2012-02-16: Reappearance

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
eee
Errant Scholar

Re: 2012-02-16: Reappearance

Post by eee »

Does anyone else think Sarine's "only saw Meji a handful of times after that" comment is a bit wistful? Her quasi daughter surrogate has left the nest and never calls, never writes, never visits... Not that she was ever able to establish close emotional ties with Meji, both because of Meji's personality and because they were in a constant whirl only an inch from death most of the time. But still...
Rakshasa Taisab
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Rakshasa Taisab »

eee wrote:Does anyone else think Sarine's "only saw Meji a handful of times after that" comment is a bit wistful? Her quasi daughter surrogate has left the nest and never calls, never writes, never visits... Not that she was ever able to establish close emotional ties with Meji, both because of Meji's personality and because they were in a constant whirl only an inch from death most of the time. But still...
There's not enough wist in this world to fill the beaker from which we mere morals drink this bitter wist. Sarine never was that _close_ to Meji, at best she was the crazy aunt that was kinda planning on killing you for the insurance money, but found that you had other potentials
raphfrk
Forum Regular

Post by raphfrk »

Labrat wrote:I have to wonder though: Is direct reconfiguration of rubble so difficult that telekinetically moving in individual loads of pre-manufactured construction material is preferable? Because going Full Metal Alchemist just seems so much more Meji's style.
It could just be raw materials and/or they are artefacts of some kind. They want those actual objects in their temple.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

A responsible Godess indeed. The only high-odds prediction I made that came true, but if I had to choose one it would have been this.

You make us all proud Meji.

---
Yeah, the narration surprised me. Poe has become such a master, I only hope he will find some sort of outlet, whatever medium/genre it is, for his more epic impulses in the future.

Rakshasa Taisab wrote:
eee wrote:Does anyone else think Sarine's "only saw Meji a handful of times after that" comment is a bit wistful? Her quasi daughter surrogate has left the nest and never calls, never writes, never visits... Not that she was ever able to establish close emotional ties with Meji, both because of Meji's personality and because they were in a constant whirl only an inch from death most of the time. But still...
There's not enough wist in this world to fill the beaker from which we mere morals drink this bitter wist. Sarine never was that _close_ to Meji, at best she was the crazy aunt that was kinda planning on killing you for the insurance money, but found that you had other potentials
Well, she also got really sentimental and defensive of her.
taltamir
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by taltamir »

Tortenschachtel wrote:
sarevock wrote:And as usual human beings tent to shoot first ask questions later.
Considering the last person who showed up that way devastated half of the city ...
To be fair, he didn't.
Ian did a lot of stupid shit but all the damage was caused by their stupid and misguided attacks against him.
Its like, they nuked themselves to get him and he happened to survive.
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

Rakshasa Taisab wrote:These poor lost souls are in desperate search of a new idol to worship, so do not be so condescending towards a bit of manual labor. After all, a bit of carpentry is enough to get a billion of so souls to be your devoted slaves.
Only if the carpenter gets nailed to a piece of wood in a wonderful fit of irony.
Sareth wrote:I'm actually going to rule that this is definitely a case of coitus interuptus prematurus gawdammiticus.
raphfrk
Forum Regular

Post by raphfrk »

taltamir wrote:ts like, they nuked themselves to get him and he happened to survive.
Well, they nuked him and he deflected it back at them.
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

taltamir wrote:
Tortenschachtel wrote:
sarevock wrote:And as usual human beings tent to shoot first ask questions later.
Considering the last person who showed up that way devastated half of the city ...
To be fair, he didn't.
Ian did a lot of stupid shit but all the damage was caused by their stupid and misguided attacks against him.
Its like, they nuked themselves to get him and he happened to survive.
Everyone forgets that that's not how it happened. He showed up by creating a magical thunderstorm that started ripping apart buildings, THEN they sent Lumi at him because he was attacking the city's religious center. I'd hardly call their attack stupid and misguided. Flailing and desperate, maybe.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Yeah.

"Close emotional ties," maybe not, but strong feelings are a different matter. Those, she's definitely got. To me, the Crowning Moment of Awesome in the entire story was right before the big sex scene, when Sarine got up from her sleeping bag, looked at Meji, and tucked her in like a good mother would. That moment, more than any other, suggested that if I lived in the Poe-verse, I'd be willing to spend the rest of my ephemerally short human life making Sarine happy, or at least trying.

I wonder who Sarine is talking to here. Presumably that will be revealed in the next strip or two, but any ideas? I can imagine her saying this to a nearly-adult child who was wondering how her parents ever got together.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

Tiamat wrote:Everyone forgets that that's not how it happened. He showed up by creating a magical thunderstorm that started ripping apart buildings, THEN they sent Lumi at him because he was attacking the city's religious center. I'd hardly call their attack stupid and misguided. Flailing and desperate, maybe.
That's what I remember too. Dispelling Lumi did the most damage, but siccing him was an act of self defense.

Graybeard: Yeah, that was definitely one of the best moments in the comic.