2013-04-02: [CT]Historical Revisionism

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-04-02: [CT]Historical Revisionism

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT]Historical Revisionism
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Re: 2013-04-02: [CT]Historical Revisionism

Post by Forrest »

The Comment Golem wrote:Discussion thread for [CT]Historical Revisionism
Ooh, a Dwarf! We get to see a Dwarf! :D
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Poe wrote:Yeah, was totally going for a weird agnostic technology advanced ancient mesopotamia/egyptian thing with the Dwarves.
Funny thing is, I'd argue that what you got was more of a weird agnostic technology advanced Mongolian thing. This guy looks like he's about to saddle up and ride off to pillage Europe or something. Frankly, that's better, simply because fewer people do it.

This said, it is in some ways a rather incongruous design, largely because of the beard. Senilis and (obviously) Anilis aren't generally depicted with beards that we know of. A beard is a secondary sexual characteristic, and while we don't know whether the dwarves had sex -- Kawaii's retrospective on the subject is, well, weird -- we do know they couldn't reproduce. So where do the big beards (which we suspected would be there, having already seen images of Luminosita) come from? 'Tis a mystery.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Elessar
Forum Regular

Post by Elessar »

Graybeard wrote:Funny thing is, I'd argue that what you got was more of a weird agnostic technology advanced Mongolian thing. This guy looks like he's about to saddle up and ride off to pillage Europe or something. Frankly, that's better, simply because fewer people do it.
I think Poe is more referring to the background, which comes across as fundamentally Egyptian. The obelisk in particular, though the temple design too.

For reference, take a look at the well preserved Hatshepsut's Obelisk.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Elessar wrote:
Graybeard wrote:Funny thing is, I'd argue that what you got was more of a weird agnostic technology advanced Mongolian thing. This guy looks like he's about to saddle up and ride off to pillage Europe or something. Frankly, that's better, simply because fewer people do it.
I think Poe is more referring to the background, which comes across as fundamentally Egyptian. The obelisk in particular, though the temple design too.

Fair enough. Mongols ravaging ancient Egypt, then? No more anachronistic than a lot of popular histories are...

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Graybeard wrote:
Elessar wrote:

Fair enough. Mongols ravaging ancient Egypt, then? No more anachronistic than a lot of popular histories are...
Like the Olmec of South Dakota in "National Treasure 2"?
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Graybeard wrote:
Poe wrote:Yeah, was totally going for a weird agnostic technology advanced ancient mesopotamia/egyptian thing with the Dwarves.
Funny thing is, I'd argue that what you got was more of a weird agnostic technology advanced Mongolian thing. This guy looks like he's about to saddle up and ride off to pillage Europe or something. Frankly, that's better, simply because fewer people do it.

This said, it is in some ways a rather incongruous design, largely because of the beard. Senilis and (obviously) Anilis aren't generally depicted with beards that we know of. A beard is a secondary sexual characteristic, and while we don't know whether the dwarves had sex -- Kawaii's retrospective on the subject is, well, weird -- we do know they couldn't reproduce. So where do the big beards (which we suspected would be there, having already seen images of Luminosita) come from? 'Tis a mystery.
Beard looks Assyrian to me.

Anyway, beards are no more incongruous than titmoths with tits and schoolgirl skirts.