2013-02-15: [CT] Those Pesky Flashbacks

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-02-15: [CT] Those Pesky Flashbacks

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for Those Pesky Flashbacks
Disciple of Sakura
Forum Trainee

Re: 2013-02-15: Also stop showing people photos of your gran

Post by Disciple of Sakura »

y'know, I dont' think it ever occurred to me that she'd cast a spell. I just kind of assumed the woman didn't take to her sass and wandered off, likely grumbling about the state of young people "these days," and such.
eee
Errant Scholar

Re: 2013-02-15: [CT] Those Pesky Flashbacks

Post by eee »

Now that we know pretty much the whole story, I have to say this scene is really sad. Sarine tries to reduce her eight years with What's-His-Name (with all the joy and agonized heartbreak) and his death to just another memory. Instead of "the greatest happiness, and most horrible events, of my life". Her stoicism isn't convincing even herself, she's obviously still hurting. I would imagine in the jail cells was the first time she told anyone about this. And perhaps the point at which she actually started healing...
Elessar
Forum Regular

Post by Elessar »

Sad, but also a reminder of the excellent forethought and planning that went into the story. Her pain really underscores that Elven desire for their love to die in a timely fashion, so that they don't grow apart. The desire is a naive fantasy though, and Sarine's heartbreak is the real result.
badtux
Forum Trainee

Post by badtux »

The first time through I sort of assumed this was like the "Oh s***" scene where everybody jumped out of the way when she dropped her hood and showed off her Elven ears. I.e., when scary elf person says "you can go now", you go, because otherwise she might decide to start tossing *you* around.

It didn't occur to me that this was some sort of elven mind control magic, when it was already shown that elves were feared as murderous a-holes in this universe and thus simple fear sufficed...