2013-03-22: [CT]I Like Guns!

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-03-22: [CT]I Like Guns!

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT]I Like Guns!
lyze
Errant Scholar

Re: 2013-03-22: [CT]I Like Guns!

Post by lyze »

I don't know about him really needing character growth. What I always liked about him was that he seemed like he was already the older guy that was already wise (in relation to the other characters anyways) from his worldly experience and all we were seeing was some of his cynicism dropping away. Being around the crazy half elf, her zany animal sidekick and a bit later the somewhat neurotic elf brought out of him some of the more youthful mirth he'd been missing from having to be so serious in his profession all the time.

It's kind of like while Meji developed into an adult and started taking things more seriously, Jon went through a second childhood and learned to find the humor in the terrible situations he got into and have fun again.
Bytemite
Resident Wormhole Lawyer

Re: 2013-03-22: [CT]I Like Guns!

Post by Bytemite »

I dunno, I think that this is in character for Jon straight up, regardless of character growth. Major parts of Jon's character have always been genre-savviness, his jokes, and his "hit-man with a heart" thing, plus seeing Meji as a stand-in for his little sister.

So not only is his offering advice to Meji in character, but his half-hearted/deliberately comedic attempt at reverting to his cold-blooded jerkass act he's put on the last few days (or week?) when he's called on it is also in character. It just reveals a side of his personality that was not really in focus for the early parts of the story but was there even when he was taking Meji hostage to escape the guards. And he stays consistent with the not-really-a-jerkass-just-genre-savvy angle through the rest of Errant Story, so it works.