2011-07-18: Futility

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
raphfrk
Forum Regular

Re: 2011-07-18: Futility

Post by raphfrk »

davester65 wrote:Maybe after you finish using time magic there is a brief "cooling off" period where you can't use it again for a few seconds. Sara can out of blur a moment before Paul did, so she was able to go all Alfred Bester a moment before Paul did. The down time was just enough for Jon to get a few shots off.
Alternatively, he may have spent some power blocking the bullets, which slowed his recharge, which would make Jon's actions the opposite of Futile.

Also, adrenalin due to "I am going to die" might have helped Sara.
icekatze
Forum Regular

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Maybe he's got one of those revolvers with an extra big capacity, like the Lefaucheux 12 round or 20 round.
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

Jon obviously has a backup gun hidden somewhere. Given how often he manages to pull out a gun after having obviously been disarmed more than once, he must have several.
Kill...more...elves.
Elessar
Forum Regular

Post by Elessar »

I figure Paul just responded the way he would always respond. Block.

I doubt they're trained to expect their opponents to have access to time-magic as well. In any situation but this one (where Sara is given time to recover), the blocking would be fine. But muscle memory is working against Paul for once.

Not sure why people believe that's arrogance. It's not like access to time-magic allows you to always figure out your optimal move.
Dallen Andair
Errant Scholar

Post by Dallen Andair »

Oh, look. Mr. "Huur I have more powur uf darkness than you!" is blocking bullets. Errantverse needs burst-capable weaponry.
Yenhael: Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein!
Ian: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Dallen Andair wrote:Oh, look. Mr. "Huur I have more powur uf darkness than you!" is blocking bullets. Errantverse needs burst-capable weaponry.
I dunno, six-guns are capable of a fairly high rate of accurate fire, depending on the skillz of the shootist, of at least 60 rpm, modulating up to 180 rpm. An FN P90 PDW is only good for 300 rpm and that's not all that accurate. An FN FiveseveN can be fired almost that fast and it's a semi-auto pistol. Don't underestimate six-guns in the hands of a good shootist. The only limitation there is the capacity and that can be mitigated with speed-loaders ;)

:catgirl:
S L A M L A N D E R
Isn't Sarine technically a MILF?
ChunLing
Advocate of Justice

Post by ChunLing »

I doubt Jon is carrying a speed loader rather than a couple of hold-out guns. In most situations where reloading matters, having a backup gun is faster and more convenient than having a speed-loader. And that goes about a million-fold for situations where the problem is that you have lost your primary weapon for some reason.

The discussion of "accuracy" is meaningless anyway in the case of blind-fire, which is essentially what Jon is resorting to against a monk...even when that monk decides to stay mostly visible and only move his weapon at super-speed. Though for purely suppressive fire, rpm is all that matters...well, it matters more than accuracy. But you can adjust the buffer and spring in a P90 to get up over a thousand rpm if you want, it's just kinda stupid for a PDW to fire bullets that fast in most situations. Actually, I really don't understand the point of full-auto weapons anyway. If you want pure volume of fire, throw some grenades or whatever. If you want suppression, use a string of fire-crackers (you can even throw them and get suppression without making yourself a target). That said, a variable length burst of automatic fire precisely aligned with the aim-point of your weapon is sometimes very desirable, and there are few practical ways to achieve that effect without something resembling a full-auto mode.

So I guess what I'm saying is that, for purposes of this discussion, I can see merits to pretty much every point of view.
Kill...more...elves.