2013-05-23: [CT] Wakey, Wakey

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-05-23: [CT] Wakey, Wakey

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT] Wakey, Wakey
hkmaly
Forum Regular

Re: 2013-05-23: [CT] Wakey, Wakey

Post by hkmaly »

I don't believe Meji would return home before ninth month of pregnacy. Not to speaking about fact she's supposed to already have experience in area of how to enjoy sex without getting pregnant.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

The new bottom panel is good.

I'm not a particular connoisseur of cuss words, but Impy, why did you change the "h*ll" in the last one to "f*ck"? Isn't that a move away from keeping the printed product in PG-13 space? Or is it such a trivial move that it doesn't matter? In any event, I'm curious about it.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
5Cats
Forum Regular

Post by 5Cats »

I vote for: High Fantasy Adventure!

The "After School Special" would be fun too! But painful to watch.

Ellis would make an excellent babysitter, eh? :roll:

Truth be told: It might go a long way to "normalizing" Meji's Mom (aka: Grandma!)
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

5Cats wrote:I vote for: High Fantasy Adventure!

The "After School Special" would be fun too! But painful to watch.

Ellis would make an excellent babysitter, eh? :roll:

Truth be told: It might go a long way to "normalizing" Meji's Mom (aka: Grandma!)
What a horrifying thought.

:o

Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Meji actually never uses hell in the dialogue for the comic anymore. There's no reason why she would, being from an isolated aggressively atheist culture, so it was one of those little things Poe and I were quietly fixing along the way.

We also long since gave up on a PG-13 rating. The ratings system is kinda meaningless for comics, anyways, especially the ones that are independently published and distributed.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Imp-Chan wrote:Meji actually never uses hell in the dialogue for the comic anymore. There's no reason why she would, being from an isolated aggressively atheist culture, so it was one of those little things Poe and I were quietly fixing along the way.
I'd suspected as much, in view of this earlier thread, which I wish had generated more discussion.

It's no skin off my nose/Arsch/whatever which particular cuss words the characters use, but personally, I don't really think you need to go to the effort to do this. Two points. First, Meji wouldn't be speaking English here, she'd be speaking either Veracian or Tsuirakuan, depending on whether she stayed "native" since the conversation is happening in Veracia or returned to her first language. In either case, the language would have its own distinctive cuss words that would mean nothing to us but would map into the general "language" of English profanity. The details of that mapping needn't concern Errant-Story-philes any more than the mapping of firearms or architecture does. Some details are worth caring about, a great deal, because they impact the story. Others are not. I think this one falls in the latter class.

Second, Tsuirakuan culture may be "aggressively atheist," but it isn't really "isolated" any more and hasn't been for two hundred years, which is plenty of time for a language to evolve. (Anybody want to prioritize the cuss words used in English circa 1800, in terms of their heat and offensiveness? There would be some surprises.) It is also time enough for it to assimilate terms from other cultures it deals with, even cultures it doesn't particularly like, like the Veracian one. The notion of a place of eternal punishment might be alien to Tsuirakuan beliefs (un-beliefs?), but it would still be handy to have for situations like this one. Consider: how would an atheistic but intensely magical culture view the subject of "curses" to begin with? I think the concept would have to exist, if for no other reason than that some vengeful mage might look into using magic to adversely affect the luck of his adversaries. That would provide a good "hook" to hang Veracian profanity on once the language was discovered, never mind that the profanity would be drawn from a set of beliefs Tsuirakuans don't have -- except for curses.

Final note: you're REALLY going to make this change and leave the "Deus Ex Machina" pseudo-spell intact?...

BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Well, rough language generally falls into a few broad categories, such as the blasphemous, scatalogical, sexual, and familial. Some cultures lean heavily in one direction or another for largely arbitrary reasons, and atheism is as good a reason as any to lean away from blasphemy. Whatever language Meji is actually speaking, I'm comfortable assuming the translation convention is simply feeding us the closest English equivalents.
Bytemite
Resident Wormhole Lawyer

Post by Bytemite »

Meji arrives home and becomes part of the Tsuirakushitti Teen Mom reality show.

THE WORLD BURNS EITHER WAY
erejnion
Forum Trainee

Post by erejnion »

Not to mention that there are all reasons for Meji herself to lean towards sexual.