2008-04-21 - Yeah, I'm okay wit dat ...

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Re: 2008-04-21 - Yeah, I'm okay wit dat ...

Post by Boss Out of Town »

There's a filter on the word GENOCIDE!? How does that work?

Hmm . . . all caps and an exclamation point? Well, I'm intimidated. It's a modern term, anyhow, for something very old. People trying to kill off the other guy's tribe has been around for a long time. The usual results, were (a) Success, (c) Failing and coming up with an alternative, like a truce or peaceful co-existance--until next time, (b) Giving up when the threat lessened because it was too much work to finish the job, (d) Giving up because moral restraint actually worked, (e) Giving up because moral restraint cut in after the threat was removed and the victims had been thoroughly dispossed, (f) Giving up because servitude and exploitation were more profitable, and finally (g) Succeeding not out of deliberate intent, but out of ignorance and callousness.

Andy of these outcomes could still occur in this situation. Mutual extermination is still possible, with the humans left to clean up.
Last edited by Boss Out of Town on April 24th, 2008, 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

Boss Out of Town wrote:There's a filter on the word GENOCIDE!!? How does that work?
My guess? Viking decided to amuse himself. But yeah, any time you type 'geno-cide' (hypen to avoid filter) it turns all caps with an exclamation point. A lot of forums filter swearing out, but sometimes an admin will get bored and play with the filter settings to amuse themselves. It's kind of like auto-correct on Shittysoft Word.

Oh you guys.
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by davester65 »

Just some random brain squeezing's here. Does Ian want to wipe out the Elves? Hell, yes. Does he want to do it right now? Right now I think Ian is mainly concentrating on getting Meji and Jon out of the city. So, maybe not today. Do all the Elves deserve to be wiped out? Of course not, but the Elves as a whole made themselves a bed way back when and Ian plans to make them lie in it now. Payback is a bitch and it's not always fair.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Tiamat wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:There's a filter on the word GENOCIDE!!!? How does that work?
My guess? Viking decided to amuse himself. But yeah, any time you type 'geno-cide' (hypen to avoid filter) it turns all caps with an exclamation point. A lot of forums filter swearing out, but sometimes an admin will get bored and play with the filter settings to amuse themselves. It's kind of like auto-correct on Shittysoft Word.

Oh you guys.
Guilty as charged. You all saw Poe's side comic in the news post, right? I'll turn the supah GENOCIDE! filter off in a couple days.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Viking-Sensei wrote:
Tiamat wrote:
Boss Out of Town wrote:There's a filter on the word GENOCIDE!!!!? How does that work?

Oh you guys.
Guilty as charged. You all saw Poe's side comic in the news post, right? I'll turn the supah GENOCIDE!! filter off in a couple days.
Did you also filter pedophilia?
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

BloodHenge wrote:
Viking-Sensei wrote:
Tiamat wrote:My guess? Viking decided to amuse himself. But yeah, any time you type 'geno-cide' (hypen to avoid filter) it turns all caps with an exclamation point. A lot of forums filter swearing out, but sometimes an admin will get bored and play with the filter settings to amuse themselves. It's kind of like auto-correct on Shittysoft Word.

Oh you guys.
Guilty as charged. You all saw Poe's side comic in the news post, right? I'll turn the supah GENOCIDE!!! filter off in a couple days.
Did you also filter pedophilia?
Obviously not, but he should.
Sheik Yerbouti
Forum Trainee

Post by Sheik Yerbouti »

And here I was thinking everybody was saying GENOCIDE!! on purpose... :P
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

This is almost as much fun as when my argument with Onion back on Khym got "tl;dr" filtered to "I am too stupid and/or lazy to read your post."

Almost.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Errant Story forums: where pedophilia goes unfiltered1
erewhon
Forum Regular

Re: Yeah, I'm okay wit dat ...

Post by erewhon »

Boss Out of Town wrote:
erewhon wrote:The book An Intimate History of Killing is a good place to start for the psychology of martial murder.
Ian, though, is a civilian. He has no sanction from another group. He just wants to start at a and get to b and I don't think anyone in his way has a chance.
Again, that thing about applying 20th Century Western liberal legalisms to a extra-legal adventure story.

I don't recall Samwise Gamgee signing any enlistment papers or going to boot camp. His companions cheered him when he killed his first orc.

Off the fantasy track, when the Cheyenne women cheered for their men going off to take on "Yellowhair", Custer, then used knives and hatchets to finish off the wounded scattered on that barren hill above the Little Big Horn, no one was checking their paperwork to see if they were non-combatants. That camp in Montana was their Santurial, and, as far as they knew, those horsemen were seeking out their last refuge to kill them all. Generally, history cuts you a little slack in that situation.
Ah, you deliberately misconstrue my words to make what point? I make a psychological point, and you mention legal activities. What are you, a lawyer? Those Indian women were acting with the sanction of the group. Sam Gamgee's actions were sanction retrospectively, but IIRC, he'd had prior examples of the group sanctioning similar behaviour. When the Irish kerns were finishing off the French knights at Agincourt, they acted with the permission of the group. I repeat, Ian is a lone individual needing no group sanction to complete his killing spree; rather, he is more akin to a serial murderer, let loose from all norms and restraints. He makes his own rules, and has the power to enforce them.