Oh, oh... trust me. The rivers of bilious effluvia that spew forth from the twisted cage that is my skull are legendary [1] in these parts. Within fifteen minutes of my signing up on the old forum (hallowed be its name) [2] I was juggling more sins and glittering shards of crazy than Vegas. I believe it started with a giraffe and a lightpost and went downhill from there. [3] That was, what, 2003 or thereabouts?

Its a pity we don't do initiations anymore. It has been so long since I got the chance to cornhole some poor kid whose only crime was wandering into the wrong corner of the internet. I weep. [4]

[1]- Typically the sort told to small children to make sure they behave. They fit into the same class as Pedo-Santa, Toilet Sharks, and Raul Julia.
[2]- Ia Ia Khym Ftagn!
[3]- A crate of Floria oranges may have also been involved but all related evidence was seized by court order.
[4]- IGNORE ME.
Sareth wrote:I'm actually going to rule that this is definitely a case of coitus interuptus prematurus gawdammiticus.