2008-04-07 Rumble in Brighton tonight

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Re: 2008-04-07 Rumble in Brighton tonight

Post by Slamlander »

SkArcher wrote:The Anilis.

Is that a typo, an elven way of speaking, or a slip of the tongue on yon elfs part?
Given that Anilis is powerful, unique, and has a unique reference (name), The Anilis may actually be considered appropriate. Who is the Goddess?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Is that a typo, an elven way of speaking, or a slip of the tongue on yon elfs part?
Looks intentional to me, and it does have interesting implications, doesn't it?

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing in this confrontation, because it doesn't seem to me as though, apart from the accusation that the council is withholding key information, Sarine has said anything really provocative or sensitive -- yet. By going ballistic at her, this guy has in essence made her point for her: "it must hurt, he's saying ouch." He is the one who is revealing the connection between this errant and (the) Anilis for the masses. Sarine has just complained about the elves bagging Meji.

A few years ago my boss got called to testify before Congress on a certain matter, and had a confrontation with a clown like this elven mucky-muck. He handled it far more gracefully than Sarine, but it contains a powerful lesson on the way these people work. I'll post details if there is interest, minus a few things that are best forgotten.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Sure, post it. Might stimulate some conversation.

This guy is just trying to cast as much doubt on Sarine as possible, and dragging up anything she may want forgotten would be the best way for him to do so, since he seems to lack any real evidence to the contrary. Classic manuever for people lacking the necessary debating skills. If you can't address the arguement, attack your opponent.
Seth
Forum Trainee

Post by Seth »

Well.. technically Sarine just said that confidential information existed. The guy attacking her is the one who actually spilled the beans.

Moot point really, since Ian's going to turn the whole mess into common knowledge.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

I got the impression that we skipped the part of the conversation where Sarine spilled the beans, while the camera was over looking at Meji and Ian.

"And there's something that you don't know ..." DUN DUN DUN

Meanwhile: yadda yadda ... "Ian, WAIT!" ... fwoosh ...

Back in the courthouse: [GASPS!] "Sarine, this is an outrage! How dare you tell everyone that an errant sucked off our goddess" etc.
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by davester65 »

In panel three Sarine looks about angry enough to challenge yon Elf to a duel. Jon looks a bit concerned himself, so he might be getting the same vibe off Sarine. If time permitted, it would be easy enough for Sarine to prove the guy wrong about Sara at least. Just have her use her time magic to run around and pick everyones pocket in about 1/2 second. :shock: If she can prove him wrong about Sara, people might believe he's off on the other stuff. That point is pretty moot now anyways. Maybe I'll finally get to see if I'm right in my pet theory that Anilis herself is pissed at the Elves.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

I think it's because saying "a Anilis" and "an Anilis" both sound silly.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Vavrek wrote:This makes me wonder if Sarine was officially kicked out of the Viradior. As I understand it, an officer is still allowed to wear the official dress uniform after (s)he retires, which may be more convenient than getting a civilian suit. Even though Sarine's armor is a far cry from a dress uniform, something about that elf's tone makes me wonder.
But then, it's not unusual for a human to refer to his parents as "mom" and "dad" until the day he dies. Elves may have different rules regarding retired or discharged military officers.
Viking-Sensei wrote:

I think it's because saying "a Anilis" and "an Anilis" both sound silly.
But then, one doesn't normally use a definite article along with a proper noun. Unless one is a pretentious asshole referring to oneself in the third person.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I have not asked Poe about the use of "the," but... what if Anilis is a TITLE, not a NAME?

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Michael Poe
The Almighty Poe

Post by Michael Poe »

Yeah... that 'the' is a typo, sorry.