2013-05-17: [CT] It's Cold

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-05-17: [CT] It's Cold

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT] It's Cold
Bytemite
Resident Wormhole Lawyer

Re: 2013-05-17: [CT] It's Cold

Post by Bytemite »

Provided he's in a fairly slow moving and calm part of the stream, maybe it was hot enough to melt some rocks a little in the vicinity? Maybe he was holding some rocks that the spell heated up, that he could then drop into the water around him.

I dunno.
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

If it worked then it definitely killed all the fish in the surrounding area. Turning a cold river into steaming bath water has got to be bad for the environment.
Immanio
Forum Regular

Post by Immanio »

Well, this is Ian we're talking about. Seeing the consequences of his actions and avoiding collateral damage were never his strongest suits, were they?
hkmaly
Forum Regular

Post by hkmaly »

I remember Lina Inverse doing something similar ... but it was a pond, not river, and she is crazy powerfull.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

dark_lord_zagato wrote:If it worked then it definitely killed all the fish in the surrounding area. Turning a cold river into steaming bath water has got to be bad for the environment.
Without getting all physics-y, catgirl-killing-y, etc., I don't think there would have been much effect. For one thing, the area of effect is limited, and most fish won't stick around when a large, clumsy terrestrial beast gets into the water. (Furthermore, some of the ones that might, i.e., the ones with a bad habit of swimming up one's important bits, are probably better off cooked anyway.) For another, the temperature increase required to turn "cold" water into "warm" water suitable for bathing really isn't that great, as anyone who's tried to regulate jacuzzi temperature down to the tenth of a degree (which users can notice) will tell you.

However, the other point --
Immanio wrote:Well, this is Ian we're talking about. Seeing the consequences of his actions and avoiding collateral damage were never his strongest suits, were they?
-- is certainly sound. This was a harbinger of things to come, in terms of Ian not thinking things through on an immediate, "tactical" scale, even though he'd planned carefully for the long term.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.