2013-03-29: [CT] Word of the Skeptic

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-03-29: [CT] Word of the Skeptic

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT] Word of the Skeptic
hkmaly
Forum Regular

Re: 2013-03-29: [CT] Word of the Skeptic

Post by hkmaly »

Wait ... what weapon of mass destruction? I mean, we know about the alien liveforms and I do think I remember some sort of deal between elves and Veracia ... but I don't remember anything about northern confederacy.
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

[ Low Ironic voice ]Ah.. ah.. ah.. ah.. ah..[ /Low Ironic voice ]

So... In one post, so very early in the story, Poe was giving us all the sub secret of the ES nations...

Well played, sir... Well played...

(Hkmaly: Northen Confederacy resisted Veracia expention ambition thank to a strong technological advantage they gained by reverse-engineering the high-tech dwarven cities ruin.
They also sold (probably thru black market) some of the least advance of those technology to others who really wante them (like the Gewehr Wraiths), which is the reason Jon have guns and rifles.
And since those guns and rifles are the low end of their aresenal...)
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

One thing this comment makes me wonder: is the portrayal of Dwarves as a "lost race of humans" one of the big secrets being dropped here, or is that just the spin that's still been put on it? (Cause we still have the mystery of where humans came from, and "Dwarves engineered themselves to be able to breed, possible with elf/troll DNA as a guide" is one of the contending theories).
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

Forrest wrote:One thing this comment makes me wonder: is the portrayal of Dwarves as a "lost race of humans" one of the big secrets being dropped here, or is that just the spin that's still been put on it? (Cause we still have the mystery of where humans came from, and "Dwarves engineered themselves to be able to breed, possible with elf/troll DNA as a guide" is one of the contending theories).
According to... someone... the dwarf ruined city were use/claim by some humann limi (including the church?) to be old advance long lost human cities as a "proof" that human existed before the rest and were more advance than anyone before being carelessly put down and enslave by jealous elves.

I did, along with other people (a long time ago), come with a theory:
The trolls where created to be complementary to the elves in the goal to make them cross breed so their offspring whould have the caracteristic needed for the "gods" adgenda (creation viable host?), without the flaw of each pure race (the "right" host would be obtain by refining the subjet by selecting breeding over numerous generation (centuries? millenia?).
The dwarves, aware of the "gods" plan and seeing the racial cleansing of the troll by the elves, tried to prevent the failure of the divine plot by the (fanatic and self-imbued) elves, by creating a sudo-troll race who would carry some key troll caracteristique (fast reproduction, mortality, strive of exist) but mix with some more elf-like physical trait, in the hope that the similarity between sudo-troll and elves would prevent the latter to be exterminated by the former, and even copulate with it.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Neko7 wrote:According to... someone... the dwarf ruined city were use/claim by some humann limi (including the church?) to be old advance long lost human cities as a "proof" that human existed before the rest and were more advance than anyone before being carelessly put down and enslave by jealous elves.
Yeah, that's the spin I was referring to. I think Ian mentions that on one of the next few pages when Meji or Jon ask "Dwarves?"
I did, along with other people (a long time ago), come with a theory:
The trolls where created to be complementary to the elves in the goal to make them cross breed so their offspring whould have the caracteristic needed for the "gods" adgenda (creation viable host?), without the flaw of each pure race (the "right" host would be obtain by refining the subjet by selecting breeding over numerous generation (centuries? millenia?).
The dwarves, aware of the "gods" plan and seeing the racial cleansing of the troll by the elves, tried to prevent the failure of the divine plot by the (fanatic and self-imbued) elves, by creating a sudo-troll race who would carry some key troll caracteristique (fast reproduction, mortality, strive of exist) but mix with some more elf-like physical trait, in the hope that the similarity between sudo-troll and elves would prevent the latter to be exterminated by the former, and even copulate with it.
Yeah, I was a fan of theories like that, though we know now that the part about the Trolls being purpose-built as they were is false, because of Meji's revelation, which showed that the gods' faltered in their efforts when trying to create the Trolls, that they were a catastrophic failure, and lead almost immediately to the gods' deaths. So the Elves were kind of right about the Trolls being a mistake. (Doesn't excuse the attempted GENOCIDE!, but still).

The possibility of the Dwarves having somehow either made or become Humans is still an intriguing one, including the idea of them fixing the trolls by making them more Elf-like, or fixing themselves (their inability to breed or use magic, specifically) by mixing in bits of Elf or Troll. Humans seem to bear closest resemblance to Elves, were initially mistaken for small Trolls by the Elves, and have claimed Dwarven civilization as their ancestors, so there's connections in every direction.

I'm still a fan of the theory that Humans are what the composite alien beings also known as "gods" were composited from, and what they fell apart into when their collective collapsed, myself.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."