2008-04-11: You're getting Elf gore on my coat.

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2008-04-11: You're getting Elf gore on my coat.

Post by BloodHenge »

Boss Out of Town wrote:Yeah, why would Ian care a rats ass about Sarine?
Because Meji cared enough to mention her.

That's the only reason, and a big part of my point.
Primarch
Forum Regular

Post by Primarch »

This is all assuming Sarine just doesnt use the ian be gone grenade the second she sees him.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Primarch wrote:This is all assuming Sarine just doesnt use the ian be gone grenade the second she sees him.
I wonder, if you drop a magic-nullification grenade at your own feet, does it make you immune to magic which others (outside the blast radius) are trying to cast on you?
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

I would doubt it, unless a spell happened to enter the blast radius during the detonation. That would negate that particular spell, but not subsequent ones.

Unless it's like one of those bubble shields from Halo 3. That could come in handy.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

DarkIntruder wrote:I would doubt it, unless a spell happened to enter the blast radius during the detonation. That would negate that particular spell, but not subsequent ones.

Unless it's like one of those bubble shields from Halo 3. That could come in handy.
Hmm... I was under the impression that the effect of the grenade was to disrupt magical effects within the blast radius, presumable for some non-trivial period of time. Otherwise, you'd have to throw it at whoever you don't want to cast magic right as they're about to cast a spell; and then they could just wait whatever kind of refractory period spellcasters have, and cast again. Seems kinda useless if that's the case. Much more useful if it leaves some kind of magic-disrupting effect in place for a bit.
Yar Kramer
New Poster

Post by Yar Kramer »

Me, I'm trying to imagine what Ellis would be saying in the last panel. Unfortunately, my brain's being nonfunctional and I can't come up with anything good. The best I can do that isn't a monosyllable (or "Well ...") followed by a profanity, is "You know what, how about I just not bother" or something like that.

And I formally disapprove of Ian's disregard for sapient life.
Insane_Megalomaniac
New Poster

Post by Insane_Megalomaniac »

"TETSUO!"
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Yar Kramer wrote:And I formally disapprove of Ian's disregard for sapient life.
He only has disregard for life that has disregard for him.
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Forrest wrote:Hmm... I was under the impression that the effect of the grenade was to disrupt magical effects within the blast radius, presumable for some non-trivial period of time. ... Much more useful if it leaves some kind of magic-disrupting effect in place for a bit.
According to the canonical in-comic description, that's exactly how it works and probably why it took a while to develop.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Forrest wrote:It's not like elves are people or anything; they're just arrogant mindless killing machines, after all...
The real problem is the red shirts these soldiers wear under the fancy armor.