2013-05-10: [CT] Not Quite a Treasure Map

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-05-10: [CT] Not Quite a Treasure Map

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT] Not Quite a Treasure Map
5Cats
Forum Regular

Re: 2013-05-10: [CT] Not Quite a Treasure Map

Post by 5Cats »

Meji looks GREAT on this page!
Of course she'd know a little about them! She's been studying magic and stuff, correct?

I'm wondering: Are these re-draws or just reposting of the original ES series?

ES-OS = lolz! (ES-NG, ES-DS9, ES-V & etc...)

I think it's been mentioned, possibly several times...
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

5Cats wrote: I'm wondering: Are these re-draws or just reposting of the original ES series?
There's quite a bit of new and/or re-drawn art in these, resulting from the desire (right, Impy?) to break up some of the wall-o-text pages for hard-copy publication. Compare the original, here. In this case I think the new art works very well. Ian looks more more like the overly idealistic, adventurous kid he is (and 40-year-old half elves can still be kids) rather than a proto-monster as in some of the recent redraws. This is much more consistent with Ian the way he was.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Believe it or not, most of the art on this particular page is original-ish. I took the original art, chopped it up and resized it appropriately, and printed it out as red lines for Poe to re-ink and expand as needed. Then he scanned the re-inked panels and we put the page back together again. The only entirely original panel on this whole page is Ian in the bottom left corner.

Yes, most of these pages are split in order to break up the walls of text, but it's also about the flow of the pages within the book. We've started a new system for Poe to create the additional art (which you can see here), and it's working much better than how he did the added panels on the earlier pages.

The upcoming few pages are going to look a bit weird in comparison to the old versions... that's because they've been rescanned and cleaned up with an eye towards the shading that will happen for the final books.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
5Cats
Forum Regular

Post by 5Cats »

Thanks for the answers you guys! I have the books upstairs, but am far to lazy to go look for myself...
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

That all makes sense, Impy. The two images of Meji are very close to the originals, and you have to look carefully to see where they've been redrawn -- a few nuances of eyes and eyebrows, and one has just a slightly sharper facial shape, all consistent with Meji starting to take a critical look at this mysterious book and getting fascinated (perhaps more so than her words let on). The switch from dark to light background in the second panel and the main lower one will work better in printed form. And the one "new" thing is Ian back to being the idealistic adventurer, starting to get excited about what he's doing. This page works.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

The lighter background won't actually be a light background, it will shaded much darker. It's only light here because we haven't done any of the shading yet.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.