2008-03-26 There's a reason for that

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Kian
Forum Regular

Re: 2008-03-26 There's a reason for that

Post by Kian »

That's mean of her. Poor Jon can't actually remember it. Of course, that could also be used to mortify her mother further. Not only is her daughter sleeping with humans, she's actually sunk to using date-rape magic on them.
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by davester65 »

Kian wrote:That's mean of her. Poor Jon can't actually remember it. Of course, that could also be used to mortify her mother further. Not only is her daughter sleeping with humans, she's actually sunk to using date-rape magic on them.
I think Jon ought to go over and start flirting with Sarine's Mom. It would have the dual benefit of horrifying Sarine's Mom and embarrassing Sarine at the same time. :twisted:
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

davester65 wrote:
Kian wrote:That's mean of her. Poor Jon can't actually remember it. Of course, that could also be used to mortify her mother further. Not only is her daughter sleeping with humans, she's actually sunk to using date-rape magic on them.
I think Jon ought to go over and start flirting with Sarine's Mom. It would have the dual benefit of horrifying Sarine's Mom and embarrassing Sarine at the same time. :twisted:
After the press conference (or whatever you want to call this meeting). There's no time right now.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Michael Poe wrote:I really wish I had done that flashback of Sarine talking with her mother about becoming a ranger that I had wanted to put in chapter twenty one.
Believe me, you don't wish it half as much as we do. That would be 99.44% essence of wow.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

davester65 wrote:
Win!
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

I don't think it would be a smart move. Sarine's mom may try to kill him, unless Sarine does it first. ;)

But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be awesome!
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

mindstalk wrote:
davester65 wrote:
Win!
:P :P Ohhh . . . yeah, that scene I would pay extra to see.
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Pillaroforder wrote:But I thought they sent Lumi only when they thought the Elves went extinct. Certainly an occasional sighting of an elven ranger would convince the church of the opposite? And didn't Sarine say the Lumi incident convinced the Elves it was high time they said hello to the rest of the world?
As we saw with both Sarine and Sarne, Elven Rangers can be quite circumspect.

Thanks Poe, for the additional info. Now, dutifully entered into the Wiki.
Last edited by Slamlander on March 27th, 2008, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Michael Poe wrote:
Graybeard wrote: The "relation" is no surprise; Sarine alluded to her "mo-- relations" on her previous trip back to the cave, talking to Misa about how she became a ranger. The "five hundred years" part is more interesting, because as far as we can tell, the elves have only had rangers out there for two hundred years, i.e., since Luminosita came calling. Either that is incorrect and the rangers were out before the barrier came down, or the thing that mortified her mother is unconnected to being a ranger.
It's worth noting that becoming a ranger is general considered an honorable thing for a elf... leaving the safety of their majestic city to go perform the dangerous, nasty, though honorable duty of hunting down errants... and the perfect thing for say a, known human-fucking malcontent who brought noting but shame upon her entire house and relations, to redeem herself for fighting on the wrong side of the war.

I really wish I had done that flashback of Sarine talking with her mother about becoming a ranger that I had wanted to put in chapter twenty one.

This implies that the half-elf == Errant faction is in control of Praenubilis Astu?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Slamlander wrote:
Michael Poe wrote:
Graybeard wrote: The "relation" is no surprise; Sarine alluded to her "mo-- relations" on her previous trip back to the cave, talking to Misa about how she became a ranger. The "five hundred years" part is more interesting, because as far as we can tell, the elves have only had rangers out there for two hundred years, i.e., since Luminosita came calling. Either that is incorrect and the rangers were out before the barrier came down, or the thing that mortified her mother is unconnected to being a ranger.
It's worth noting that becoming a ranger is general considered an honorable thing for a elf... leaving the safety of their majestic city to go perform the dangerous, nasty, though honorable duty of hunting down errants... and the perfect thing for say a, known human-fucking malcontent who brought noting but shame upon her entire house and relations, to redeem herself for fighting on the wrong side of the war.

I really wish I had done that flashback of Sarine talking with her mother about becoming a ranger that I had wanted to put in chapter twenty one.
This implies that the half-elf == Errant faction is in control of Praenubilis Astu?
Of course they are. Wasn't that obvious from --
  • The fact that Sarine bugged out ASAP?
  • The way Misa described Sarine (approvingly) as "sneaking around the others' backs"?
  • The behavior of the council when Sarine confronted them before?
However, I don't take Poe's comment as necessarily saying Sarine was on "the wrong side" from the standpoint of elven society; she's "on the wrong side" from her "relations'" point of view. In many regards, Sarine is an elven hippie, having tuned in, turned on and dropped out of elven society (albeit via a totally different mechanism than the hippies did). Some hippies had passively supportive families; some were completely disowned; many were in between. But a very common theme among those families was social conservatism, which is what their kids were rebelling against.

The interesting thing is that Misa sounds like an elven-hippie-wannabe. Wonder what her relations think of her?...

Incidentally, something that bugs me about this story, as about so many others in the genre (and in fiction in general), is its seeming inability to identify any notable figures, whether heroes or villains, whose relationships with their families aren't screwed up something awful. The one thing I appreciate about the fiction of Tom Clancy, who otherwise IMO went from writer of moderately interesting techno-thrillers to torch-and-pitchfork-bearing Neanderthal as he got famous, was that his heroic figures tended to include happily married men (and occasionally women) who loved their wives and kids, hadn't been raised in dysfunctional families, and never lost sight of family while they were off being heroic. One need not be raised, or continue to live, in a dysfunctional family to be worth writing about.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.